[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.matthewjockers.net/2015/ 02/02/syuzhet/ > &qu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: poa_foundation.png (37 KB, 808x543) Image search: [Google]
poa_foundation.png
37 KB, 808x543
http://www.matthewjockers.net/2015/02/02/syuzhet/

> "digital humanities"

This guy claims he can discern the emotional trajectory of the plot of any book using sentence-by-sentence sentiment analysis.

Pic related is the emotional trajectory of Portrait of the Artist...things start out ok, get good, go bad, go really bad, then get steadily better and end on a high note

If you're so into literature, why haven't you learned how to program yet in order to discover the underlying statistical emotional patterns of the greatest novels ever written? :^)
>>
lol the idea that you would need to know how to program to make these basic plot graphs is laughable
>>
>>7529922
Pic related is the emotional trajectory of Portrait of the Artist...things start out ok, get good, go bad, go really bad, then get steadily better and end on a high note

thanks for clarifying that incredibly complicated graph tho bro, i thought we'd need a computer for that
>>
>>7529932
don't you know that :^) is the universal troll smilie?
>>
We already know stories have emotional arcs. Is making a graph and analyzing this on a sentence by sentence basis really necessary?
>>
>>7529965
The idea is that there exists an algorithm that can assign emotional value to out-of-context sentence patterns.
>>
>>7529922
i'm taking a digital humanities course on ulysses next semester and if it's meme shit like this i'll blow a gasket. and not for nothing, any literate person could have derived that graph from even the most cursory reading of the novel. joyce completely beats you over the head with it in part 3. this is neither impressive nor necessary.
>>
>>7529965
You're not personally analyzing it sentence by sentence, you're just looking it as an aggregate whole (which the program itself takes care of).

KURT VONNEGUT SAID THIS SAME THING 70 FUCKING YEARS AGO
>>
File: 1422319661091.png (110 KB, 445x464) Image search: [Google]
1422319661091.png
110 KB, 445x464
can someone do this with GR?
>>
>>7530075
actually we are. that's exactly what literary studies are supposed to be: closely reading, sentence by sentence, to analytically produce knowledge about the way the text works. sophomores can produce more fascinating and creative readings than this stem faggot's gizmo.
>>
>when stem tries to into reading
>>
>>7529922
Digital humanities is just pathetic. It's an attempt by STEM people who aren't smart enough to appreciate literature to reduce it to a statistical exercise, totally ignoring all truth, beauty, and insight into human condition present in the text. This is unsurprising coming from STEM autists.
>>
Jesus, some salty liberal arts grads in here.
>>
>>7530074
You at SBU, Anon?
>>
>>7530923
yeah man. i was actually looking forward to the course as i looked into the multiple extant editions of the text, thinking digital humanities would be some software-centric methodology for comparing them, but now that i'm seeing this shit i'm not so sure.
>>
>>7531116
I'm not taking it, but I saw it was packed to the brim with print guides, so I am sure you'll do a ton of close reading and such. And over the course of the semester you should get a decent enough range of digital humanities methods that at least some will be better than the shit in the OP, or at least come out having a decent understanding of what digital humanities entails.
>>
>>7531136
whats your email? I've always wanted to get in touch with a /lit/izen at SBU.
>>
>>7529922
>and end on a high note
that graph ends on a medium note, the same high it started. do you know how to read basic graphs?
>>
File: image006.gif (2 KB, 282x255) Image search: [Google]
image006.gif
2 KB, 282x255
>>7530078
>>
>>7531161
he prob meant positive note but retarded it up
>>
You can't objectively graph conceptual ideas.
>>
>>7531168
nice.
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>7531198
>liberal arts majors actually think this
>>
>>7531242
Good counterargument.
>>
>>7531168
10/10
>>
>Reading for emotional content
>>
>>7531256
>Reading for starch content
>>
>>7531266
That's why I tear out and eat every page that I finish
>>
>>7530078
wouldn't be hard at all
>>
>>7531271
If you chew long enough you can taste the glucose
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.