[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit, this is awful. Tried reading Bulfinch, too, and it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: mythology.png (126 KB, 332x510) Image search: [Google]
mythology.png
126 KB, 332x510
Holy shit, this is awful.

Tried reading Bulfinch, too, and it also sucked. Can anyone give me a good intro book to Mythology?
>>
>>7519707
Edith Hamilton - Mythology
>>
Mythology by Edith Hamilton
>>
File: 1451452731368.png (110 KB, 332x510) Image search: [Google]
1451452731368.png
110 KB, 332x510
>>
Edith Hamilton's "Mythology."
>>
I heard good things about "Mythology", by Hamilton
>>
>>7519714
>>7519717
>>7519725
>>7519731
>>7519734
Dont follow these clowns advice you need to read E. Hamilton.
>>
>>7519707
Oxford's Classical Mythology, 9th edition

The only downside is they don't go by any sort of chronology, but neither does Hamilton if I remember correctly.
>>
Robert Graves
>>
>>7519707
>Can anyone give me a good intro book to Mythology?
You see, this is your problem.

You may as well be asking for an introduction to Science and getting upset when you receive a children's book.

Just read Arthur Golding's translation of Ovid.
>>
>>7519707
It was initially published a long time ago. It probably doesn't seem as useful in an age of Wikipedia. But yeah, I don't know why /lit/ recommends it.
>>
>>7519755
This is also trash

don't read it, OP

Just do
>>7519782

Nobody actually reads these shitty intro books or the /lit/ starter kit shit. It's a meme
>>
The Iliad, The Oddysey, with Wikipedia to fill in gaps in your knowledge you may encounter when reading.
>>
>>7520051
"I don't know anything about mythology, the post."

go back to reddit
>>
>>7519782
>wants to learn greek mythology
>ovid
YOOO WHAT

it's sad that this is often the only choice though.
>>
>>7520051
This. Starting with the Greeks is a stupid meme, only do it if you have a genuine interest in it.
>>
>>7520122
p l e b
l
e
b

detected
>>
>>7520122
You are retarded.
>>
Honestly, I wouldn't read a mythology book cover to cover; I have one that I got from an estate sale published in 1975, big ass hardcover thing...I treat it like an encyclopedia and reference it when I need to.

You'll burn yourself out if you try to read every myth in existence, condensed in one book. Instead, read the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Aeneid, and Ovid, and take your interests from there.
>>
>>7520145
>>7519707
I'm reading it now, it's hella comfy, I don't see what your problem is. I'm semi familiar with Greek history, so that might help.
>>
>>7519707
>>7520145
I read Hamilton cover to cover in like three days, loved every bit of it. Her Norse mythology is actually pretty good as well, the intro was really well written. Just read Tragedies, Hamilton, Homer and such together.
>>
>>7519707
Percy Jackson might be right up your alley, anon.
>>
>>7520122
>read The Iliad and The Odyssey
>starting with the Greeks is a stupid meme

didn't think too much there did you
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.