[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /lits/ thoughts on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Ggas_human_soc.jpg (49 KB, 205x300) Image search: [Google]
Ggas_human_soc.jpg
49 KB, 205x300
Guns Germs and Steel.
Asked /pol/ was to come here
>>
>>7533394
It doesn't fit with my worldview, it's shit.

Brace yourself.
>>
>>7533399
So far it makes sense. It doesn't paint WHITEY DID IT or THE NATIVES OR X ARE STUPID
>>
reddit's askhistorians have a bunch of posts explaining why each chapter of ggs should be read with care.

People post this 3 times a week here, imagine in leldit. The consensus is: Jared Diamond is a hack.
>>
>>7533440
Hmm i'll just have to finish it and decide. So far I like it.
>>
>>7533440
The consensus here is also that Wallace, Whitman, Joyce, Pound, Woolf, Pinecone, and McCarthy are hacks... So...?
>>
>new guineans are smarter than whites because like im friends with one and he's totally cool
>>
>>7533454
yeah that was so far one thing I disagree with but every last author will have some biases
>>
>>7533451
from what I've seen in /lit/ it seems whatever they can disagree on they will. It's like /b/ or /pol/ for books
>>
>>7533394
put that down and pick up anything by Chomsky.
he's legit
>>
>>7533394
I like the book but this guy's got it >>7533440, Diamond is basically a hack. A hack who writes some fun and engaging stuff, but still basically a hack.
>>
>>7533451
Maybe Woolf, McCarthy, and Wallace, but most people here love Joyce, Pound, and Pinecone.
>>
File: 1422505777888.jpg (265 KB, 1551x805) Image search: [Google]
1422505777888.jpg
265 KB, 1551x805
>>
>>7533440
Meh. I've read "Questioning Collapse", the anti-Jared Diamond book written by a bunch of academics. It was really weak and his errors aren't germane to his main points anyway.
>>
It's just a typical piece of work by a Jew to undermine the achievements of European civilisation.
>>
>>7533394
>African animals just couldn't be tamed!
Why?

>BECAUSE THE AFRICANS NEVER TAMED THEM THAT IS WHY! FUKKEN RACIST!

This is what the book is about.
>>
>>7534499
hasn't actually read Guns Germs and Steel: the screenshot
>>
>>7535822
This.

Moreover, different animal subspecies have genetically predetermined behaviors, such as african elephants being more aggressive than asian elephants. But humans are all one race, the human race, you dirty racist!
>>
>>7533444

I have read the Charles C Mann's book instead...
>>
>>7534499
>1.
this is already completely wrong
>>
Fukuyama has attacked it viciously in political power political decay, part 2, and an MIT team demolished it in why nations fail.

It's not really a relevant book anymore. Human beings are not always subject to geography, but by the quality and natures of their institutions And the decisions of Elites over the short term. See Costa Rica, Argentina, Botswana, Kongo, Burgundy, Soviet Union etc.
>>
>>7534499
>malaria
>native to South America

Ok bro
>>
>>7535822
To be fair some of the British tried to tame them as well, did not work. Things in Africa are just more onery.
>>
>>7533394
Fuck Jared Diamond. He's right about some stuff sometimes and a hack for the rest of it.
>>
You know, Europeans dominating the globe due to environmental and trade factors seems pretty obvious desu senpai
>>
>>7537420
So why did Botswana become a viable state when every other south Saharan state go to pieces? Why did Argentina fail over and over to form a regional power despite overwhelming natural resources?
>>
Since this book is sort of related what did you guys think of War and Peace and War?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.