[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non fiction general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: aping mankind.jpg (18 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
aping mankind.jpg
18 KB, 231x346
post your favorite non-fiction books and we can discuss them
>>
>>7599430
Definately that one.

I'd go with Frans de Waal or Kate Distin over that. But in terms of favourite non-fiction it would be Fear and Trembling or The World as Will and Representation. Tom Paine is good too - Rights of Man/The Age of Reason.
>>
>>7599430
>>7599481
Definately *not* that one.

But can I recommend to you E.O. Wilson On Human Nature and A Cooperative Species by Herbert Gintis

and Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson
>>
I'd love to see more non-fiction love.
>>
anyone else have a hard on for biographies? something feels so comfy about being halfway through a bloated 600 page biography of a favorite author/artist/musician
>>
File: Hells' Angels HST.jpg (35 KB, 302x513) Image search: [Google]
Hells' Angels HST.jpg
35 KB, 302x513
>>
The Normal and the Pathological by Georges Canguilhem
>>
>>7599430
I've never heard of this one but I'll have to check it out. I enjoyed Rupert Sheldrake's "The Science Delusion" and "The Nature of Formative Causation" which I believe are similar. I have "The Sense of Being Stared At" but I can't get into it right now.
>>
File: 1405544016272.jpg (817 KB, 1215x3031) Image search: [Google]
1405544016272.jpg
817 KB, 1215x3031
>>7599430
As of late, I've been picking up some of the books from the Iron Pilled list to sort of gain an opinion/perspective on Third Positionist, volkisch, and racial separationist schools of thought.

They're actually pretty interesting, from a scholarly point of view. The racial separationist stuff has had a really interesting resurgence in the new-right social ideology, where it seems to be more relevant than ever.

I do have a few questions that I hope get answered. Primarily, what happens to mixed race peoples and slave descendants who have no real connection to any african culture, inside a separationist reality.

And I wonder if that separationist (if it abides by that "separate but equal" ideal) and volkisch reality means that white people would leave large parts of the United states to the Native tribes that claim them.

Similarly, since third Positionist advocate neither communism nor capitalism, what is their preferred economic system?

And finally, if Christianity is rebuffed as a semitic outsider religion and European whites return to pagan worship, will there be any effort to reconcile these beliefs or to at least keep them non-hostile?
>>
>>7602060
These are the questions that I have had when reading similar texts. Don't have any answers, either.
>>
>>7601493
I'm gonna be brief because I'm on my phone on a boat, but: Caro's The Power Broker is pretty fascinating if you're into urban planning or New York history.

Also, I'm reading and enjoying Inside the Third Reich by Hitler's chief architect and armaments production overseer Albert Speer, who was very close to Hitler in the war years and has a lot of insight about the Fuhrer and other top Nazis.

Enjoying the recs ITT; keep em coming
>>
>>7601493
Every once in awhile I'll get into a musician's biography/autobiography. I read Miles Davis's autobiography last year and it was hilarious.

Pic-related was pretty interesting. It basically covers the graphic-design elements of terrorist iconography.
>>
>>7602060
I have a hard time taking a list with Savitri Devi on it seriously.
>>
Oh also, Gandhi's autobiography really inspired me
>>
Any biography on people with very unusual life?

like Vita by Benvenuto Cellini or Junger's Storm of Steel
>>
>>7603390
something by Renzo Novatore maybe
>>
>>7603352
I haven't picked up anything from Devi or Jack Donovan since they don't seem to be the most aware writers. Benoist's stuff is interesting though.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.