[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What have people said about your writing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 20
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 640x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 640x372
What have people said about your writing?
>>
>>7531343
nice one

"Symptomatic of something terrifying, probably sociopathy."
>>
I've been compared to Salinger and Kafka, told that my writing has a surrealist dreamlike quality. I've also been told that my writing is plane, sparse, lifeless, devoid of imagery. I've also been told that my writing is overwritten, stuffed with purple prose, filled with the unnecessary personalization of the environment.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't really have a style yet, but I suck. I'm pretty sure the complements were just from people who wanted to fuck me.
>>
>>7531358
>I've been compared to Salinger and Kafka
>Kafka

You realize his works have been translated into english, right? Goddamn, kill yourself.
>>
>>7531358
And you can't spell good
>>
>>7531367

I didn't make the comparison. It wasn't a prose comparison anyway.
>>
>>7531358
congrats on your new job at costco. Call me when you're ready to write for the 21st century and we'll talk to some publishers senpai
>>
>>7531343
"Yeah that's okay."

"Yeah it looks nice to me but I don't really speak English"

pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 1600x1200
>>7531377
they were Tauntaun u
>>
>>7531383
Is it something short? I'd be down to critique a bit
>>
File: 1.png (432 KB, 1209x741) Image search: [Google]
1.png
432 KB, 1209x741
>>7531400
The comments weren't all about the same thing, i think.

The comments in the pic though were about :
>pic related

Also realised only once i'd finished up with gimp how many other easier ways there are to make something readable on the internetz.
>>
>>7531447
See, because you have autism, I'm not sure if you wrote it intentionally. Friend and "she" are fucking and they invited Ash to fuck as well. I think it's clever if you intentionally evoked /r9k/, but I don't think you did

Also
>>explicitly telling the reader what a character represents
Why
>>
>>7531508
No they're not inviting him, the girl reappears later in the story and actually ends up being a trap. Friend guy is another unsuspecting innocent.

Also yeah i'll remove the epigraph if that's what you were referring to. Thanks for the crit though!
>>
>>7531367
you know there are people in the world who can read german...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d5KovCbU8w
>>
File: 1432813153879.jpg (14 KB, 301x353) Image search: [Google]
1432813153879.jpg
14 KB, 301x353
>Wow this is good! It's like in a book.
I need new friends.
>>
>>7531850
That's your self-sabotage talking. Maybe it is "like in a book"
>>
>>7531654
>and actually ends up being a trap.
c-could I have a preview version of your work f-for research pruposes?
>>
>Hmm, very.. I hate to use this term, but.. Kafkaesque :P
>I really do enjoy your writing style. It has just the right amount of complexity, both in understanding the plot and words
>nightmarish
>I have also noticed that in all of your stories there is no interaction of your narrator with other people and where it is it feels like it's all in his mind. it's vague
>philosophical and funny
>>
>>7531447
I know shit when I see it, and this is definitely shit.
>>
>>7531928
>>I have also noticed that in all of your stories there is no interaction of your narrator with other people and where it is it feels like it's all in his mind. it's vague
well, that could be usefull commentary depending on the material they are commenting and what you were going for.
>>
>>7531447
>alone, yet surrounded by people
this has got the be the cliché that angers me the most
>>
>>7531928
i know who you are
>>
>>7531343
"pure shit, amusingly worthy of an asswipe."
>>
>>7532165
You can hear the REEEEE
>>
An otaku Alan Moore.
>>
By and large,

Nothing.

The things other people say can be encouraging, but... I've grown to become more than okay with the silence.

I write for me. It's liberating.
>>
File: 1406571147065s.jpg (6 KB, 232x246) Image search: [Google]
1406571147065s.jpg
6 KB, 232x246
>>7532238
>>
File: image.jpg (134 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
134 KB, 1024x760
>>7531343
"It has a texture to it."
"I think everyone in this class could pick your writing out of a lineup."
"It feels heavy in my mouth, like I'm chewing when I read it out loud."

I don't know but at least its distinctive. Sounds kinda brutal.
>>
>>7532272
I will admit, though. Little else bothers me more than knowing something that I tried so hard to make beautiful has been seen or heard and then... nothing.

I think that's the worst thing any artist could ever feel. To know that not one, or two, but hundreds of people could look at their art and not even shit on it. Not even tear it apart.

Just... nothing. No reaction. N/A.

Someday I'll make something that means something to someone.

I hope that person's me.
>>
>>7531343
that sounds like audible spamming
>>
>>7531343
Sad autist

>>7531358
>>7531347
>>7531928
Angsty teens
>>
>>7531447
"quench his thirst for her skin"

look homie, quit writing things like that you'll never be taken seriously with so many cliches. there's potential, things are a bit funny here and there, the forced candidness of the dialogue is witty but just calm it down a bit and lay off of anything cliche'd. remember "murder your darlings" (never write anything deliberately self-reflexively philosophical because it's just going to be laughable)
>>
>>7531343
>making your friends read your shitty writing
that's just cruel
>>
>>7532407
Five pages, unfinished unedited
>>
>>7532469
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-xg-5zUttllC-i38ejZYWJImJEzGAz-_-BHi6SNttBw/mobilebasic
>>
>>7531447
This is awful. Really, really bad. Maybe you will pass for YA. But for anything else? No.
>>
How many of you are under 25 and writing about a protag who is a lonely autist, with metaphors involving fecal matter?
>>
I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.
>>
>>7532522
>metaphors involving fecal matter
I hadn't though about this one, I'm gonna go exploit it right now.
>>
>>7532532
why are you trying to show off in a site where people go to be intentionally agresive against themselves? don't you have better things to do than failing to catch social cues?
>>
>>7532532
I guarantee I could fucking kick the shit out of you. I am not kidding. God damn you make me mad. Cunt.
>>
Pointless and sesquipedalian.
>>
someone hated what I'd written so much that they wrote their own parody story just to make me feel bad
>>
>>7532532

haven't had this great of a laugh in a while, thanks
>>
>>7532532
New copypasta?
>>
>>7532532
this copypasta has never worked so well
>>
"overly verbose"
>>
>>7532562
that sounds hilarious, I want to be that guy's friend and/or bitch
>>
>>7532562
& girl I was trying to woo with poesy gave me the high praise that I wrote like Carl Sagan. I only touched her once in 6 months dating

old Indian in my Native American literature class said my stuff reminded him of early Kafka, & my high school poetry teacher told me to never stop writing because I had a mythic consciousness (oh you better believe that I held on to that one!)

writers are vain, they remember everything that people ever say about their writing
>>
"Have you considered looking at alternative careers? I mean, there's nothing wrong with digging ditches for a living."
>>
Well, my English teachers said I was good. My friends say I'm too hard to understand, and that it seems like I use big words and complex sentences just to seem smart. My parents, who are both avid readers, but not of high-brow literature, say that I tell a good story, but am too long-winded.
This one really stupid girl once said my words were too archaic and my sentences too long, and then immediately said I wrote like Hemingway. So fuck if I know.
>>
>>7531343
Basically all the different declinations of the word pretentious. When it's a compliment my writing "shows that you're really smart", when it's derogatory it's just pretentious
>>
>>7532667
concensus seems to be on your sentences being too long, have you tried forcing yourself to make them shorter and see if you like it? i used to get the same kind of comments and found that i was actually underediting some stuff.
>>
>tfw only ever been baselessly praised or just ignored
>>
>>7531654
bumping for trap date material
>>
"i like your style"
"funniest shit i've ever read"
both from people who don't read.
>>
>>7531447
It reads like you went to a nightclub for the first time and decided to write something set in a nightclub. Which isn't bad but it's unbelievably boring and the writing isn't fabulous. But you should hold onto this because you might revisit this scene later or fit it into some other story.
>>
>>7531343
I've been told a lot that it is highly visual, "like a movie".Also, all comments except one from a friend who is also writing, were really good. Then I guess people who did not like my writings prefered to shut up about it.
I'll try publishing and getting rejected à few times before starting self loathing I guess.
>>
I used to post English snippets on /vg/ and French ones on a French imageboard. In both cases they were praised, especially the French ones.
>>
>>7531367
I don't understand this comment. What did you mean?
>>
File: 1427893658839.jpg (56 KB, 458x600) Image search: [Google]
1427893658839.jpg
56 KB, 458x600
a lot of praise for my vocabulary and evocative imagery but i dont have any self-confidence so any time someone compliments me it just makes me think that they're retarded

i write and recite poetry
>>
People usually just namedrop authors - I've been (kind of) likened to McCarthy, Tao Lin, Hunter Thompson, Giorgio Manganelli.

I've been told it's "weird", as in "weird" fiction, funny, edgy, graphic. I've been told I'm a prose stylist, whatever that means. I really don't believe any of it.
>>
File: 1451277095208.jpg (121 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1451277095208.jpg
121 KB, 480x480
"It flows perfectly."

"You made a typo."

"You kinda write like Stephen King?" (this one when i was 15, i wanted to die)

"You REALLY like Fantasy, dont you?"

"I dont know if thats childish or insane"

"This short story is boring af"

"Amazing."

"You repeat too much x word."

And more and more.

So far i assume im a 5/10 at writing.
>>
i keep a narcissism text file where i save every comment i've ever received (by email or chat or whatever) on my writing. specific authors that have come up are bukowski and philip roth.

i think i have a pretty standard, not very distinct, 'contemporary' voice, as in similar to Keith Gessen and the less autistic alt-lit people.
>>
>>7531447
I'm not being intentionally mean when I say this but you're a very bad writer. I'm not sure if this is a joke but it reads like the fan fiction of some Aspergers 14 year old and I couldn't stop cringing as I read. Writing isn't for everyone and it definitely isn't for you, at least not in this time of your life
>>
>>7531358
Why do you lie on the internet? I bet you wrote this with a smirk on your face. fucking faggot
>>
Why do you think I'm lying? It wasn't intended as bragging, or much of anything. I know I'm a bad writer. I was just reporting what others had said.
>>
>>7537279
You compared yourself to Kafka.
>>
>>7532095
I wasn't doing it fully intentionally but it fits well enough.

>>7532186
So do I.
>>
>>7537436

No, someone else did. She's German too.
>>
>>7531343
Juvenile
>>
>>7531343
nothing, because i dont show people my writings
what am i a bitch ass nigga?
>>
>>7531343
ive had someone in my critique class write a personal note to me saying how much they appreciated my professionalism. that was sweet and all, but it didnt mean much considering she wrote some pretty bland stuff. i could find some old stuff. my problem was that i was too lazy

and my class was too nice to say anything really harsh to anyone, so i really have no way of gauging my writing. thanks class..
>>
"It's as if you started a single paragraph with a point; a clear purpose. Halfway through said paragraph, you begin a tangent that spirals out of control, and comes to an end somewhere after the climax of the piece. 9/10 - Would waste my day again."
>>
File: huh.png (55 KB, 1253x157) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
55 KB, 1253x157
This is one of the nicer ones I've received. It made me happy for a week.
>>
>>7537449
>she
good joke, anon
>>
>>7537615
You must be lonely.
>>
>>7537623
Can't be lonelier than the guy that compared himself to Kafka and then made out a German girl did :^)
>>
A few years ago an English professor of mine sent me an email that said my writing was "damn good" and "blew him out of the water."
I was NOT expecting it, I stayed up and did all four of them the night before they were all due, the last day of the semester. I printed out the email and put it on my refrigerator.
>>
>>7537664
By all four of them I meant the assignments. Fuck, I'm drunk right now.
>>
>>7537664
>>7537669
Show
>>
>>7537678
>7537678
K gimme a second, no timestamp cause I don't want my roommate in the kitchen to see and ask wtf I'm doing
the picture of it existing will have to be enough
>>
>>7532303
It better be you, or else it'll be shit
>>
File: Snapchat-7965935967860656590.jpg (795 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7965935967860656590.jpg
795 KB, 1440x2560
>>7537678
Blam
>>
>>7537653

I'm a girl though. And she's like 30 years old, she was my humanities professor junior year of college.
>>
Stiff, unreadable
>>
>>7537703
Let me read your work please.
>>7537742
lmao I highly doubt that you are female.
>>
>>7537742
Post your feet
>>
>>7537813
I can't, I'm not at my computer now. Also I'm a female too, why the female hate
>>
>>7531447
>32 minutes in
1 second later I stopped reading
>>
>>7537847
Post your feet.
>>
>submitted to the paris review
>they rejected me but said that they like my work and would like to see more
>feelsgoodman
>>
>>7537847
No, neither of you are.
>>
>>7537869
Can't, I'm in public
>>
>>7537886
POST THEM!
>>
>>7537878
Yeah I am
>>
>>7537888
Maybe in a bit
>>
File: DFW.jpg (12 KB, 450x438) Image search: [Google]
DFW.jpg
12 KB, 450x438
>>7537892
Sincerely?
>>
>>7537890
Prove it, let me guess you're transgendered?
>>
>every English teacher I've had since high school has told me how skilled I am at writing
>I always end up hating everything I write a couple weeks after I write it
>my writing has improved in the last few years, but it's still miles from where I want to be

I'm terrified that I'll never be up to the level of the writers that I admire. I only ever pass along the stuff I write to my mother for editing and a few close friends. I know I need unbiased criticism to really start improving, but the few times I've shared something I've written online, it's only ever been completely shit on (fair enough, it wasn't particularly good). I need constructive feedback, but I'm such a thin-skinned chicken-shit that I can't deal with the unmitigated hate long enough to find it. I really wish I had a writing coach, but all I have is you faggots. I want nothing more than to write a good story. I just need someone who can point out the things I'm doing wrong and help me figure out how I can do them right.

Or I guess someone to tell me to stop being such a fucking pussy and suck it up.

Fuck.
>>
>>7537940
Your 'dialect' is too course. You don't have the personal grace and sophistication to be as good as the writers you admire.

You can romanticize your heroes, you can think of them as 'down to earth like you,' but they were all incredibly sensitive aesthetes. No good writer ever casually used the word "faggot" after high school. To do so would have been beneath their ability. Beneath their tact.
>>
>>7537972
your affected style is terrible though

you are actually a faggot
>>
File: anime doge.jpg (25 KB, 480x449) Image search: [Google]
anime doge.jpg
25 KB, 480x449
>>7537972
You don't seriously think my prose is anything like my 4chan blogposts, do you? Shit, I'm not THAT bad.
>>
>>7537906
not the person you're responding to, but why do you care if they're trans?
>>
>>7537940
>faggots
>pussy

I've always found the works of bigots to be quite dull for the most part. Perhaps that has something to do with why your work is being received rather poorly?
>>
File: comments.jpg (53 KB, 768x302) Image search: [Google]
comments.jpg
53 KB, 768x302
i got posted on a cracked list once. i've never written anything since.
>>
>>7538163
Nah, this board is just full of pretentious faggots like you who take themselves too seriously. Maybe try lightening up a little.
>>
>>7538181
I was just giving you some advice.
>>
'masculine'
>>
>>7538185
I already said my writing is nothing like my posts on 4chan. That would be terrible. Unless I was a blogger, but holy fuck I can't think of a more embarrassing career than that.
>>
>>7538176
this is great.
>>
>>7538176
How'd this come about? Mind sharing the link?
>>
>>7538338
After I posted the first part, the comments are what kept me going until I lost motivation.

>>7538344
It's mlp fanfiction. but if you're still curious.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/38824/a-princess-for-a-president

I just like reading the comments from time to time desu.
>>
File: evaspook.gif (113 KB, 260x199) Image search: [Google]
evaspook.gif
113 KB, 260x199
>>7538409
>mlp fanfiction
>>
>>7538415
here's the cracked article on it

http://www.cracked.com/article_21189_the-6-most-horrifying-sex-scenes-in-fan-fiction-pt.-4.html
>>
>>7538409
>>7538424
Well, consider me thoroughly scarred for the night. Have a good one, /lit/.
>>
friends
>Dude this is great!
>man, you're so good at writing
>why don't you write more

Literally everyone else
>fucking garbage
>>
Emailed the first thing I ever wrote to a friend of mine some days ago. He complimented the very first sentence, then hasn't responded since. I'm not really sure what to make of this, but other people commented on my 'voice' in the piece some years back. Pretty sure they weren't being completely sincere though
>>
File: no feet zeeburg!.gif (870 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
no feet zeeburg!.gif
870 KB, 500x375
>>7537869
stop trying to make this an orange board.
>>
>>7538007
maybe that's why you're not the next Tao Lin

>>7538176
we seem to have a celebrity among us
>>
>>7531447
This blows.
>>
Does /lit/ get audience pussy?

Writing has got way more chicks into me. And I'm not even that good.
>>
>>7532565
very old copypasta
>>
File: cole.png (106 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
cole.png
106 KB, 286x289
>>7531343
henri cole said I have talent
>>
File: 194[1].gif (996 KB, 290x231) Image search: [Google]
194[1].gif
996 KB, 290x231
>>7538625
>tfw when you use a female pen name for maximum $$$ and will therefore never reap the sticky pink rewards of the frumpy audience you cater to

I get better pussy pretending the money from my writing comes from "dealing drugs out of town" tbqph senpai
>>
>>7531343
I've been told that I possess the prose of inner city black children.

What does this mean?
>>
>>7537449
I've found germans to know as little about their patron literary saint as americans
>>
>>7537905
underrated
>>
I've been told that my ideas and plots are interesting and have had people ask me for links to my work online, but I'm too lazy to put that much effort into it.
>>
>>7538810
How do you get money from your writing? Are you published?
>>
>>7538832
That you're retarded
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.