[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this considered a classic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Sound-Fury-William-Faulkner.jpg (337 KB, 766x1206) Image search: [Google]
Sound-Fury-William-Faulkner.jpg
337 KB, 766x1206
Why is this considered a classic?
>>
because it's the great american novel.
>>
>>7523367
It's some of the best the U.S. has been able to spit out. It's not better than a lot of other novels, but goddamnit it's good for an American.
>>
>>7523377
>american
>great
Pick one.
>>
>>7523377
No.
>>
is he racist?
>>
>>7523421
Who knows.
He was accurate about the people in that place and time, though, so he's commendable for that.
>>
>>7523367

because one of our american authors decided to superficially mess around with the techniques of his much much better irish counterpart and his overblown writing is easier to defend than the simple strength of Hemingway that many who haven't lived life will discard as juvenile

I will commend him on his shakespeare reading, I suppose, but his critique isn't as grandiose as Hawthorne's nor as blasphemous as Melville's. It's more like he just assimilated the basics from Shakespeare and slapped some irish avant garde seasonings from the time and made a spectacular failure.
>>
>>7523367
Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.
>>
>>7523421
i was reading this at work once and an old black woman approached me to talk about how great a novel it was
>>
>>7523532
I don't think Faulkner was perfect, but this line reeks of butthurt, especially because Nabokov had kinder words for objectively worse writers.
>>
>>7523546
>black people are the authority on racism
>>
>>7523421
considering dilsey was probably the only character portrayed in a good light, i dont think so.
>>
>>7523421
>hasn't read Light in August

obviously not, Faulkner was an egalitarian living in the Deep South. The guy worked shit maintenance jobs and never looked down on anyone but himself.
>>
>>7523532
>nabokov

hell of a meme writer
>>
File: 1441515084629.jpg (280 KB, 1600x1028) Image search: [Google]
1441515084629.jpg
280 KB, 1600x1028
here have a meme that i made in reference to this doorstop
>>
I feel that US lit could write easily do without Faulkner's entire oeuvre
>>
>>7523618
>doorstop

smdh
>>
>>7523644
>write easily do
>>
>>7523618
>doorstop
>300 pages
pathetic...
>>
because motherfuckers are too stupid to admit that absalom, absalom is his best book
>>
>>7523588
He considered nigger to be an okay word and was against desegregation, so he had his flaws, but I do think his heart was in the right place most of the time when he was sober.
>>
>>7523661
just read that and if The Sound and the Fury or anything else of his is HALF as good as that he's the greatest American writer of all time, as far as I'm concerned. I nearly ejaculated in my pants reading some of those sentences. An absolute mindfuck to boot on the level of Pynchon. Faulkner is a bretty cool dude
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.