[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished this. What do you guys think of the characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
I just finished this. What do you guys think of the characters? Can we all agree brett is a piece of shit? Is jake's devotion to her his biggest (non-physical) flaw?
>>
Why? Even assholes and cunts have people love them more often than not, at least at one point in their life. I'm not sure why that'd be a flaw.
>>
>>7573611
But he was happiest in the book trout fishing with Bill and then being alone in San Sebastian at the end. Brett just used him as a security blanket. He had a much deeper connection with Bill or even the englishman they met fishing than her, but he's just drawn back over and over even knowing they'll never actually get married.
>>
>>7573666
That's what love does to you though doesn't it? It isn't always a deep attraction that lies in kindness and the ability to enjoy eachothers company as he did with those you mentioned.
>>
>>7573594
I read this awhile ago so I hope I still remember the story. I thought that Jake was smart enough to recognize that he will always still have the same attractions as any other man but will never be able to act on it, so he just enjoys the ride.

I wouldn't consider it a flaw since a lot of the male characters are attracted to Brett, something that can't be helped. Jake was a cool guy, I really liked him, I hated Cohn more than Brett. He let his devotion to Brett control him while Jake was still able to remove himself from her control while still enjoying her company.
>>
>>7574282
The whole cohn-mike situation seemed very real, the way they would rile each other up on purpose, the way the other characters talked behind their backs. I loved it.
I still feel like brett was the shittiest one out of all of them with her complacency. She clearly knew the same thing would happen with every man, but she did it anyway. Maybe that makes her more tragic than bad. Mike and especially cohn are assholes too though.
The fact that the aficionado guy (montoya?) disappears and won't talk to them at the end seemed very sad to me. The whole conclusion just had a sort of subtle sadness. Amazing
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.