[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick /lit/ I'm heading to the book store to pick up a bible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 392x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 392x476
Quick /lit/ I'm heading to the book store to pick up a bible I need for bible course I'm taking
Id like a Catholic version and the best one
>>
KJV
>>
Kjv for literary value

Oxford study Bible for learning
>>
>>7573349
For a class get the Oxford annotated RSV / NRSV
>>
>>7573349
The Jerusalem Bible. It's Catholic with about 40% of total text being annotations, and quite good too. Highly recommended.
>>
>>7573349
they didn't recommend a version for you?

when i was growing up, i had a new american bible, it's not as literary as the KJV, but it's a lot more clear
>>
File: 3285732975.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3285732975.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
KJV is beautiful and it's literary influence can't be understated but it's not a Catholic translation (though I'm not sure why a Catholic couldn't use it tbch).

The Douay-Rheims is sort of the Catholic KJV, it uses similar-sounding language.

If you want something with more contemporary English you can get the RSV-CE, RSV-2CE, or NRSV-CE. They're all based upon the Protestant RSV with some little revisions here and there. Pope Benedict XVI's works (translated in English) cited RSV-based translations a lot I think.

You can also get more hipster translations like the Knox Bible which is based on the Latin Vulgate.

Personally I have the RSV-2CE (pic related), it even has neat iconography on the cover.
>>
EOB: The Eastern Greek Orthodox New Testament
>>
>>7573349
>tfw that's my family bible
>tfw its image gives me a rush of childhood booksmell
brb becoming catholic post modern proust
>>
>>7573440
Why.
Orthodox can use the RSV/RSVCE/RSVACE, all three are much better quality in terms of scholarship.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.