[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book hard to read? I'm pretty entry-level but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: crime and punishment.jpg (580 KB, 978x1554) Image search: [Google]
crime and punishment.jpg
580 KB, 978x1554
Is this book hard to read? I'm pretty entry-level but I really wanna read this.
>>
>>7576191

What are some other things you've read? Any other Russian lit, for example?
>>
>>7576199
Like I said, I'm pretty entry-level. I have barely read in the last years, but I want to get into literature. I haven't read any other Russian lit, yet.
>>
yeah read it. its basic
>>
It's not hard.
>>
>>7576204
I'd suggest reading some of Dostoevsky's shorter stories first to see what you're getting into.
>>
>>7576191
Its not hard but for chronological purposes id start with notes from the underground first
>>
It's not hard, but sometimes is tiresome, especially for a entry-level.
>>
Dostoevsky is basically just a Russian Dickens, his books are long but easy to read.
>>
>>7576191
I'd just go for it. But you might want to compare different translations to see which you like the feel of, assuming you're reading in English.
>>
>>7576204

C&P isn't too bad as a first Russian novel and might be the best for Dostoyevsky (that or maybe The Idiot). Personally I think Dostoyevsky is very good and well worth reading. I will second what >>7576214 says about starting with something shorter, whether Russian or otherwise. One thing about Russian lit that can be confusing is the way characters are named and referred to: they have nicknames as well as patronymics (middle names based on their fathers; names), and they are referred to in a wide variety of ways.

You could start with short stories. For Dostoyevsky, you could look for a collection (or online, individually) for a collection with at least some of the following: 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding', 'White Nights', 'A Nasty Anecdote', 'The Crocodile', 'Bobok', 'A Gentle Spirit', 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'. Another excellent Russian short story writer--the best, really--is Chekhov, although some find him unexciting. For a more general collection/survey of Russian stories, Project Gutenberg has a good one here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13437

Dostoyevsky also wrote some really good novellas, if you want something in between lengthwise. The Double, The Gambler, and Notes from the House of the Dead are all excellent. Notes from Underground gets mentioned all the time too. (The other major Russian writer that I'd mention for novellas is Tolstoy: The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Hadji Murad, and The Forged Coupon are all good choices.)
>>
its easy
>>
>>7576271
thank you for the short stories recommendations!
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.