[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best career paths that an English/Philosophy major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9
What are the best career paths that an English/Philosophy major can take? I would like to maybe be a fiction writer some day, but I don't want to be a poor fuck while I'm writing the damn book either.
>>
By best, I mean careers with a decent salary/careers that don't take up all my time and ener so that I still have the ability to write
>>
paralegal
teacher
>>
>>7545783
Teach English in Asia, meet people, develop business contacts.
>>
>>7545846
Most teaching jobs actually take much more of your time than you'd think, especially when starting out. Some highly privileged positions have you live on a couple lessons a week, but people who would be eligible for those already know what they're doing, so that excludes OP.
>>
>>7545783
Get your bachelors, spend 6 months earning you TESL and spend the rest of your twenties/early thirties travelling the world, enriching the lives of children the world over and earning decent pay, all the while writing and conversing with an international community.

After that, if you're unpublished and still feel a yearning for intellectual satisfaction just go back to school for your PhD (which you can fund with over a decade of salary), publish a dozen papers on Lacan that only a dozen people the world over can ever actually understand and enjoy the latter half of your life as a published author and meek but mildly respected academic.

At least that's my plan
>>
The moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.
>>
>>7545871
>I am Brazilian, nationality that, to my shame, is the same as Coelho’s. ...
>>
File: Writer.jpg (70 KB, 604x523) Image search: [Google]
Writer.jpg
70 KB, 604x523
>>7545783

I can't offer you answers, because I don't know about none of that, or anything really since I am a loser.

But I can offer you two videos from Elliot Hulse, they are good and talk in some way about the whole ''career path''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbcOYdfqhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CicRAqSfznk
>>
File: moon man.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
moon man.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>7545866
>>7545870
>Teach English in Asia
>develop business contacts
>enriching the lives of children
>writing and conversing with an international community
Top kek, English teachers in Asia are just fucking losers who want to bang hookers and buy cheap drugs with the promise that they won't have to work long hours. The stigma against them is so great that nobody in that line of work is developing any contacts but dealers and pimps.

I took a CELTA course (for volunteer work in the states) and was totally disgusted by the kinds of people I met there. Boring, dull-eyed turds just like every public school teacher but they think they're superior because they want to live in Asia.

>>7545783
If you go to an elite university (you did, didn't you?) then the fields of finance and consulting should be available to you, which will make fantastic money. Even if you don't stick with it, you can save a ton in your first few years while seeing the capitalist apparatus from the driver's seat (or at least shotgun).

If you didn't go to a prestigious school (whoops) then murder the LSAT and go to a prestigious law school. This will open a ton of doors so you can figure out which ones meet your goals the best.
>>
>>7545905
This is correct.
>>
>>7545905
>Anglo-retards made me booboo
>every English teacher in Asia is a mong
NASA-tier reasoning right there.
>>
>>7545915

You forgot to mention the meme pic.
>>
>>7545915
I mean, it's also the opinion of the dozens of Asian international students I met at college. Vietnam, Korea, China, Japan, all of them said the same thing.
>>
>>7545915
butthurt english teacher in asia detected

you're either in denial or you're ignorant of the reality of the matter. 99% of english teachers in asia are dregs of western society who can't get real jobs so they go to asia for "asian hunnies." they literally get zero respect, both from locals and other ex-pats.
>>
>>7545922
I've never been to Asia and heard only good things about English teachers there. Three anonymous posters on a Mongolian basket weaving board are not going to convince me that easily. On the other hand we had Chinese students from some exchange program at our Uni and they acted like autistic AIs on opiates. Cultural gap, I guess.
>>
>>7545905
>implying I'm going to be teaching in Asia
>implying I won't be applying to every country in western Europe even the UK

Quand ta langue primaire est le français, n'importe quoi est possible.
>>
>>7545937
the state of international students has zero bearing on english teachers in asia so i have no idea why you even bring it up

you can feel free to keep pursuing your path of teaching english in asia (lol "i've never been to asia") but don't say these posters on a sri lankan firedancing forum didn't warn you when, in 5 years, you suddenly realize you're a broke fuck with zero useful skills and connections :^)
>>
>>7545938
>the year two thousand and sixteen
>he still thinks french is relevant

kek'd
>>
>>7545944
I'd rather research it on my own, thanks.
>>
>>7545938
I mean, that's fine, and better than going to Asia (which still might happen if you don't get a job in Europe) but you're still a low-tier teacher. I know a guy who got a sweet job in Italy (he had a few years of teaching experience already) and several with no experience who got decent jobs in Russia (I know it's not Western Europe).

>>7545937
>Chinese students are autistic
Everyone knows this, and it has nothing to do with English teachers.
>>
>>7545951

>the year two thousand and sixteen
>a person dictates whats relevant and irrelevant

smhftbh
>>
>>7545971
>implying i'm dictating anything
>not just pointing out the way things are
>>
>>7545963
Kek, I'm not even an Anglophone (no, they don't deal exclusively with natives, I've done a bit of research) and my country just secured another deal with the Chinese, I brought that up because apparently some drug abusing Yanks have any relevance to my getting a teaching gig.
>>
>>7545981
i have no idea what you're even trying to say

but have fun teaching english in asia i guess?
>>
>>7545981
Nobody said you wouldn't get a job, just that you're talking about a bottom-of-the-barrel job.
>>
>>7545984
Try getting your head out of your ass, and maybe try reading something other than Hemingway.
>>
>>7545989
I'm not interested in a career, I like hitchhiking and never been to Asia, that's all.
>>
File: why.jpg (63 KB, 385x329) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
63 KB, 385x329
>>7545976

>society dictates if knowledge is relevant or irrelevant, good or not
>pointing the conclussions of an already dumb, imperfect society
>using them as facts
>discrediting the acquisition knowledge because its either not ''practical'', ''pointless'' and labelling it as ''irrelevant''

wew lad!
>>
>implying I'm going to be teaching in Asia
>implying I won't be applying to every country in western Europe even the UK

>Quand ta langue primaire est le français, n'importe quoi est possible.

>Kek, I'm not even an Anglophone (no, they don't deal exclusively with natives, I've done a bit of research) and my country just secured another deal with the Chinese, I brought that up because apparently some drug abusing Yanks have any relevance to my getting a teaching gig.

So you:

>imply you're not teaching in Asia
>talk about China

???
>>
>>7545905
>English teachers in Asia are just fucking losers who want to bang hookers and buy cheap drugs
This really depends where you are and who you know. There's a lot of truth to the stereotype, but there are also non-losers doing it. You'd have to be lucky to get 'business contacts', but I do know people who have done that.
>>
>>7546008
he's the one who drew the connection to practicality and relevance not me.
>>
>>7545868
This.

I've taught at the high school and college levels for years. When you think you're to a point where you have enough material to lay back and just recycle your old shit, something in education requires you to make a drastic change... textbooks / testing / expectations / etc. 8 years and I'm fucking done with it, there is no spare time, especially when you essentially grade essays for all your waking hours.
>>
>>7545783
English majors are a nasty kind of vicious cycle. The only real, livable career most English majors can hope for is a job teaching English at some level... which creates more useless English majors.
>>
>>7545922
I was teaching in Thailand for a few months this year and feel obligated to respond if only to say that there are many exceptions to your generalization. I was in a remote town and respect from the locals was actually in abundance, to the extent that I thought it undeserved since I was only playing games with the kids.

The opportunity to teach hundreds of children when one is hardly more than a child offers much to one who is going into it to learn. The immersion into the culture that one experiences in the remote towns also forces communication with the natives that never fails to teach of their customs and individual opinions on the state of affairs in the country. It also provides the chance to forsake one's comfort zone so to ease the transition into any new environment in years to come.

I can understand why you were left with the bitter impression you hold as I've met many who fit your description but also enough who assume the path with only the desire to learn of the environment they are traveling to. It's certainly not something I would consider for a career, but I believe it to be beneficial for the development of the young adult and would advise it to whomever is not prepared to commit to a routine life.
>>
Journalism
Or just write and live in poverty.
>>
>>7545920
>Asian elites tend to resent white guys showing up in their relatively poor countries and getting jobs and sex purely through being white
Stop, anon, I can only take so many surprising revelations.
>>
>>7545866
>>7545870

I am thinking about doing this. What organization would you recommend for teaching English abroad? I mean in terms of training and placing. I am looking at Oxford seminars because it seems that you are guranteed placement, although a grand is a lot and I don't know the time commitment.

Also recommend me a rendition of the merchant of Venice online.
>>
>>7546113
You're 'guaranteed placement' simply by emailing a bunch of schools in China. There's more than enough demand out there, although I don't know how the government's newer regulations on hiring foreigners have affected things- you might possibly need to get a CELTA anyway.
>>
>>7546071
>perpetuating the study of the literary arts is a nasty and vicious cycle
Only because too many people try to get into it. we have government and private grants for professors to be full-time scholars because a lot of people think it's worth the money.

>>7546078
This is sorta valid except that it's worth noting that living in a remote Thai village cuts you off from networks and such that other people your age are using to pursue more focused ambitions.

>>7546104
>Decent Asian people resent the anglosphe's lamest rejects showing up to their relatively poor countries to use it like an alternate reality with no consequences for their vices just because they disrespect the locals so much
Asian elites aren't jealous of some teacher getting village girls. Those girls would jump on a rich local's cock at the snap of a finger for the chance to live in a house with a real floor. Rich people fuck with one another so you're not gonna edge in on their territory in that regard.
>>
>>7546113
Also I am trying to enter grad school and be a professor. Is it possible to teach English just in the summer so I can study in times other than that?

I will be 21 by the time I am over there, would my students even take me seriously? I've already gotten my bachelors and I have experience abroad. Anyone actually do this before and want to share their experience.
>>
>>7546131

So if I go at it alone and just get my CELTA, it should be all kosher? what's the process like?
>>
>>7546132

>it's worth noting that living in a remote Thai village cuts you off from networks

And... this is bad? Are you saying there is nothing to learn from disconnecting oneself and learning to live in a different enviroment?

Are you really trying to assign a value to the obtained philosophical and empirical knowledge of man?

>that other people your age are using to pursue more focused ambitions

And..? Are you telling that man should live in function of the path of others? Are you saying that theres a correct path and an incorrect one?

Hence if he chooses to go live in a remote place for any reason, then hes in the wrong because other people are doing other things that, in your mind, are more ''focused''

This is embarrassing anon.
>>
>>7546133
>would my students even take me seriously?
I can only speak for a college in a relatively small city in China, but yeah, sure. I found they were generally thrilled to get the chance to speak to a real English speaker. They weren't all amazing students, of course, but in my experience the 'bad' ones tended to spend class sleeping rather than being disruptive and/or trying to stab me with protractors.

There's huge variation between schools, though. A lot of people teach in private schools, often to kids whose parents are paying lots of money and who have come to class after 10 hour school days, so that can be more... troublesome.
>>
>>7546144
No, I'm not sure because I did it years ago and I think the regulations have changed. You'd be better off googling for the requirements and process. Personally I got a load of schools' email addresses from a site with schools advertising from all around China- universities, middle schools, colleges etc. But I can't remember the site name and it probably no longer exists.

When googling, be aware that there are lots of horror stories out there because that's what people are more likely to write about. Happiness writes white and all that.
>>
>>7546132
>cuts you off from networks and such that other people your age are using to pursue more focused ambitions.

It certainly depends what is sought. If it is connection, then maybe the remote villages aren't ideal but of those I know still in Thailand, one aims to be a lawyer and has already established many connections with diplomats and others in influential positions; that is to say connections may be formed if one resides in the bigger cities. OP, I assume, pursues writing and I can assure him that the remote towns are conducive to that aim as you find the inspiration of unadulterated nature as it exists only in tropical environments and are allowed enough leisure time to produce in abundance. There, I enjoyed a consistent and satisfactory degree of productivity and inspiration that I simply could not find in the states due to the time that needs to be dedicated to earn what is necessary to sustain living alone.
>>
File: corolla.jpg (81 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
corolla.jpg
81 KB, 960x540
>>7545783
>poor fuck
I became a software developer. Not a path everyone can take. In the end, I'm not a great coder or writer. Sometimes I wished I just focused on the writing and said fuck everything else. I drive a Corolla tho.
>>
>>7546198
>I drive a Corolla tho.

If that suffices to justify mediocrity then I sincerely pity you. It is not too late to pursue those ambitions you compromised for the comfort you have earned.
>>
>>7546154
Nah, that's just a heads-up that he should consider the consequences of leaving networks if he is considering getting into a hard-driving domestic career upon his return. I lived abroad when I was young and while I don't regret it, putting your career on hold is not something to take lightly if you value such things. Not everyone does though, so I wasn't giving him any prescriptive advice. I'm impressed by the amount of self-righteousness you managed to pack into one post though.

>>7546191
See above except for the bit about self-righteousness.

>>7546198
>tfw Corollas used to be badass little cars
I may never forgive Toyota for making them FWD commuter boxes.
>>
>>7546332
BTFO

english in asia fags are all insufferable pseudointellectual pretentious twats
>>
>>7546332

>self-righteousness

I wonder why thats all that you get from me questioning your questionable points of view.
>>
File: pepe fingers.jpg (7 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
pepe fingers.jpg
7 KB, 180x180
>>7546355
>This is sorta valid except that it's worth noting that living in a remote Thai village cuts you off from networks and such that other people your age are using to pursue more focused ambitions.
>worth noting
>more focused
These are not value judgements. Neither is there even a recommendation except "consider this." Grow a thicker hide and learn to read.
>>
>>7545783
SCREENPLAY WRITING
>>
>>7546400

>No anon you see I said something completely different than what I already said, here look, this is the correct interpretation of what I said, yeah I know its not what I wrote but it is.

I still wonder why all you got from me questioning you is self-righteousness, its weird but ok.

I'll just leave it at that instead of throwing accusations that, even if they are accurate, they could prove to be wrong, or could touch a weak point.
>>
>>7545783
Studying law.
>>
File: pepe license.jpg (106 KB, 600x378) Image search: [Google]
pepe license.jpg
106 KB, 600x378
>>7546434
>No anon you see I said something completely different than what I already said, here look, this is the correct interpretation of what I said, yeah I know its not what I wrote but it is.

Literally quoted myself. In the only other post I made on the topic, >>7546332 I took even more pains to frame the statement as a consideration that doesn't apply to everyone.

I really hope you aren't an English teacher with those reading skills.
>>
>>7546133
The students tend to love you, if they care, or tend to be, like >>7546168 says, indifferent rich kids, in which case you can just coast through classes anyway. But you get a lot more of the type of people interested in learning. Don't listen to all of the bile-spitters in this thread. I mean, I work in Asia because I'm a pervert and a loser, but a lot of people I work with are most definitely not. It's worth doing if you don't have much else going on.
>>
>>7546612
White pig go home.
>>
>>7545870
Could I do this in a country like Sweden, Iceland, Finland, or Norway and it be just as easy as if I went to teach in say, China? Is it more economical to live and teach in Asia?
>>
You can translate stuff if you know more languages
>>
File: 1429307433387.jpg (24 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
1429307433387.jpg
24 KB, 331x334
>>7546811
>tfw you will never go to Berlin to translate works of continental philosophy
>>
>>7546807
It's much cheaper in China. Also much easier, since most companies flout the rules for new teachers. You just have to make sure you don't sign up for some sinister outfit that will treat you shittily. There should be some degree of professionalism involved. Look before you leap and all that.
>>
English B.A here. I work as an English teacher in Vietnam. Its pretty chill, I'm probably going to stay here forever.
>>
>>7546867
How was the language barrier?

That seems like the biggest initial obstacle to me
>>
>>7546874
In the big cities, many people speak English, at least enough to do basic communication. Most street signs, store products, and other things are also written in both Vietnamese and English.

I very rarely had any kind of problem with involving a language barrier.
>>
File: 1401016003554.gif (2 MB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
1401016003554.gif
2 MB, 471x312
>>7545866
I'm doing this. It's literally ridiculous how much demand there is for English teachers and how easy it is to get the qualification. Ought to keep me afloat for a couple years after Uni.

Still haven't settled on an organisation to get the qualification from. Can anyone recommend good institutions in the UK?
>>
>>7546891
If your talking about a TEFL cert or a CELTA, depending on where you want to teach you can get it in that country. I got my CELTA in Saigon and they helped me find my first job, also I made alot of contacts with other teachers. Plus I got to explore and get comfortable in the city before I started working.

So if you can, getting your certification in the country you want to teach in is much better then getting it in your home country or doing an online course.
>>
>parents put me through expensive private schools my whole life
>all ive ever cared about is english/music/history
>dont want to waste it all pursuing humanities
help
help
>>
>>7546826
So what's it like to live there? Can you tell me the kind of living conditions you had while there? Are westerners stigmatized? How is it, cuisine wise?
>>
>>7546910
l was planning on just taking the course in London since it's inexpensive and easier to fit around work and Uni. If it really is better to do it abroad I may just postpone it a little until I have the time and money. Thanks for the response.
>>
>>7546934
Still out here. I've only been working for a month or so but I've lived here for nearly a year studying. Right now I have a one-room apartment literally five minutes from where I work, it's a little crappy but I specifically wanted somewhere cheap. I've got wifi, hot running water, a fridge and a washing machine, so it's enough for me. Westerners are usually stared at a lot (moreso the smaller the city), but not treated unpleasantly. In fact, most people who can will want to try to talk to you to learn more about your country. The food is lovely where I am. It varies from province to province, like in Hunan and Sichuan it's much spicier for instance, but generally no matter where you live you will put on weight because it's all so greasy.

>>7546941
Some companies will basically handhold you through a fast track TEFL or equivalent course just so they can hire you. Mine paid for my accomodation and food while I took the course, for instance.
>>
I graduated two years ago with a double major in English and philosophy. I currently sell software, my salary is 72k

Next month, I'm moving to San Fransisco to sell software for a fortune 100 tech company. Average pay for this role is 175k - 200k

Don't limit yourself to teaching
>>
>>7546962
That doesn't sound all that bad. Just one more question, how are the people, in terms of kinship? Do you find that you have a lot in common with some and in turn develop strong friendships/relationships? Or are the two cultures so socially different so that it's hard to? I imagine living there with no friends or gf would make one feel quite isolated and lonesome.
>>
>>7547105
Well, in my case there's other English teachers, who I trained with, here in the same city. I only work with one of them, but the others are relatively nearby and we meet up regularly. As for Chinese people, if they can speak English well enough there's nothing really stopping you from making very good friends, especially with your students.

And regarding girlfriends, well, I'm in a relationship anyway, but the fact that I know like five other male English teachers who are now married to Chinese girls probably says something about that.
>>
>>7546612

I am not really into Asian women anyways and I am religious so I wouldn't do anything anyways. Actually Asia would be a good place to ignore women for a while. Seriously what is the obsession with them? They have no bodies and slanted eyes aren't cute. They perpetually look pre-pubescent which may be a plus for some but not me.

Is Asia pretty lit? How are the libraries and bookshops? Easy to find books in other languages? I had the hardest trouble finding spanish books in Egypt, English was easier but still. Speaking of which, women there aesthetically are right up my alley

>>7546811
How do people get into this?
>>
>>7547250
Ah, that's fair. For most westerners I think it's the exoticism of Asian women, and you get over that being surrounded by them every day of your life. Personally I only go for Russians.

As for lit, the standard state-owned (communist country after all) bookstore, Xinhua, which is the most common, doesn't sell English books, but there are a lot of private bookstores in the large cities that almost always do. The selection isn't bad either, usually. They're always American editions, imports, so sometimes they can be a little pricey.
>>
>>7547250
I taught in Thailand for some time and being repulsed by the women their, I was able to practice continence with greater ease. I admire you for your faith and may God ease your journey brother.
>>
>>7547271
No hole in the wall used bookstores? What about finding books in other languages, specifically Spanish and French.

Is it difficult to learn the language while there? You have enough time and facility for it? When I was in Egypt, if someone knew you were American they would go right for broken English even if your arabic was better, I now imagine every place is like that and it was annoying. I pretended to not know English so often. If you wanted to study the native language there in an Institute or with a private teacher is it feasible?

>>7547280
Amen and iyyak

حفظك الله عز وجل
>>
>>7547302
Most local bookstores will only stock books in Chinese. English is probably the best you can hope for in print. My advice is to bring an ereader along instead.

Private classes for foreigners are pretty easy to find. If you want to learn in your own time it depends on your company, I don't really have the hours for intensive language learning, but it's easy to pick up phrasebook vocab at least. Chinese people will sometimes try their English out on you, but for the most part they use their own language, so you don't need to worry about that. And they're really impressed if you know even a handful of words.
>>
>>7547302
It's good to find another Muslim here! I recommend taking a kindle as it will spare you the toil of looking for something that carries books in English only to have to then compromise depending on the options available. From my experience, lessons can be found easy but the best thing to do is befriend a native whom you work with and teach them some English in exchange for lessons.
>>
>>7547323
I learned the thing about ebooks the hard way, I ran out of physical books to read halfway through my stay in Egypt and left a bunch over there to bring back other stuff. China sounds kind of cash, I am sure it gets lonely though. How long you been there?

>>7547326
I am glad you're Muslim. I assumed a Christian at first and I felt sad to disappoint you by being Muslim. Are you from the West? I am from the states, actually I converted which is how I got to go to Egypt for free and study. What is it like being Muslim in East Asia? I imagine it would be harder than the west because there are fewer Muslims over there but maybe that makes it easier.
>>
>>7547354
I've been out here nearly two months this trip. I was here studying before and then I went home to finish my degree, and now I'm back. It can get a little lonely, but I read a lot and write a lot, so it's never so bad. Generally I find that the two extremes over here are either extreme hedonism or extreme quiet, and I (mostly) prefer the latter.
>>
>>7547354
My love for another is unparalleled when I learn that of their own volition, they converted to abide by the Truth of God. I am from the states as well and found it just fine being a Muslim, but I was in Thailand not China. I was there during Ramadan so all my coworkers and students knew me to be Muslim and none were anything short of absolutely respectful with some, those who could communicate, expressing interest to learn of why we are obliged to fast and other matters related to our religion. Only one woman I worked with was also Muslim so they were all accustomed to the difference in religions. I would say it's neither easier nor more difficult as the prevalence of Muslims where I was in Thailand did not differ much from where I was in the states, but there are places in Thailand where the majority are Muslim. I plan to go to South America to teach next and cannot wait to have the means to develop some sort of idea in regards to the difference in cultures and the manner with which they view those who do not share in their faith.
>>
>>7547388
So you are doing a summer thing? I want to do some summer abroad teaching since I am trying to get a PHD and figure my summers, if I God willing get accepted, will be free. I spent a year in Egypt, now that will make you lonely. For the last month, I was the only American around.

>>7547393
That's beautiful, man. It makes me happy to know that some sane normal Muslims are out there just getting people to have even the slightest positive feeling toward Islam abroad, especially in areas that know very little about it.

If you go to South America, I would recommend Colombia. Although the women, I hear, can be a fitna because of their beauty, I heard everybody is so happy and nice and that the country is beautiful. I am originally Mexican myself,Spanish by the way is pretty easy, just good luck with the tenses. And of course read Don Quijote, it is an easy read and great fun
>>
>>7547421
Nah, I'm contracted from this December to next December. I might go home then since like I said, I have a relationship to get back to. Were you teaching in Egypt? That sounds like a much harder country to settle into than China. If you could do that, living in Shanghai or Guangzhou or wherever wouldn't really be a hassle.
>>
>>7547433
No I was on a scholarship learning Arabic. It was cool but yeah a lot to get used to and adapt to. I learned a lot of life skills. A friend of mine actually started teachign English over there, he was just kind of given the job for being a native speaker, they gave him an apartment too.

I really feel like East Asia would be a piece of cake after Egypt and really the whole world over or at least just as difficult. Egyptians are interesting types and of course standard of living isn't great generally.
>>
I got hired as a consultant the week I graduated. Phil major
>>
>>7547450
You really struck gold starting out there, I think, yeah. I know China pretty well but I'm not that well-traveled otherwise, so I'm kinda jealous. Plus, a Hispanic (?) Muslim who knows Arabic would be absolutely fascinating to the Chinese. I get enough weird questions and I'm a white Engishman.
>>
>>7547464
Yes, I am Mexican. I think it would be confusing to them and I would probably leave quite an impression without doing much.

Don't be jealous, other than Egypt I have only been to Mexico so I am about as well traveled as you. The grass is always greener on the other side, China sounds fascinating to me but I bet I would get as tired of it and it become so normal to me as Egypt did. Although I am convinced that Egyptian cuisine is just objectively not that great. Still it would be great to see the far East. I feel familiar with Western high culture and I am becoming more and more familiar with Islamic high culture so getting into that Asian literature would be great. However, despite my experience with a good number of languages, Cantonese and Mandarin are intimidating as hell.
>>
>>7545915
>b-but I'm a digital nomad g-guys
>>
>>7547508
Mandarin is incredibly difficult. I did study it intensively for a while and I still don't know anything. But the Chinese are aware of this and don't discriminate if you fumble a sentence and lapse into English, or even if you can't say anything but "hello" and "I want to eat this". Cantonese, well, I live in Guangzhou, but I can't even consider trying to learn that and Mandarin.
>>
>>7547562
Have you tried reading? How is that compared with speaking?

Can one read Chinese, specifically classical, by just learning the ideograms and then read it without subvocalizing because there are no learned sounds?
>>
>>7547587
It is somewhat easier to learn reading without speaking, although my reading is a lot worse than my speaking because focusing on both at once is difficult. You could learn to read that way I think, yeah. But speaking is much, much more useful day-to-day.
>>
>>7547594

Of course, there's something similar wih Egypt. The formal language is really a different but related language to the dialect so what I learned in the classroom helped tons with reading amd listening to lectures given by educated people but it in my day to day life, people spoke the dialect and I picked up some. I understand pretty well, and their dialect sounds hilarious to someone that primarily and first learns modern arabic. Still I have read practically daily in Arabic since I have been back and barely spoken and haven't used the dialect practically at all so reading would be better in the long run.

I imagine there is something similar on Chinese. Is the reading the same for classical versus modern chinese? What makes Chinese difficult? The tones? And how does Mandarin and Cantonese compare? in terms of geographical spread, usefulness, structure and difficulty. Which is related to the writing? I am quite fuzzy on this stuff but really curious
>>
>>7547615
The reading is actually quite similar between classical and modern. Chinese characters are the most consistent part of the whole language. But yes, the tones are the hardest part of speaking, easily. And some of the grammar rules are very strange for someone like me, an English speaker - like the huge number of measure words. But it's the pronunciation that makes it really hard, because if you slip up then a grammatically perfect sentence can be rendered nonsensical. Like you I learned the modern, "official" Mandarin, and there are a lot of provincial variations - my Mandarin is Beijing and I live in Guangzhou, so sometimes that leads to misunderstandings.

As for Cantonese, it's only spoken in Guangzhou and Hong Kong. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in HK, since in GZ most people speak Mandarin. It's much simpler, with fewer tones, and sounds completely different. The written is the same as with Mandarin, of course.
>>
Anything that doesn't involve writing professionally.
Go teach in some shit country, join the army, work various retail jobs.
Anything that gives you life experiences, we don't need any more shut ins crapping up the industry.
>>
>>7547622
Interesting, how different would you say the dialects are to the formal and to each other? They have sound changes and vocabulary changes or grammar differences? Arabic dialects will take the same letters and pronounce them diffetently so, sometimes one just accustoms their ear, like somebody pronouncing all th's d's. There are other differences of course but most people understand the formal language or else you can mix the formal and informal and be understood.

It is quite depressing that the easier language is the less used. But it's good to hear that learning to read might be feasible even if I never touch the phonetics. Maybe that would hinder appreviating poetry though.
>>
>>7546930
you're meming, kid. Only 4chan robots care about dissing the humanities. If you genuinely care about humanities then do it. If you don't care about iut, then do what ever else you care about.
>>
>>7547649
It depends. Usually it's sound and vocab changes. Nothing insurmountable, but still something to be wary of. Anyway, I gotta move, for my own sake. Spent too long on my day off just sat here writing and browsing /lit. It's been really interesting talking to you, and I hope wherever you end up next, China or not, you keep on learning. It's rare to meet expats as thoughtful as you sound.
>>
How cute, two male Muslims are throwing off the shackles of having some qt asian gfs, so they can practice butt fucking. <3
>>
>>7548779
was meant for
>>7547393
>>7547421
>>
>>7548800

Good thing you cleared that up because there were so many people in this post thread you could've been talking about.

A second David and Jonathon, Gilgamesh and Enkidu
>>
>>7548899
This >>7548800 is not me. For the life of me I can't figure out why he did that.
>>
>>7546219
>I sincerely pity you
I don't have any regrets about the way I've lived my life. You make choices. I chose to have a career and pursue writing on the side. If you are a writer, you will likely have a day job. Most writers today chose academia or teaching as their day job. I chose something I enjoy. But coding sometimes occupies more of my time and thoughts than I would like.

Just the voice of experience. I'm still writing what I want to write.
>>
>>7545905
This is only partially true. Yes, no one respects English teachers abroad (though there are small exceptions). But going straight into finance or law where you're going to have to work long hours (albeit for a lot of money) and only take "vacations" for a week or two at a time is also fucking dumb.

Who cares if people don't respect your job? Using English teaching as a way to travel the world in your early twenties allows you the freedom to spend long periods of time in other countries doing interesting things. Then, after you've had your fill, go back and do the finance/law/whatever route.

It's what I did, and now that I'm in a field where people don't often have tons of time off (even though they usually have a ton of disposable income), are jelly that they will never get to do the type of traveling I've done until they're old and retire.

Don't be so eager to make "fantastic money," because the money/job can lock you down. Which isn't bad, but why spend your early 20s being locked down?
>>
>>7545783
Live the poor art-fag life like me. It's great. Helps I have no sense of materialism outside basics: books, food, water, Internet access, and a laptop.
>>
>>7545783
suicide
>>
There are plenty of jobs that pretty much just have a degree requisite. I've never been out of gainful work and I graduated with a BA in English Literature 3 years ago.

Meeting new people always is pretty much the key. If you're a true social retard or sperg though then yeah, you're probably fucked (outside of STEM), since even the scholarly life is fueled by interaction with your colleagues and attending conferences.
>>
>>7545783

Either live the poorfag lifestyle or teach.

If you get lucky you might be able to make it into journalism if that's writing that interests you at all.

No matter what you do, if you want to be a writer, you need to treat it like a second, full time job. Work 5 days a week minimum, for hours at a time, even if you aren't "inspired." Tirelessly create and submit new material to magazines that you respect.
>>
One of my friends with a BA in English works in the tech field. Basic computer repair stuff for some company.

She is poor.
>>
i finished a degree in philosophy and now i'm doing another degree in math and then later, i'll get into med school if God wills it.
>>
>>7546973
Please tell me more, anon. How does one begin selling softwares?
>>
>>7551114
Math/Philosophy seems like a great combo. Do they overlap much in your experience?
>>
>>7545951
>>he still thinks french is relevant
It's projected to be in the top 3 by 2050.
>>
>>7551359
gotta get to the world of the forms somehow plato senpai
>>
>>7551359
not really unless you're in murica, then it some logic classes might overlap but even then not really. they would complement each other well tho.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.