[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Shakespeare actually good? Or is he just praised for being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: 1451084886799.jpg (348 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451084886799.jpg
348 KB, 680x1024
Was Shakespeare actually good? Or is he just praised for being English and from an certain era? Take Dante or anyone else. Are they not superior to Shakespeare?

Would Shakespeare be considered bad if he was born outside of the England or last year?
>>
File: 1445017323163.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1445017323163.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>Was Shakespeare actually good?

Mods delete this b8 thread please
>>
File: Bowden-new.jpg (284 KB, 952x810) Image search: [Google]
Bowden-new.jpg
284 KB, 952x810
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q9JMoLkUzA
>>
If Shakespeare was born last year he'd still be a baby ya dingus
>>
Yes he is great, but certainly in large part due to the time he was living. A time when english prose used as a vehicle for imaginative writing (prose=not-verse), was in balance with the prosaic (=not poetic) , i.e. when the emergence of the rational principle which, with its sense bound, abstract thoughts, divorces consciousness from the life of nature, is in balance with the old rythmic consciousness of nature, where thinking is not merely of nature but nature herself-- more of a participation than a consciousness. It was only slightly before Shakespeare that serious experiments were made with prose as an imaginative medium. In the evolution of any language this point of balance occurs making it ripe for the appearance of its great poet. For Italy it was Dante.
>>
How fucking embarrassingly stupid. Even if this is a troll I'm still floored.
>>
>Was Shakespeare actually good?
Yes
>Or is he just praised for being English and from an certain era?
No, he was a product of his time. Elizabethan England produced some of the greatest works of English literature ever, Shakespeare was one of many playwrights of the age. This ran over into the 17th century with the 1611 KJV Bible, which along with Shakespeare's complete works some of the greatest pieces of literature mankind has produced.
>Take Dante "or anyone else"(?). Are they not superior to Shakespeare?
No, Shakespeare is on par with the Greek Tragedians.

>Would Shakespeare be considered bad if he was born outside of the England or last year?
His plays would be deemed "problematic", "triggering", and "reactionary". He would be mocked and sneered at by the totally plebeian masses.
>>
File: man2.jpg (97 KB, 800x544) Image search: [Google]
man2.jpg
97 KB, 800x544
>>
Has anyone watched Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart? I stopped about an hour before the end and am going to watch the rest tonight. Really like it a lot.
You can watch it free on PBS's website.
Also, the girl in the OP is so fucking attractive, I want to put my thing in her place and just put my stuff in there.
>>
>>7512746
so he was in the goldilocks zone of alienation caused by societal complexity?
>>
Shakespeare wrote subversive plays for common folk to enjoy.

He was a master troll of the aristocracy, but they were too stupid to actually realize it.

In today's term his equivalent would be writing shitty jokes for SNL, Family Guy, South Park.

The biggest difference being these shows have the sappy bias of western ideology (happy endings), and Shakespeare just copied all of the Greek tragedies (sad endings).

I am fairly certain he was just a naturally talented writer and didn't put a lot of deep introspection in his plays.

He likes to use cucking, implied homosexuality and repressed emotions, these themes appear in almost all of his work.

People who read him deeply or think there's some great philosophical insight in his work are just closet gays, probably.

It would be like someone in the year 2600 watching old South Park episodes and saying that Cartman is actually the boy trapped inside all of us, an ode to lost childhood and youth, when it was okay to be selfish, then they'd go on and spend years of their lives pouring over every episode.

When in reality, Cartman is just a simple plot device, the likable villain.
>>
>>7512944

>In today's term his equivalent would be writing shitty jokes for SNL, Family Guy, South Park.

You should stop posting.
You're not very good at it.
>>
>>7512944
Bonjour r/books
>>
File: 1448102229886.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1448102229886.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>7512734
baby shakespeare still had more talent in the smallest finger of his stupid little baby left foot than all of /lit/ has. seriously. he was on the new york times best seller list for 39 weeks when he was only SEVEN YEARS OLD and he released otherello 2 electric boogalo

then americans wonder why we dont have any such great writers. just keep letting obama put fluoride in our water like it aint no thang.

reality is that obama wants black people to have whiter teeth to compliment their melaninated skins and he doesnt care what influence that has on our humanity lobes in our brains
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.