[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Classic novels and poems about Satan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: OB0067.jpg (271 KB, 800x389) Image search: [Google]
OB0067.jpg
271 KB, 800x389
gentlemen, I ask you if you know classic novels or poems about Satan. I love the story of Dr. Faustus and Mephistopheles by Christopher Marlowe. Share your knowledge about it.
>>
>>7605920
Paradife loft
>>
>>7605920
Milton wrote a poem about him IF I RECALL CORRECTLY. Lost Paradise or something
>>
>>7605924
you;'re thinking of east of eden
>>
>>7605920
"Classic" ending at what time period? Turn of the last century?
>>
>>7605927
That's Morton Steinback
>>
>>7605920
Let's see, Dante's Inferno is loosely centered around satan, The Monk is pretty evil, though satan is not involved directly, Jurgen I believe satan hangs around a bit, Melmoth the Wanderer, definitely has some satan in it, Bulgakov's Master and Margarita has Satan throughout, and is pretty darn good, I believe Twain wrote a book about satan, or short stories?
>>
>>7605928
consider from 1600 to the beginning of 1900
>>
>>7605940
i know very well Dante's Divina Commedia, i'm italian, it's a masterpiece. The Monk is a gothic novel, I'm quite interested on this kind of novels. Paradise Lost by John Milton, is also a good one. I don't know the other novels/poems, let me see...
>>
>>7605940
Twain one is The Mysterious Stranger, and it's not actually "the" Satan, just a regular angel calling himself that - unless he's lying and it really IS. Great novella either way.
>>
>>7605980
Yes, the Divine Comedy was amazing, though, i did have the general sentiment that it was less interesting the closer one got to god. Inferno was astounding, Purgatorio was less so, but still spectacular, and when Paradiso rolled around, I was checked out.
>>
>>7605992
I was thinking of Letters from earth? i think? i havent read it, but i just noted in passing. that does sound good, I might have to thumb through it at the next opportunity.
>>
>>7605994
in my opinion, Inferno is the most interesting part of the whole poem. I noticed as you go on in Purgatorio and then Paradiso the description of the characters or set becomes less intense and full of passion, if you know what i'm saying. However there are several moments, in Purgatorio and Paradiso, in which the speech reaches almost the sublime.
>>
just to step out of /lit/'s normal rotation for a second, you could consider: The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner
>>
>>7606031
pleb opinion

Inferno is objectively the least poetic part of the poem, and that was also by design. The poem "improves" as you go from hell to paradise to mirror the pilgrim's ascent
>>
>>7605920
Let me please introduce myself...
I'm a man of wealth and taste...
>>
>>7605920
The Master and Margarita
>>
>>7605920
Satans Diary by Leonid Andreyev

it is post WWI but very good, and short
>>
Master and Margarita
>>
Didn't Nathaniel Hawthorne piss his pants everytime he was walking along a road in the woods and enountered an old man?
>>
>>7606666
Satanic quads confirm The Boss and the Cocktail
>>
Georges Bernanos is THE protip
>>
Khalil Gibran wrote a short story titled 'Satan' that is worth reading. Hasn't been mentioned yet? C'mon /lit/
>>
>>7606031

all of the Divine Comedy is great. I think the general readership prefers the Inferno for its passion, and poets and writers tend to prefer Paradiso and Purgatorio. There's more intellectual thought put into the latter two parts (a lot of theology, book of Revelation symbolism, toying with Medieval philosophical ideas, etc.) but Dante (the character/narrator, not Dante the writer) is less purified in Inferno so we get more traces of his humanity: notably, his spite towards sinners who spited him personally in life, his tears upon seeing the worst of sufferers, his utmost wish to carry their memory back to the world of the living)

By Paradiso, in Canto I, Dante exclaims up front that he's not going to really be able to give Paradise the poetic justice of Inferno or even Purgatorio. He's changed -- he's on his path to God, PERSONALLY -- he's overawed and less human, he's pure.

It's all great but one part isn't better than the other.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.