[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you will never cuddle with Bloom while he reads you some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: harold bloom.jpg (101 KB, 1058x1464) Image search: [Google]
harold bloom.jpg
101 KB, 1058x1464
>you will never cuddle with Bloom while he reads you some Shakespeare

Why even live?
>>
>>7517115

Is that a recent picture?

He is wasting away.
>>
File: 53b1395c2f34c_william_h_gass.jpg (14 KB, 200x214) Image search: [Google]
53b1395c2f34c_william_h_gass.jpg
14 KB, 200x214
Gass is ready for action tho
>>
>>7517115
> cuddle while he reads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLBXe3z9zx8

yeah, i'll pass
>>
>>7517125
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaro7WMCAbw

Why?
>>
>>7517115
Y-you can cuddle with me.

Maybe I can recite you some poetry, too?
>>
>>7517115
>>7517120

I know /lit/ hates him. I, for one, am going to miss him.
>>
>>7517144
/lit/ doesn't hate him. His work on Stevens and some other poets is especially good. On Shakespeare he's hit or miss, kind of summarizes the opinions of others.

On the school of resentment he's mostly right, although his own influence anxiety theory is not that interesting or better than the theories of T.S. Eliot, or boss-mode William Empson. Bloom's anxiety of influence is mostly him trying to bring back Freud.
>>
>you will never cuddle with zadie smith while she reads you her poetry that she'll never publish shyly

Why even live?
>>
>>7517154

I thought his whole deal with Willy Shakes was basically, "He's the best. Everyone knows he's the best. We don't know much about him, but he's the best, so don't even try to be as good as he was. I mean, you can try, but you're never going to achieve it. So there's no point in saying much more on the subject."

Or am I wrong?
>>
I don't want Bloom to die. He's /lit/'s representative.

:(
>>
>>7517170
> So there's no point in saying much more on the subject.

Sort of but not really. His actual essays on individual plays and sonnets are not always that enlightenment. Especially, and ironically, Hamlet. It's like he has nothing to say - but not in the clever way he wants.
>>
>>7517154
I don't like him. He's a reactionary.
>>
>>7517115
I got attached in some kind of way with Bloom by just watching videos of him. It makes me sad thinking that he someday is passing away.
>>
Everyone dies. That's how the world works.
>>
>>7517154
>>7517207
>>7517229

I was under the impression most of /lit/ didn't like him. I just don't know anyone alive who loves literature more than he does. It's kind of the same way I felt about Roger Ebert. I didn't always agree with his opinion, but God damn the guy loved movies.
>>
>>7517282
>I was under the impression most of /lit/ didn't like him

u wot m8? He's a /lit/ meme
>>
>>7517282
We hate him about as much as we hate David Foster Wallace
>>
>>7517467

That doesn't clear anything up. Like, at all.
>>
>>7517539
Exactly.
>>
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 866x1108) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 866x1108
>>7517539
He went to Wallace's patio and carved 'Bloom was here' into the rafter. How can you not love & hate him?
>>
It's good that he is the most eminent living literary critic because he does good work, but a lot of academics I've spoken to have a lot of antipathy towards him. Ultimately, I'd "eff" him.
>>
>>7518898

>but a lot of academics I've spoken to have a lot of antipathy towards him

Why? Because he's more well known? Who do they prefer?
>>
>>7517876

and so was Pinecone.
>>
>>7518914

There are two reasons

1) envy
2) his stance on lit is pretty conservative
>>
>>7518914
I don't know, but one said The Invention of the Human was the worst thing they'd read that year, and another directed me towards Coleridge and Frye for Shakespeare crit for some reason.
>>
>>7518914
probably because he's out to give the academics a black eye.
>>
>>7518950

explain.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.