[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can any of you recommend me any good books? (Pref Fantasy or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: book_PNG2116.png (686 KB, 2000x1560) Image search: [Google]
book_PNG2116.png
686 KB, 2000x1560
Can any of you recommend me any good books? (Pref Fantasy or Drama). And is Harry Potter worth reading or is it shit?
>>
File: 1410622362089.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1410622362089.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
>>
>>7510959
Are those books a dry read or cool? I'm not that into historical books, I've read the odyssey and the iliad, and they where Ok.
>>
>>7510976
Starting with the Greeks is a meme here.
I suggest you read the book Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It is one of the best, if not the best, books of all time and I highly recommend it
>>
>>7510976
if you want some drama, try The Death of Ivan Illyich by Leo Tolstoy or Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. Both are magnificent and will likely become your favorites

fantasy, you could check out Jorge Luis Borges short stories (they're usually pretty conceptual though and can be pretty "what the shit" at first read)

you could try Kafka's works. All great mindfucks although not quite a LotR type fantasy. For that, maybe Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Rushdie
>>
>>7511062
2/10.

>>7510976
They're very good. But maybe not best to get into unless you want to.

I recommend:

The Saga of the Volsungs (Byrock Translation)

The Cossacks - Tolstoy (Maude Translation)

The Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea - Mishima
>>
>>7510949
If you just want a casual, good read, I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's Sherlock Holmes with magic.
>>
holy shit this board is so fucking degenerate now. can you all please fuck off back to r/books or wherever it is you come from?
>>
>>7511355
What is wrong with Tolstoy and Borges you mouth breathing meming fuck
>>
>>7511062
I know this is bait, but I do think that IJ is a decent book for getting someone (back) into reading. It's not too hard, and it's long enough to absorb you for a while. Plus, while it's not perfect or anything, it is fun.
>>
File: 1447130865820s.jpg (8 KB, 243x250) Image search: [Google]
1447130865820s.jpg
8 KB, 243x250
>>7510949
before the thread derails into the inevitable shitposting
i will say:
harry potter books are awesome if you have the time to actually just enjoy them as diversion from other things
>(if you kept reading heres my real post)

DO NOT READ Six of Crows by leigh bardugo. complete horse fermented horse cum.

The Pendragon Series by machale is very good i would almost venture to say incredible.

Other than that my vote for fantasy goes to Eragon.
>>
>>7511432
>uses "shitposting" preemptively
>misuses greentext
>recommends pendragon and eragon

back to reddit with you
>>
>>7511432
Fuck off irony man
>>
File: 1450010201951.jpg (55 KB, 607x608) Image search: [Google]
1450010201951.jpg
55 KB, 607x608
>>7511432
fuck off go back to /r/books you
>>
>>7511383
Awful advice.
>>
>>7510949
Honestly, unless you're the kind of person that still reads and enjoys YA fiction, I wouldn't recommend reading the Harry Potter series as an adult. You're not likely to get much out of it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.