[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The year is 2016. I decided to finally read Infinite Jest. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: GracaInfinita2-1024x644.jpg (100 KB, 1024x644) Image search: [Google]
GracaInfinita2-1024x644.jpg
100 KB, 1024x644
The year is 2016. I decided to finally read Infinite Jest. What should I expect? What does it make so good and relevant today?

Also, I spent 2015 reading Tolstoy and Dostoivesky. Will DFW make me want to go back to the russians or he is truly great as /lit/ says?
>>
It's really dense. On the front cover write words you don't know, postit note the section in the back because you will reference it often.
>>
>>7519534
>What should I expect? What does it make so good and relevant today?

What's the point of asking these questions if you've already decided you're going to read it?
>>
>>7519534
Why don't you read it and form your own opinion?
>>
1. you will need two bookmarks, one for your regular page and one for your footnote page, this is not optional.

2. the first few pages are kind of meh but extremely important later.

3. You will come to love the halfway house sections and despise the ETA stuff

4. its not that difficult reading at all its just kind of scrambled and requires you to piece together the narrative (cough page 223 cough)
>>
>>7519579
Thanks for the remarks, anon. I think I'll read the ebook version on my kindle since it's easy to carry it around.
>>
Expect to be blown away.
>>
>>7519592
Be sure your Kindle allows you to switch between the footnotes section and the actual novel easily, also that it allows you to mark your progress in both sections, otherwise it'll be incredibly difficult to read.
>>
>>7519534
Good luck with the memes.
>>
File: image.jpg (137 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137 KB, 768x1024
>>7519579
Everything was the opposite for me. No bookmarks, first 10 pages are the best written in all of DFWs works, ETA was 10x more interesting than EH, the book is easy as fuck to read and almost everything chapter is fucking dated at the top.

Read the characters and events note... the Ennet House sections are all real things that happened to real people that he really lived with—and that's the fucking credit they get.
>>
The answers to all these questions and more on next weeks episode of "As the Meme Turns"
>>
>>7520725
Is...is that really...him...
>>
>>7521506
there's two guys in there ;) two really ebin writers ;)

>>7520725
If you didn't use two bookmarks, you kinda blessed yourself with a ton of redundant trouble.

Gotta agree though that year of Glad is probably the greatest piece of contemporary literature.

ETA vs EH is really subjective though so I'm not gonna nod my head to either of you guys
>>
>>7521520
Oh sorry, I thought that was a photo of him in the morgue or something. I thought the belt had broken the right side of his jaw when he hanged himself, and the black stuff around his lips was necrosis.

nvm
>>
>>7519534
IJ is written as a modern response to media, technology, and a general disillusion with disillusionment.

There's going to be a lot of citations. You'll probably need post-it notes.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.