[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /lit/'s preferred books on ancient sexual practices?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 88160-sex-nyrb-1,bWF4LTY1NXgw.jpg (192 KB, 655x738) Image search: [Google]
88160-sex-nyrb-1,bWF4LTY1NXgw.jpg
192 KB, 655x738
What are /lit/'s preferred books on ancient sexual practices?
Mainly Egyptian, Greek and Roman cultures
>>
Pretty sure it was mostly just standard PiV.
>>
Michel Foucault has a lot to say about Ancient Greece's culture around sex. I know that he speaks about it specifically in some of his later interviews, and if I'm remember correctly he touches on it a bit in the History of Sexuality.
>>
>>7512637
Think OP meant more than just standard positions and the like. Greeks are known to have practiced forms of pederasty and egyptians were heavy on the incest. Don't know of any good books on the subject tho...
>>
>>7512656
pretty much everyone practiced pederasty at some point in time
it's still practiced in the Middle East/ Afghanistan
>>
>>7512662
Thats true, but pederasty was heavily rooted into ancient Greek culture. Especially homosexual pederasty. It was a real and important part of their social life and even depicted in certain myths involving Zeus and the like
>>
I don't know of any single synthetic book. There's a shitton of academic papers treating aspects of it though. Just remember to avoid any paper from American and British researchers. It's bound to be contaminated by modern SJW nonsense.
>>
thnx. know of any good databases for it?
>>
i modi (the poems are a later addition, but the positions are from roman style)

the satyricon (gossip of who's fucking who and how from the roman empire)

the priapeia (poems to the god of why won't my boner go away)

catullus, early horace, martial, and some of cicero's letters are also good for linguistic patterns of vulgarity. (cicero is especially good for pointing out puns to be avoided in good company in his orator and letters to friends/family)

For Greeks, start with Lysistrata. Galen and Hippocrates have different views on women, so check one against the other (especially regarding hysteria and conception). Lucian has epic sex jokes (especially with Dead philosophers, Sale of philosophers) Anything about Corinth as well, really.
>>
>>7512681
>>7514048
these lads get it
>>
>>7512618

The Holy Bible.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.