[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/th/ - theatre general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: theatre.jpg (87 KB, 1097x725) Image search: [Google]
theatre.jpg
87 KB, 1097x725
this is our homr until we get our own board
>inb4 >>>/lgbt/

what are you favourite plays?
>>
>>7597246
i wrote one a week ago in which 4chan was composed of a group of dogs, each board with its own personality based on the posts in their threads, and they all lived in a large home together, there was a lot of fucking going on. it didnt turn out well.
>>
>>7597257
post it if you're raw
>>
Personal recommendations for getting into theatre? I listened to The death of a salesman and I think that's the first time I've been moved. After that I read the Seagull and I felt so sorry for Irina
>>
>>7597260
i destroyed it, it didnt get further than a single short act in which sci developed a way to restore testicles, and lgbt became infuriated when b suggested that they could even give her testicles since she clearly wanted them so badly. of course, the one who neutered them all in the first place was pol, since he's against mutts breeding.
>>
>>7597271
ok yeah, nvm that sounds like a fanfic
>>
>>7597278
i told you it didnt turn out well.
>>
>>7597267
not an essential play but red by john logan is pretty much whiplash in play form
>>
>>7597246

oedipus cycle
philoctetes
Macbeth
Titus Andronicus
>>
>>7597292
>oldfag plays
kek, either you're grandpa or euphoric
>>
>>7597296

>WHY DO YOU LIKE THING?

I enjoy these plays, i think they have depth and even when reading or seeing them over time, I learn something new each time

They make me happy
>>
>>7597307
sucks to be you then, fedoralord
>>
>>7597311

;^)
>>
>>7597323
stop replying to me
>>
Some good ones

Red by John Logan
Anything by August Wilson
Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Richard the Third by Shakespeare

I honestly prefer musicals to plays, but I'll probably get called a fag for saying that, and I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to discuss that.
>>
>>7597332
musicalfag here as well.
there are good musicals. they exist, guys.
>>
>>7597331

ok how do I do it?
>>
>>7597332
>August Wilson
BLACKED
>>
>>7597366

OP was asking for the plays you like not the last website you visited
>>
>>7597390
jokes on you,.
I'm op
>>
buuump
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 400x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 400x484
>>7597246
I wanted to write a Spenglerian analysis of an Australian comedy called 'The Castle', then I wanted to write a play based on its general run of characters in a Medieval setting.

It wouldn't be a comedy but a sort of drama. It just struck me as being good source material, I guess.
>>
Has anyone seen August: Osage County? Did you like it? It's playing in a theater near me and I think I'll watch it. The reviews seem to be quite positive.
>>
File: red.jpg (58 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
red.jpg
58 KB, 560x375
Would anyone here rec going to see red?

I'm interested enough in the subject matter that I'm fine with it not being something great but I don't want it to be forgettable either.
>>
>>7599639
It's a really great show man, it has some amazing parts, and never really gets boring either. Also, it's pretty short (I'd say 80 or so minutes?) so it's not like you're losing that much time if you don't end up liking it.
>>
Anyone have a chart or something for the best Shakespeare movies? Any personal recommendations?
>>
>>7599639
No, rothko is never justifiable. Don't care how much philosophy his character can quote.
>>
>>7599995
Polanski's Macbeth has the best fights I've ever seen in a movie. Both historically accurate and intense as fuck.
The new Macbeth was ok, but in my opinion, some scenes dragged on for too long. Which is weird, considering the fact that it's 30 minutes shorter than Polanski's version...
Taymor's Titus also dragged here and there, but Anthony Hopkins and the design are still incredible and worth a watch.

>>7600015
Have you even seen the play?
>>
>>7597331
Epic. XDDD
>>
>>7600000
I am locating this post.
>>
>>7600080
>quints
boring. how slow is /lit/ anyway when quints are this rare?
>>
>>7600089
Well, they've happened 760 times since the beginning of lit.
>>
Developed a love for Richard II in particular. Although it's gotten plenty of love on the stage in the last century, it hasn't gotten much attention in the movies, unfortunately. I'm stuck with the Hollow Crown, which is great overall, but they really overplayed the "lol he's a fag" aspect to Richard's character. There's so much more to him than that.

Fundamentally he's a brilliant poet and actor/director in the drama of his own life. Half the fun of the play is seeing all the little ways his overdoing the "production" aspect of kingliness often leads himself to debase and unking himself. It really gets me in the feels when he dies like a man/king, unarming and killing several of his assailants. Despite his own best efforts to undo himself, knowingly or not, he was made of the stuff of royalty. It's hard to look back at the play as a whole and see were his nobler nature shines through his playacting.

And fuck Bolingbroke, that usurping asshole.
>>
>>7599995
Brannagh.
After reading Hamlet, Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern is awesome.
>>
Anyone are in spanish theatre... Lorca or arrabal?
>>
>>7600159
I haven't read Richard 2, but this all sounds interesting, I feel like maybe I'll have to give it a shot sometime. Of course, I already spend a lot of time reading plays because I'm A theatre major but if I can find the time soon I definitely will.
>>
>>7597246
>this is our homr until we get our own board
Isn't that in >>>/his/
Theatre is in arts right? And arts are in humanities?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.