[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you write? I'm unable to write anything relatively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1450218256588.jpg (128 KB, 662x883) Image search: [Google]
1450218256588.jpg
128 KB, 662x883
How do you write?

I'm unable to write anything relatively long because every time I re-open the file of my story I realize it's shit and I have to re-write it. This goes for three or four days, until I realize there is no point and I will never write anything decent.

Should I edit only when it's finished?
>>
>>7511236
sauce on that jizz jinn
>>
File: 1354380879861.jpg (19 KB, 491x404) Image search: [Google]
1354380879861.jpg
19 KB, 491x404
>>7511267
do you live in the real world? How do you not know who that is? Thats natalie dorner you mong
>>
>>7511267
Natalie Dormer
>>
>>7511236
Just give up writing.
>>
Stop trying to write and just write. Don't think it will become a novel or a poem or whatever. Just write.

I keep a file that I write anything that comes to mind, the styles vary, the tone varies, the format varies, sometimes it's just a line, sometimes a paragraph, sometimes a page or two. Every once in a while I re-read them all and adjust minor details, but always respecting that particular moment in which I've written it, never deleting it. Sometimes, good ideas spawn from there and you can expand them to your taste. Some things I've written looks like poems and they have a similar "voice" to them, so I can bring them together in a compilation. Small paragraphs can turn into short stories, etc.

When I'm really out of ideas I do automatic writing, merging sentences that just flow from one another without any commitment to making sense. This lubricates the production and sometimes wonderful sentences come up and I use them to base other pieces of writing.

Play with your writing, don't do big projects if you are not familiar with this habit of putting things on paper for the words own sake. We have numerous ways in which we censor ourselves and I believe it is important to let go of those breaks a bit. Your style is not something that is consciously sought after, but something that emerges in the similarities between all of these "confessions", that you may need sometime to admit it as yourself.
>>
>>7511289
thanks
>>
>>7511267
>>7511236
Too bad she's only likes black guys.
>>
>>7511363
Not so bad if you are a black guy though

Now go cry in the corner
>>
>>7511363
She doesn't though you cuck
>>
man there's a thread like this every fucking day
saged
>>
-Absolutely edit AFTER.

-Also, try writing either in the morning or at night, and reading either morning or night.

-Why? : Reading fills your subconscious with higher vocab and wordy goodness. You'll see it turn up on the paper and it will be more aesthetically pleasing than your own words, but it'll be your own story.
>>
>>7511379
kill urself my man
>>
write once start to finish.
>Should I edit only when it's finished?
No when it's finished, rewrite from scratch.
>>
Best advice I've received is to write a short story. My only goal was to finish it and show it to a friend. I still not managed to do so in 5 months though
>>
>>7511363
>implying you were going to have sex with her anyways
Who cares what she likes. Just enjoy the fact that we can enjoy such beauty.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.