[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys find the time to read so many books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: 1450761155937.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450761155937.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
How do you guys find the time to read so many books?
>>
>be NEET master race
>read the classics for 12 hours a day

feelsgoodman
>>
>>7512763
>NEET
>master race

we're going to have a problem here.
>>
>>7512761
I don't play video games, I don't watch TV, I only have a few friends, and I avoid starting committed relationships.
>>
I don't read many books, though I am NEET.
>>
>>7512777
>I avoid starting committed relationships

>implying you have a choice
>>
>>7512787
>implying it's difficult to form relationships

Most people aren't especially attractive and are easy to get along with. People with severe deformations and disabilities find themselves in romantic relationships all the time. It's not that hard. The reason you ">tfw no gf" people don't have girlfriends is because you don't get out much.
>>
Carve out the time to read fifty pages each day. 50 pages shouldn't take more than two hours to read, and if you stick to it, you'll be reading 1,500 pages per month, which is probably more than just about everybody here.
>>
Read instead of doing other hobbies. Wow. Woah.
>>
He asks posting on 4chan.
>>
most people here don't even read a book a month
>>
Stopped playing so much vidya becuase I got bored of it. Now I read while listening to stuff from /mu/ share threads or listening to stand up comedians in the background.
>>
I go to school and have my reading assigned to me. But I always make sure it'll be good stuff.

Otherwise I'm pretty useless at keeping myself focused.
>>
I don't play video games or watch TV, and I only watch a couple of films per month on average. I easily find a couple of hours to read most days even though I work 48 hours week, have a gf and browse 4chan.
>>
>>7512761
I use audiobooks. It allows for multitasking, and it makes tedious tasks pass a lot quicker. Also, audiobook + simple video game is a lot more entertaining than either reading or playing a complex video game that I couldn't listen to a book with.
>>
>>7513526
"Hey professor, I know you already assigned our reading to us, but I just want to make sure -- is it the good stuff?"

"I don't know. Fuck off."

"Because I just want to make sure. I always make sure that it's the good stuff."
>>
One hour of reading every night can get you through a book a week, on average.
>>
>>7512761

Do one of these things:

>be a NEET
>replace vidya with reading
>read at work (on breaks etc)

P ez m8
>>
I became an avid reader and I can't stop
>>
>read at breakfast
>poop and read then shower
>read on breaks at work
>at school read at the beginning of/between classes
>(during classes if feeling mischievous)
>read after returning home for dindins
>break up the monotony: possibly study for class; shitpost on 4chan
>read before bed

nigga all I do is read
>>
>>7513493
>tfw 18.5k pages this year
I think everyone here should be reading at least 12k pages a year if they even pretend to themselves they read seriosuly
>>
>>7512800
This
Jus b urself senpai
How could you not have a gf

Jus go out there
And b urself mang
xdddddd

Like its 2016 and you haev no gf
I mean LITERALLY HOW

jus go outa there and do it f-a-m (slang for family)
>>
>>7513512
w-what
>>
>>7512761
I really don't. The trick is to skim/speed read, or read spark notes. If I really want to seem knowledgeable on a book I will watch a youtube video on it or read essays and copy the author's thoughts on it. Take philosophy, I find a lecture on whatever it is and mime the lecturer's thoughts. Then I come here and shitpost wildly.
>>
I read about 20 pages before work, I get through maybe 20-40 pages during my lunch breaks (depending on a lot of things), I read about 40ish pages after work in the afternoon and another 20 in bed. Plus I often get to listen to between 2-6 hours of audiobooks if I want to at work.
>>
>>7513616

The average person reads 30 pages an hour. 30*7=210. That is not enough to get through a book a week.

It's worse if you're reading something literary and dense like Lolita or Moby-Dick, because then you average at 20 pages an hour, and because the books are really long there's no way you can finish even half way through the books in even a few weeks.
>>
>>7514775
>/lit/
>>
>>7514775
You are everything wrong with /lit/.
>>
>>7514790
>The average person reads 30 pages an hour.
Oh phew, I thought I was slow.
>>
File: 1451186651915.jpg (52 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451186651915.jpg
52 KB, 2000x1000
>>7512761
I don't sleep.
>Not being an ubermensch
>>
>>7512761
>work 25 hours a week
>attend classes 18 hours a week
>sleep 7 hours a night
>168 hours in a week
>168-50=118
what...do you do
>>
>>7514923
>25 & 18 & 49 is 50
>/tripfags in charge of maths
>>
>>7514923
Wow.
>>
File: hm.jpg (220 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
220 KB, 1200x900
>>7514936
i only sleep one night a week
>>
>>7514959
;) ;)
well wouldn't sleeping 1 hour a day be healthier?
;) ;)
>>
>studying philosophy
>all I do is read and sometime write papers
>>
File: spongey.png (208 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
spongey.png
208 KB, 480x480
>>
My intestines barely work at all shitting takes me forever. I get plenty of reading done in the bathroom.
>>
be a NEET
>>
>>7515163
Shitting-reading is great because of how little distractions there are. I feel like my reading comprehension is higher on the toilet too

If it weren't for the risk of developing hemorrhoids I'd have a desk installed in my washrooms and never leave
>>
>>7513598
Surfing on csgo while listening to audio books is pretty awesome. Colouring books are good for audio books as well.
>>
>>7512761
IIIIMPLICATION TIME COME ON
>>
>>7512761
I'm really disappointed that noone posted the "All you have to remember is that most people don't read. Read 5 pages and that's 5 pages more than the average person" copypasta.
>>
>>7514775
noted
>>
Same way /v/ finds so much time to play vydia

Same way /tv/ finds so much time to watch TV and movies

Same way /pol/ is able to keep up in politics

We're neets
>>
>>7514611
you are wasting you're time. get off of here and read a book
>>
>>7513605
Kek
>>
>>7518111
yes senpai
>>
I don't sleep.
>>
>>7518377
absolute madman
>>
>>7515558
>mommy mommy look at my picture
>wow look at that one, I'm going to have to put it up on the refrigerator its so good
>now go back to the basement and finish coloring
>>
>>7512761
i only have 2 friends and they're autistic like me

i don't watch TV or film

i only listen to music, study and read books
>>
Finishing a good book, feels like self-improvement, even if you didn't enjoy the process, it's proof that you're one book smarter than "most people". Why would you have time for things you don't enjoy? You won't get much reading done, unless you have fun as you're reading.
Don't speed-read, look up words, pause to think about the text and how you feel about it. Even if reading is a chore, make the most out of it

I took up reading when I realised that that life is boring and pointless, and that I was hiding from it through my hobbies.
In my adolescent years I manically pursued my interests through 4chan, overindulging in them for months until I was certain of my competence. Once a board stopped offering me new material I dropped it and found new interests

According to Csikszentmihalyi, you'll be able to read more and have fun doing it when the plateau of your reading comprehension matches the complexity of the book you're reading (So don't jump in into Ulysses just to take it off your list).
Reading is definitely a trainable skill, I believe with enough passion, one will achieve the flow and read a new book every week.

After typing this I'm wondering whether I picked up reading as an excuse to visit 4chan
>>
>>7518438
I think it's a condition.
>>
File: Flow.png (217 KB, 1983x1500) Image search: [Google]
Flow.png
217 KB, 1983x1500
>>7518702
>>
>>7518512
Yeah coloring is pretty juvenile, but it's enjoyable and can be a decent artistic outlet for the less talented folk.
>>
>>7518798
I once visualized this during an acid trip but with Nassim Talebs black swans floating in a channel from the bottom left diagonally to the top right...it was a nice bit of synchronicity when I discovered Paramahamsa a few days later
>>
File: disdainforplebs.jpg (9 KB, 176x255) Image search: [Google]
disdainforplebs.jpg
9 KB, 176x255
>>7514775
Fuck off Tai
>>
>>7514253
Not the same guy but he's right and you're just mad cause you know it's true. We really are at a point where social media has substituted regular relationships so much that if you go out and are not too autistic you can get a gf, people are more desperate to be in a relationship now a days. Some of it the social pressure(you know how your parents don't like you spending so much time in the basement..) and some of it is the media that makes it seem that being in a relationship is the ultimate goal and the coolest thing. tbqhwy senpai they're pretty overrated and pointless so neeting your life away ain't that bad at all.
>>
>>7513812
>nigga all I do is read
same

>reach zen state every morning by waking up 1hr early no matter what, making myself a fat pot of shitty folgers coffee and just meditatively melting into the day, starting the day soaking up the accumulation of life
>read while shitting
>read on bus commutes, which comprise 2.5 hrs/day to school in the morning, then work, then back home
>read before going to bed, helps lull me into a deeper sleep

typically there's an extra several hours on top of all that, but everyone can do the above. I read 2-4 books a week typically.
>>
>>7518702
Are you me?
Had the same 4chan journey. Religiously visited /mu/ when I was younger, got more into music than most people will ever be in there lifetime, and then dropped it as I favored the humor and level of discourse on /lit/ much better.
Started reading to get the highbrow humor.
I was 16-17 when this board was created and got my mind injected with a lot of college/graduate/postgrad-level, quality stuff, and now I'm 22 and feel like I'm exploring far beyond the literary horizons of anyone my age. The key to being successful though I think is to keep 4chan on the backburner, an hour or two a week tops
>>
I mostly read in social transports like subway or bus. It takes 1 hour to go from home to uni and another hour to come back home. I also ride the bus from uni to other places (meet a friend). Also reading helps a lot when you're waiting for something, like if a friend is late or you have time between lectures.

I didn't realize how much time was wasted in transports before I started reading. I read 6 books in 3 months, which for some of you might not be much but, time-wise, it literally costs me nothing.
>>
neet can't be beat
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.