[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking for an essay titled "Depersonalization,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: jaspr_1.jpg (110 KB, 1651x1315) Image search: [Google]
jaspr_1.jpg
110 KB, 1651x1315
I'm looking for an essay titled "Depersonalization, the experience of prosthesis, and our cosmic insignificance: The experimental phenomenology of an altered state."

Where can I find it without paying for a monthly subscription to some online shitshow?

I'm willing to pay a few dollars I suppose.
>>
>>7519151
It's part of a journal called "Philosophical Psychology" and appears in Volume 5, Issue 3. Published in 1992.

Does anyone have access to a database of journals that this might appear in? If you're a college student, which I am not, you probably can find it through your library.
>>
>>7519151
http://www.tandfonline.com.sci-hub.io/doi/pdf/10.1080/09515089208573060#

Might ask you to solve a puzzle, after you do so please download the PDF and enjoy for yourself.
>>
>>7519227
>http://www.tandfonline.com.sci-hub.io/doi/pdf/10.1080/09515089208573060#

Thank you! And in the original typeface.

Good site, will bookmark.
>>
>>7519246
Uh. The link is specific to the document. See, just add (sci-hub.io) - as demarcated in the example - when you're asked to present credentials on journal websites (works for some journals, oft scientific) and you get free access.
>>
>>7519246
Also, would you care to explain "prosthesis" and how it relates to this theory on depersonalization?
>>
>>7519255
yeah I figured out how it works after stuggling for a few moments. It redirects to google scholar and then back to sci-hub with the pdf file. Aaron Schwartz would be proud.
>>
>>7519261
i'm only on the fourth page of a long essay, but he defines prosthesis as: "is the thought that the object is a thing; it consists in a subjectively realized sense of the specific and objective thingness of the object focused upon, of the fact of its being rather than not being. The thought directs and focuses attention on the materiality of the object, deleting its 'meaning' and emphasizing its corporeal embodiment or existence. To the person who has prosthesis, the meaning, function, and value of the object evaporate from cognition and perception; what is left in thought is a blob of stuff"

It's interesting because he sets it up as the primary empirical tool which philosophers have at their disposal in a community dominated by "possible worlds" bullshit. He sees the experience of prosthesis, drug-induced or otherwise, as a way out of the tepid waters of philosophy in the 90s, which persists today.
>>
>>7519271
As I understand it, it's trying to tell me prosthesis is an object's haecceity, but since it couldn't have exchanged it for brevity, I must be mistaken. It's a mysterious but fun read for me, and would love to have a better understanding of philosophy but given the circumstances I'm traipsing in the science realms.

Sometimes I wonder if I made a wrong turn in life.
>>
>>7519304
i'm on the other side feeling the same thing.

i can propose my own definition: prosthesis (n); a feeling of material continuity without emotional continuity.

further, perhaps postmodernism at large can be considered mass-prosthesis of society by its members.

also, cacodemononomania (n), the hallucination of having sexual intercourse with God
>>
File: tumblr_mqr64wLFAM1qd532so5_1280.gif (174 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqr64wLFAM1qd532so5_1280.gif
174 KB, 800x600
>on-topic pic related
>>
>>7519320
>further, perhaps postmodernism at large can be considered mass-prosthesis of society by its members.
I can relate to this.
>also, cacodemononomania (n), the hallucination of having sexual intercourse with God
I wish I could relate to this.
>>
>>7519379
>further, perhaps postmodernism at large can be considered mass-prosthesis of society by its members
resulting from the trauma of WWII
>>
this is nice thread
>>
>>7519320
>also, cacodemononomania (n), the hallucination of having sexual intercourse with God
Is there a story behind this or are you just calling 'God' a shitdemon for keks?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.