[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any reason to watch this? Or is it going to feel gross? I really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 350x500
Any reason to watch this? Or is it going to feel gross? I really liked The Social Network, if that's worth anything
>>
its pretty shit i watched it twice

if you want to you want to i guess go for it if you're curious not like you got anything better to do but its not great
>>
It's well made and mostly enjoyable. could have been a lot cringier
>>
sucks dick
>>
I love dfw and refuse to watch it if that helps. If you want to know what he thinks about stuff read his work, he doesnt really hold back if you havent heard
>>
I have never read DFW and I liked it.
>>
>>7529906
went in thinking it'd be pseudo-intellectual horseshit, actually was p good
>>
I've been a Wallace fan for years, and I saw it stoned in a small theatre with a friend. What I came away with was, as someone who's interested in Wallace and always looking to gain insight into his personality, the movie simply wasn't useful to me. I felt as though I knew Wallace better than the filmmakers did, and therefore the movie had nothing to teach me.

Before the movie started, a trailer for Pawn Sacrifice, that Bobby Fischer biopic played before it, and I was captivated by it. I thought it looked incredibly good. But that's because I know nothing about Bobby Fischer. It's clearly a Hollywood dramatization of the guy's life. So because I didn't know anything about Fischer, I was able to get into that trailer. But because I know a lot about Wallace, I was unable to really enjoy the movie that followed. It was interesting, and I didn't dislike it. Just neutral.
>>
its fine if you dont know/dont care about dfw

otherwise its shit
>>
thought it was pretty excellent, can't say I've read DFW tho
>>
>>7529991
Chess fan here. Pawn Sacrifice was awful and failed to even hint at the most interesting parts of his life. How do you just skim over how he disappeared into Southeast Asia for a decade, periodically surfacing to broadcast things like his joy at 9/11?

>>7529906
It's not bad if you're not already a Wallace fan, but if you've read his work and work about him, it's not gonna be satisfying.
>>
Does it spoil any of his books?
>>
>>7530502
Not plot wise but it's a kind of false insight into his character. Plus it's set at the end of his publicity circuit for Infinite Jest meaning he has a lot of work published after that so maybe you'll have to judge for yourself. I'd read IJ and Consider The Lobster before seeing it and thought it was alright.
>>
>>7530054
What if you think his books are contrived and he lacked the requisite skill needed for such ambition?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.