[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is reading philosophy worth it? I'm interested but it seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: philosophy2carosel.jpg (276 KB, 1280x640) Image search: [Google]
philosophy2carosel.jpg
276 KB, 1280x640
Is reading philosophy worth it? I'm interested but it seems like quite an undertaking and I don't want to put in the effort if I'm just being memed without realizing it
>>
Everything is a meme nowadays. Why don't you just start reading and see if you like it?
>>
>meme

You don't even know what the fuck that word means. Go read a right-wing blog.
>>
>literally asking people this question
If you can't even figure out if you should read philosophy on your own, i kind'a doubt you'll be able to understand most of it
>>
>>7509955
actually most of it is not worth it
>>
I wanna get into philosophy. Where should I start?
>>
>>7510100
You know where.
>>
>>7510102
?
>>
>>7510104

Down there.
>>
>>7509955
I highly recommend you to reconsider suicide at least once a day.
>>
>>7509955
Double bachelor finance/philo here. Yes, I feel it's worth reading some philosophy. Beside what you learn about the actual theories on the different areas within philosophy, you also get better at entertaining an idea and finding weaknesses and premises and such. This spills over to other areas of your life. I find studying is easier now.
I'm also more fun to discuss with now, since I can twist things in a way I couldn't before.
>>
>>7510056
Most of the content is not really worth it, but you don't know which, finding that which is significant to you and knowing how and why to dismiss other things from modernity makes it a most valuable skill.

Much dirt is turned over to find little gold -Heraclitus.
>>
>>7510100
Chronologically
>>
>>7510174
Could you post a list, please? The wiki is a little confusing. Sorry, I'm new here.
>>
>inb4 a million book guide infographs

I want this meme to die
>>
>>7510197
If you are worried about being meme'd I have news for you, you can represent every philosopher mematically, except perhaps Hume, I think even Russell admits his perfection.

You don't want secondary sources if you are worried about memes so that rules out Histories of Philosophy.

Usually you are meant to start with the greeks, the pre-socratic philosophers/poems/plays. To illustrate why, perhaps I buck the trend and say you should start with Hume he is a very clear and concise writer, the thing is, expect Hume to have read and been influenced by everything in "the canon" before him, so you have to read the rest to understand where he is coming from and what he is arguing against exactly... see the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Western_philosophers

See how big this list is, even great philosophers won't know all on the list (I only know a fraction), in fact most great philosophers pick one in the list as the most significant to them and seek to further or denounce him as their main life task.

If I was in ancient greece I would have made you suck my dick for this information and you would have liked it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1000 KB, 537x830) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1000 KB, 537x830
>>7510197
Start here.
>>
>>7510217
>>7510197
Start with this.
>>
is helping OP worth it?
just get involved, faggot.
>>
Just read a fucking introductory textbook. You'll be able to tell really fucking quick whether you think it's worthwhile or not.
>>
>>7509955
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.