[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scifi recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56 KB, 230x400
Hey /lit/, anyone read Dan Simmons's Hyperion series? Imo it's one of the best scifi series I've read. Do you have any scifi book recommendations?
>>
Read the first one; liked it a lot.
>>
>>7566850
Nice. Which of the 6 stories did you find the most interesting?
>>
>>7566826
Read it - I'll type out my thoughts on it in next post.

You should check out the next book (sadly falls off)

Some other good sci-fi I've read: Dune, Starship Troopers, The Left Hand of Darkness, Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Flowers for Algernon, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Is actually good, it's not pleb shit as 4chan says; nor is it a visionary masterpiece as reddit says)

If you want any more details about those lemme know
>>
A co-worker spent close to a year trying to hype this up for me. I could barely finish the first book, the author has some cool ideas but I wouldn't recommend it.

I suspect the hype/character trait spoilers he kept throwing at me killed it.
>>
>>7566860
OP here. Our local library doesn't have that many scifi books there, so my chances of finding a specific book are pretty slim. I know the basics of Dune but never had read any of it, it's been on my tracking list for a while. Adams's Hitchhiker has been recommended a fair bit to me, but haven't actually had the pleasure to pick it up due to being a tad too saturated in the media. Glad to know that it's not pleb shit. I've marked your suggestions, thanks.
>>
Why has this board gotten so much worse in the past month or two? Dan Simmons? Are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>7566865
OP. Yeah, one of my teachers had recommended Hyperion to me and hyped out Silenus's story so much that it lost all the surprise factor. I did like it though a lot.
>>
>>7566872
Ah that's too bad, my local library is absolutely baller - there's state/region wide connections between the libraries; if the book isn't there it gets shipped in from elsewhere.
>>
>>7566860
>If you want any more details about those lemme know
Not to be too offensive, but these are the same books that always get named first in these kinda threads. So people are probably vaguely familiar with them
>>
>>7566860
>>7566872
>>7566881

How did the last two books in the series hold up, I was a bit turned off after the second book and pursued other books.
>>
>>7566881
Ours would have too, but I've been more of a pick up and go sort of person. If I don't find a good scifi book on a glance, I'll resort to reading some good Russian literature or something like that.
>>
I dont remember their names on the top of my head, but i liked the priests story and the father/daughter one
>>
>>7566885
OP. Endymion and the sequel weren't anywhere great as the first two ones. If you've watched Bourne films, think of it as Hyperion and its Fall being the first three films, and the Endymion series as the fourth film. Same universe; not really the same catch.
>>
>>7566884

I was aware of them being popular, the response was specifically to OP - probably a bit too amibiguous - didn't know how versed with them he was; apparently only slighty with Dune and HG2G
>>
>>7566893
Lenar Hoyt and Sol Weintraub. I personally found the last ones (Lamia and the Consul) very riveting.
>>
>>7566895
Yup. I'm a newcomer to scifi series and I really know only the ones that are in my local library. Decided to pick up scifi after having read all kinds of dystopias and was very impressed with Hyperion.
>>
>>7566826
>>7566850
>>7566853
>>7566860
>>7566865
>>7566872
>>7566879
>>7566881
>>7566884
>>7566885
>>7566887
>>7566893
>>7566894
>>7566895
>>7566902
>>7566902
>>7566908

OFFICIAL HYPERION CHARACTER STORY RANKINGS - DESCENDING ORDER EDITION

>The Poet's Tale

>The Scholar's Tale + The Priest's Tale

>The Detective's Tale

>The Soldier's Tale
>>
>>7566916

EXCLUSIVE DLC

>The Consul's Tale - tied with the detective
>>
>>7566902
I stopped right before the consul story started. Considering burning through it.

Does anyone have any sci-fi recommendations for recent stuff?

I like the ideas of VR fiction like armada and ready player one, but at the end of the day they are just fun quick reads with forced references to some guy fapping over the 80's.

I just picked up the martian and saturn run but I don't have high hopes..
>>
>>7566918
OP here has read Ready Player One. I recommend if you're familiar with 80's references. It's really easy to just burn through the 500 pages, because it's not really focused on the writing, but on the references. Still, all fans of 80's want to read it. If not a fan, just skip, you won't get much out of it.
>>
Ready Player One
Armada
I, Robot
Martian
Magic 2.0 (audiobooks only tho)
>>
>>7566916
Priest's Tale was my favorite because I really like Ursula LeGuin

Detective's tale was my least favorite because I hate cyberpunk.
>>
>>7566875

He's been sparsely discussed for years.
>>
I loved Hyperion

Then I read the second book and I wanted to rip my own intestines out. Holy shit, how to ruin a series 101: by Dan Simmons
>>
File: 1397004100449.jpg (34 KB, 182x217) Image search: [Google]
1397004100449.jpg
34 KB, 182x217
>Artist didn't get the number of limbs right until the last book
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.