[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of job can I get with a BA in English?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1419412810276.jpg (32 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1419412810276.jpg
32 KB, 300x375
What kind of job can I get with a BA in English?
>>
how good are you sucking dick?
>>
>>7531960
If you're monolingual, then I have bad news.
>>
File: 1419573503267s.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1419573503267s.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
>>7531974
Not very good
>>7531994
Could I not teach?
>>
File: 1442858564445.jpg (22 KB, 200x354) Image search: [Google]
1442858564445.jpg
22 KB, 200x354
You can be the housewife of a fine and wealthy patrician gentleman such as myself.
>>
>doing humanities
>not going to grad school
>expecting returns in the humanities without going to grad school

HAHAHA!

You can apply to a PhD program if you wanna work in literature eventually (publishing, teaching, editing, library, etc).

Or law school, business school, etc. Those kind of grad programs love literature majors.

But don't stop with a BA in English unless you like being a cashier or barista.
>>
>>7532010
If you're a monolingual Anglophone then you can earn some nice cash in Asia teaching English. If you're at least bilingual then do some translation certificates (plus a CAT certificate of some kind) and look for a job as a translator (you'd probably have to settle for freelance, though).

But as >>7532021 said, by all means continue your education, if you are able to.
>>
>>7531960
McDonalds.
>>
>>7532021
You could teach middle school English without an MA, but have fun with reading Catcher in the Rye four times per semester for the rest of your life if you do that.
>>
>>7532035
He could also teach high school
>>
>>7532010
>Not very good
you're gonna have difficulties working for a publisher or editor, then.
>>
>>7532038
Maybe at a shit inner-city public school. All the good English teachers I had in high school were MAs.
>>
>>7532055
MA it is then. Would you recommend teaching and getting experience while working towards an MA or would it be wise to go straight from BA to MA without any teaching experience?
>>
>>7532063
Either way. Some MA programs will have teaching programs to get you experience as a part of it. Some MA programs are part-time, and you can also teach part-time. Otherwise you can always give teaching a try and postpone the MA, or just to a full-time MA and get better job offers when you're done. If you wanna teach for high school, the job market is totally decent these days.
>>
>>7532118
Alright, thank you very much anon. I'm only a sophomore and I really appreciate your help.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.