[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting to learn a new language for literary reasons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Dostoyevsky.jpg (548 KB, 1578x1164) Image search: [Google]
Dostoyevsky.jpg
548 KB, 1578x1164
I've been wanting to learn a new language for literary reasons and decided to go with russian, mainly because of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. Is it the right choice?
>>
>>7520739
No. It'll be difficult. So difficult that you'll most likely give it up within a few months and move on to something else you'll never follow through with
>>
File: Kiprensky_Pushkin.jpg (713 KB, 1690x1964) Image search: [Google]
Kiprensky_Pushkin.jpg
713 KB, 1690x1964
>>7520739

Yes, but not for the right reasons
>>
learn German instead
>>
>>7520748
What are the arguments for learning German over Russian?
>>
I found myself more often translating French rather than Russian when reading Dostoevsky.
>>
I hope you are prepared to study for at least 1h everyday this year. After that you should be able to read Dostoevsky with a dictionary at hand.
>>
>>7520739
>for dosto

No. His prose isn't impressive at all.

Should have gone for French tbqh
>>
>>7520739
Кpeпиcь, бpaтaн.
>>
>>7520808
When you say it like that, it sounds quite nice.

Anyone should be able to spend an hour each day learning a new language.

But I wont.. I've tried... I'm even too lazy for 1 hour a day.
>>
>>7520753
I don't really have any t b h

Apparently Russian isn't as difficult as it seems, but if I were to learn a new language I'd chose German because of its literature and the fact that it would be quicker to pick up
>>
>>7520739

Yes.
>>
Bad choice. In the time it takes to learn Russian from English you could learn French and Latin with time to spare, which incidentally is what I recommend you do.
I say don't try to tackle other writing systems, at least not on your first go.
>>
Ahh, I too am learning Russian. I almost am proficient in Latin as well.

At first glance many a man would consider Russian a language of barbarians and slaves - and who could blame them? To the refined Englishman's mind a sentence without linguistic articles is not a sentence at all.

But there is an ever so sweet, and concise pleasure from reading a sentence in Russian. The Cyrillic alphabet, the "Right-to-the-point" feeling, and the way certain letters roll off one's tongue.

It's admirable and distinguishable at that.
>>
even if u russian there alot words in dostoevsky or tolstoy novels| that like 100+ years old and nobody use them already
>>
>>7520753
None, they have less contributions to Bloom's canon than English, French, Russian, and even Spanish
>>
>>7521481
Not really, mostly outdated furniture- and clothes-related words.
>>
>>7520739
How could this choice be wrong? Do you think they wrote in Maori or something???
>>
>>7520753
i'd rather read german authors just as a matter of taste

but, the german language is a lot easier to pick up if you know english than russian. russian is a whole new beast
>>
File: 892562.jpg (107 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
892562.jpg
107 KB, 1280x853
>>7520739
Moлoдeц! What is your native language ?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.