[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"One never knew, after all, now did one now did one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
>"One never knew, after all, now did one now did one now did one".

What does that even mean?
>>
it's an anagram for "and there's something terribly sad and banal about that"
>>
>>7534853
Damn ...
>>
>>7534853
>>7534961
But it's not though...
>>
>>7534853
tfw not enough Ts
>>
Well there are three characters in that particular story so maybe the thrice repetition has to do with that
>>
My thinking on this is simply that it emphasises the aloneness of our post-industrial society. These people in the poem are so removed from each other, feeling only the exchange value of their interactions.

There are three of them, the introducer, the man and the woman. The repetition lets us all know that they are individuals. One and one and one.

They are not connecting on a deep human level, but rather on that superficial level of wanting to do it right... In addition I agree with everything everyone else on this page said... That's why it's poetry, all of this applies. That's why it's beautiful. It evokes in a number of ways. I feel neurotic just reading it.

Even the use of tense is kind of genius in its self-consciousness.
>>
>>7534838
I always just imagine Dave whispering the story in my ear, and trailing off in an echo.
>>
>>7534838
Do you never read stuff out loud
>>
>>7535144
NOW DID ONE
ɴow dJd oɴe
... ... ...
>>
what is the emphasis on?

now DID one in an idiomatic rhetorical questioning way
or
now did ONE in a counting sort of way
>>
Try it with an inflection on did.
>"One never knew, after all, now DID one, now DID one, now DID one".
>>
File: 71SsScCvjkL._SL1500_.jpg (301 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
71SsScCvjkL._SL1500_.jpg
301 KB, 2048x1365
>>7534838
ANOTHER ONE
>>
Why would Jerry bring anything?
>>
>>7534838
>and now did one bite the dust
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.