[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the Bible, was Jesus literally god i.e. god was fully on earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: temptation2.jpg (6 KB, 278x400) Image search: [Google]
temptation2.jpg
6 KB, 278x400
In the Bible, was Jesus literally god i.e. god was fully on earth as Jesus, or were the 2 entities existing simultaneously?
>>
>>7511208
Jesus is the Incarnation. As Jesus is/was the incarnation, he was the physical manifestation of the second person of the trinity, containing within himself both a fully divine and a fully human nature. Thus, yes, he was fully man, and fully God.
>>
>>7511211
Sidenote: this is known as Hypostasis, it is one of the 'pillars' of Christianity. To not affirm hypostasis/the trinity is basically to not be a Christian, this doctrine was formulated at the council of Chalcedon and affirmed by most/all others.
>>
>>7511211
But was god still outside of space and time sort of overseeing the events of Jesus on earth? Did gos in some way have to temporarily "abandon his throne" if you will, to incarnate himself and experience reality from the perspective of Jesus? Does that question make sense? The Trinity is highly confusing to me
>>
>>7511228
God is literally everywhere at once, he's omnipresent. He didn't have to 'abandon his throne' to assume the incarnation. God is God. God can do what God wants. Yeah, it does. It just falls under the fact that God is omnipresent and mysterious.
>>
This is actually one of the foundational debates of Christianity and it took centuries to hammer out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christology#Beginnings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_seven_Ecumenical_Councils

>>7511228
You are not alone in wondering things like this. Again, they are foundational questions that arise naturally out of the Jesus narrative, and they aren't answered by that narrative. Different theologians have taken different tacks.

Of interest might also be this, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quranic_createdness
>>
>>7511208
jesus isnt/wasnt god
it states this quite clearly in the holy quran
he was just a messenger who carried gods message
>>
>>7511273
I was asking about the Bible
>>
>>7511208
Trinitarianism doesn't make any sense, don't bother.
>>
>>7511317
Assuming God as Logos exists why is it necessary to assume he can be subtracted to human reason?
>>
>>7511313

Too bad buddy. TOO BAD.
>>
>>7511317
>not making sense
>not understanding
pick both

It's like saying Freud's ego, super-ego, and Id don't make sense. Yes they don't make sense to you, to others they're clearly useful concepts
>>
>>7511232
>God is literally everywhere at once, he's omnipresent
1) God's omnipresence means that God is within everything and everything is within God.
2) "Within" here necessarily represents a totality, not like a toy being within a toy box, but more like a pill that dissolves in water is within that water, though even more radically united. Imagine a person: every one of their blood cells, molecules, even atoms are both surrounded by God and filled with God.
3) If everything is within God and God is withing everything then that means by extension that there can not be a thing that is not within God and does not have God within it.
4) If there is nothing that is not within God, nothing that is outside of God, nothing that God is not surrounding and penetrating at every given moment, then there is nothing that is not God and nothing that God is not.
5) The Incarnation is meaningless since everything is in fact God incarnate.
6) Assuming that God and Everything aren't identical is either a kind of polytheism or at least a heresy that assumes there is something greater than God.
>>
>>7511208
The Bible doesn't give a clear answer on that, and the Gospels clearly differ on the matter.
>>
>>7511321
If he can't be understood by human reason there's no reason for humans to assume it's true.

>>7511342
No, Freudian theory can be explained and those concepts are understandable. The Trinity is a collection of ideas designed to justify the worship of Jesus Christ, to absolve Christians of the charge of idolatry and polytheism. It's interesting but it fails.
>>
>>7511359
>if i dont understand its wrong
haahahaahahahaah kid
>>
>>7511365
he gone did it again
>>
>>7511382
Even more interesting when the Trinity is not strictly a Christian idea. Pythagoras or one of those Ancient Greek fellas are the ones who came up with it

Knee-jerk anti-Christianity is pathetic
>>
File: IMG_20151003_191843.jpg (15 KB, 215x226) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151003_191843.jpg
15 KB, 215x226
>>7511211
>>7511219
>>7511232
Is theology the greatest source of 'fan wanking' ever devised by Man?
>>
>>7511313
Fedora here. I was raised a non-trinitarian Christian and I still stand by the notion that the trinity is an extra-Biblical doctrine. The closest you're going to get to a trinitarian book is John, and even then, it is at best binitarian and at worst unitarian. The Old Testament never said the messiah would be God, and references to a Holy Spirit in the OT have always been interpreted by the Jews as the influence of God, not some mystical second person of Him.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.