[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This piece of shit book.... Never in my life have i felt such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (64 KB, 511x786) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
64 KB, 511x786
This piece of shit book.... Never in my life have i felt such an urge to completely destroy a book. I fucking hate this book and i hate myself for buying it. All the russian name dropping, the short and choppy dialogue... This book needs to be banned from everywhere and people who read it need to be flogged publicly. How has it made me this fucking mad /lit/? I was only able to force myself to read about 130 pages. I stopped when i actually punched the book... I fucking punched the book /lit/
>>
>>7536712
Perhaps John Green would be more up your alley?
>>
>>7536715
tell me you enjoyed this overrated bullshit rambling. go ahead. tell me.
>>
>>7536712

Sorry to hear that anon. So, what exactly was it about the names that you disliked so much?
>>
>>7536719
I enjoyed it immensely. In fact it was the first "real" book I read and it sparked my interest in literature.

I'm assuming you're not very intelligent, which is why I'm suggesting you read something less intellectually demanding, such as a John Green novel.
>>
Seriously though, Dosto's writing is sloppy, digressive, riddled with sentimentalist cliches, and shot through from beginning to end with heavy handed Christian moralism, what exactly am I supposed to find appealing about this mans writing lmao
>>
File: 4L_pKOeuPeu.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_pKOeuPeu.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7536721
Look at this... Look at how poorly written this is.

And the names are confusing as fuck.
>>
>>7536727
If you think Crime and Punishment is "intellectually demanding" then you're a posturing pseud. There's nothing profound or difficult about this book
>>
>>7536744
Yes, it's intellectually demanding for the average pleb.

OP is confused by the names in the book when there are like what, 6 characters? Given this fact, I do think that the book might be a bit too hard for him.
>>
>>7536736

Names in Russian lit can be confusing. People have nicknames a lot, like I think for example Rodia on that page is a nickname for Raskolnikov. Also people have patronymics, which are like middle names based on their fathers' first names. It's one of the hurdles to get over with Russian lit. Fwiw I think Russian lit in general and Dostoyevsky specifically are worthwhile. I just wrote a reply here >>7536714 about good starting points for Dostoyevsky (ignore the part about C&P I suppose).
>>
>>7536750

Please tell me who were all the people in the room and what they actually wanted.

Why was that vomit-inducing dialogue needed?
>>
>>7536763

You seem like a nice Joe. I enjoyed reading Orwell, could you recommend me something based on that?
>>
>>7536764
I only read three names : Rodia (Raskolnikov), Nastasia (his sister) and Semion Semionovitch. I don't remember who Semion is, but I'm sure he was mentioned before. Pay more attention when you read.

The topic is about a sum of money I believe.

>Why was that vomit-inducing dialogue needed?
Once again, if you find that dialogue vomit inducing I heartily recommend you the works of John Green.
>>
I get not liking this book, but actually hating it?

What do you actually hate? The characters aren't exactly likable, but they carry the story quite well. The digressions? There's almost no digressions in this book. If you think there are, read something like Les Miserables. The repetition? The book is only 500 pages, and it's about the psychology of a murderer. It's not even repetitive for what it should be.

>>7536764
Obivously Razumikhin wants Raskolnikov to sign for money, but Raskolnikov is too proud and hates Semionovich, but he ends up signing it anyways because he needs money.

There are better translations out there. Try Pevear and Volokhonsky.
>>
>>7536783
>Nastasia (his sister)

She's actually the landlady's servant.

You didn't even read the book, gtfo faggot.
>>
>>7536783
>Nastasia (his sister)

top kek

and you say the names are not confusing.
>>
>>7536788
I read the book 3 years ago, gimme a break. I don't remember any names save for Raskolnikov. I don't have a photographic memory, you can't give me a random page and ask me to describe the setting and characters.

Have you tried reading pic related? I know it's still probably a bit advanced for your subpar intelligence but you could give it a try.
>>
Why did you bite the bait?
>>
>>7536801
>>7536788
Okay I'm actually triggered

I didn't read the book, eh?

The sister breaks off the marriage with the asshole. In the end she marries Raskolnikov's buddy.

The creepy uncle who hits on his sister eventually commits suicide

The drunkard dies crushed by a car, his wife goes insane and dies. The daughter (the prostitute, you're so fucking stupid I bet you didn't even realize she was a prostitute) falls in love with Raskolnikov (and he falls in love with her).

The inspector eventually figures out that it's Raskolonikov, and psychologically tortures him.

Raskolnikov ends up confessing, and is shipped off to Siberia. His gf (the ex-prostitute) follows him.

The end.

Now go kill yourself you fucking moronic nigger.
>>
>>7536782
>Orwell

Since we're talking about Russian lit, I have to recommend We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It's one of the landmarks of dystopian lit and was a major influence on 1984 and on Huxley's Brave New World, among others.
>>
>>7536712
Are you from imgur by chance?
>>
>>7536810
thank you for giving me a TL:DR of this complete dumpster fire of a "book"

Wasn't planning on finishing it anyway.. That would be like finishing an entire bowl of shit after you;ve been promised it was chocolate.
>>
>>7536821
I would usually be saddened about someone missing this great piece of literature but you're quite obviously a subhuman so I don't feel too bad about it since it would go completely over your head.

Have you heard about this author "John Green"? He writes for the mentally retarded such as yourself.
>>
File: Crime and punishment page 120.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Crime and punishment page 120.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>7536736
Do some research on translations before buying 19th century Russian books.
>>
>>7536812
Thank you for the suggestion anon, I will check that out. >>7536829
You should stop using /lit/ as an intelectual penis extender
>>7536832
Holy fuck, that is SO much better, what translation is that?
>>
>>7536839
Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky
>>
>>7536839
>You should stop using /lit/ as an intelectual penis extender
I'm not claiming that my penis is particularly big, but you have a micropenis.
>>
>>7536846
Thank you for the info. I'm not going to finish the book though. I didn't know different translations could have such a big impact on the reading experience. I will be more careful in the future.

>>7536812
Anon, could you recommend me a translation of this book please?
>>
>>7536763
My first Russian book was Anna Karenina. I thought Oblonsky and Arkadyevich were two separate characters for like the first 50 pages.
>>
>>7536862
>I'm not going to finish the book though.
Understandable. Translation is probably the most important aspect of any foreign book. Usually best to read samples online and see which one is best.
>>
>>7536727
You know why /lit/ is by far more retarded than /b/?
Cause /b/ is conscious about its own lack of quality, of anything great, of reason, sense, judgment; you name it. You go there expecting shit, and shit you get.
/lit/, on the other hand, is full of pretentious anons and kids of all ages trying to live "a literary lifestyle" and argue about "deep subjects", trying too hard to explain nothing and seem intelligent, when in fact you're not better in any sense. Its exactly the same shit, just that it comes in a different envelope.

tl;dr /b/ is honest shit and /lit/ pretentious shit.
>>
>>7536873
>when in fact you're not better in any sense. Its exactly the same shit, j
If you're unable to tell the difference between the level of discourse on /lit/ and /b/ then I feel quite sorry for you.
>>
and of course, here is the best translation.

“That’s the gentleman, Vakhrushin, Afanasy Ivanovich. And at your mother’s request—she has sent you a gift once before in the same manner, through him—he did not refuse this time either, and sent instructions to Semion Semionovich some days since to hand you thirty-five rubles in the hope of better things to come.”
“That ‘hoping for better things to come’ is the best thing you’ve said, though ‘your mother’ isn’t bad either. Come on then, what do you think? Is he fully conscious?”
“That’s all right. If he can just sign this little paper.”
“He can scrawl his name. Have you got the book?”
“Yes, here’s the book.”
“Give it to me. Here, Rodia, sit up. I’ll hold you. Take the pen and scribble ‘Raskolnikov’ for him. At the moment, my friend, money is sweeter to us than treacle.”
“I don’t want it,” said Raskolnikov, pushing away the pen.
“Not want it?”
“I won’t sign it.”
“How the devil can you do without signing it?”
“I don’t want . . . the money.”
“Don’t want the money! Come on, that’s nonsense, I’ll be a witness to that. Don’t worry, he’s just on his travels again. But that’s pretty common with him anyway ... You are a man of judgment and we will take him in hand, that is, more simply, take his hand and he will sign it. Here.”
“But I can come another time.”
“No, no. Why should we trouble you? You are a man of judgment . . . Now, Rodia, don’t keep your visitor, you can see that he’s waiting,” and he made ready to hold Raskolnikov’s hand in earnest.
“Stop, I’ll do it alone,” said the latter, taking the pen and signing his name.
The messenger took out the money and went away.
“Bravo! And now, brother, are you hungry?”
“Yes,” answered Raskolnikov.
“Is there any soup?”
“Some of yesterday’s,” answered Nastasia, who was still standing there.
“With potatoes and rice in it?”
>>
>>7536873
There are still people on /b/ that believe 4chan is a group of elite hackers who are "the final boss of the internet".

Also, lit really isn't that pretentious. Most of the books appreciated here are revered by anyone who takes literature seriously. Most normal people who enjoy books like talking about them, and the books enjoyed here are usually pretty high level reading, and are more in depth than basic entertainment fiction.

There's much more to talk about in something like Crime and Punishment than there is in ASOIAF.
>>
>>7536878

If you don't understand that he was trying to say "they both shitpost but /lit/ is trying hard to use fancy words and sound intelligent" i feel sorry for you.
>>
>>7536883
>he
Why are you talking about yourself in the third person?

Shitposting is not the same as posting shit. There are great threads on /lit/ but I don't suspect you'd understand them if you have trouble with a book such as Crime and Punishment.

You call me pretentious but you came here strutting proudly and shitting on one of the great works of world literature. You are an imbecile and deserve to be treated as such.
>>
>>7536763
It's weird. I got through C and P with some trouble. Notes from the Undeground with no trouble. Yet have started and stopped reading Karamazov within the first 100 pages twice. Maybe if I knew a little of what to expect I could pay more attention to things like the history or a Church or the family history of a drunkard.
>>
>>7536712
>Reading translations
>ever

The book is good in Russian, in English it is usually meh.
>>
>>7536890
stop being so triggered bro, we are over you.
>>
>>7536890
>this shitposting level
>proving exactly my point
>>
>>7536890
>Shitposting is not the same as posting shit

/lit/ in a nutshell
>>
>>7536904
Kill yourself

>>7536906
I'm not shitposting, I'm completely serious. Do you even know what the word "shitposting" means you dumb faggot?
>>
>>7536914
you're goddamn right
>>
File: 13562132.jpg (51 KB, 290x450) Image search: [Google]
13562132.jpg
51 KB, 290x450
>>7536862
>translation of We

I can't speak with any authority on this title, but the translation I read was by Mirra Ginsburg, and I thought it was fine. It seems like the Natasha Randall translation is well regarded; if I were looking for a translation to read right now, that might be the one I would get. I see that there's a recent Modern Library edition with this translation and a Foreword by Bruce Sterling, which might be pretty good.
>>
>>7536712

Have you ever considered getting a brain transplant? Maybe not from someone tied to you by blood because idiocy probably runs in your family.
>>
>12 posters (excluding myself)
>44 replies

top mem
>>
>>7536712
Poor faggot OP.
Even my dog has some respect for Dostoyevski, you dumb cunt. When will you kids learn to keep your stupidity for yourselves.
(will not reply to shit).
>>
>>7536736

That's a bad translation, not a bad book, you stupid fuck. Do some research before you buy a fucking Russian-to-English book next time.
>>
>>7536894

I finally made it through on my third attempt after many years of beating myself up for not finishing it, and I was glad I did. I'm rereading it a third (complete) time right now. One thing that helped me was reading other Russian lit (in particular other Dostoyevsky) first; it gave me a certain comfort level which for me made the difference.
>>
>>7536939
>>12 posters (excluding myself)
>>44 replies

How do you know this?
>>
>>7536966
welcome to 4chan, reddit!
>>
>>7536966
Jesus how new are you? The reddit invasion is real.
>>
>>7536950
>>7536736

What translation have you been reading OP?
>>
>>7536966
Look at the bottom right hand of the screen.

Now GET THE FUCK BACK TO REDDIT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: cmon bruh.png (1 KB, 180x89) Image search: [Google]
cmon bruh.png
1 KB, 180x89
>>7536966
>>
>>7536974

Sidney Monas translation.
>>
The only thing I didn't like about the book (I loved the rest though) was the ending. It felt like a cheap cop-out to me. Dostoyevsky is one of my favorite authors, but cheap sentimentalism and neat ideology/theology seem to be somewhat weaknesses of his. I like a bit more ambiguity in my endings. (The rest of the book is ambiguous and so is much of his writing, which is why I like him. But sometimes he's too overt because he's trying to make an ideological point.)
>>
>>7536839
Anything that is classical of from previous centuries I end up buying early translations of. For some reason, there is a trend of stupefying texts for the modern reader. I tend to avoid anything of recent publication with a "new translation"
>>
>>7536974

For C&P I highly recommend the "new" translation by Oliver Ready. That's the one I read and it was great. Right now I'm reading Brothers K as translated by David McDuff and it's really good too, so I imagine his C&P translation is also up to par.

With regards to not being able to remember the names -- that's just an issue with all Russian literature. Then again, the Penguin edition of C&P with Ready's translation includes a list of all characters with brief descriptions at the beginning of the book, which you can obviously refer to at any point.

Throw your edition out, OP, and get one of the above-mentioned ones. Trust me, it will make all the difference.
>>
>>7537006

I've heard good things about Ignat Avsey's translations of Dostoyevsky too. Another translator whose work I've found good is David Magarshack; for something older I would recommend him over Garnett.
>>
I read the first part last night. It was very entertaining. If this is your idea of boring then you need to read the first part of Notes From Underground.
>>
>>7537196
>subject: Dostoyevski
>judgement: boring

Again, /lit/ = /b/.
>>
>>7536736
It's the translation retard.
>>
Tbh this thread makes me want to dig out and finish the copy I started, god, probably ten years ago. At the time I found it difficult to concentrate on the book and distinguish the characters' dialogue, but I was also on a catatonia inducing anti-psychotic, which in hindsight may have interfered with my reading comprehension.
>>
>>7536783
I think that Semion is the guy who like his sister or the detective. I havent read the book in like 5 years.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.