[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help pls captain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (147 KB, 711x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
147 KB, 711x1080
Man how do you guys do it?
I recently got bored and lurked around for a bit here, I saw a thread on dystopian books and decided to get myself a copy of Fahrenheit 451, a book about book burning and I sat down a read for a bit, after about 2 minutes I put the book down and went on my phone. How the heck do I get a really get into a book?
>>
How do I really get into a book*

I forgot to proof read
>>
My phone actually helps me to read

>read 20 pages
>feel tired
>come to 4chan
>rest my brain
>/lit/ is slow and I've seen all
>repeat
>>
turn it off and put it in the other room. although a benefit of the book format is you can stop and let your mind wander whenever you want.
>>
>>7508726
Idk lad, when I start reading I just don't stop until I am too tired to keep going.
Shit, I read textbooks for fun in HS.
>>
>>7508726

Usually it helps to actually be interested in reading the book in the first place.
>>
>>7508726
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>7508726
Don't start with farenheit. Read The Road. It's short, punchy and engrossing from the get go.

Force yourself through 2 chapters without looking away. If you still struggle to get sucked in then you either need to go even more basic or books just ain't for you.
>>
you don't be a pleb
>>
File: believe.jpg (47 KB, 325x488) Image search: [Google]
believe.jpg
47 KB, 325x488
I like that OP is struggling to maintain interest in a book about people losing their interest in books. I'm wondering whether this is an intentional ruse.

Otherwise, it could just be that you're not interested in the topic of the book, or the prose is written in a way that you find boring? Of course it pays to sometimes read things that are difficult, confronting or that don't comply with your beliefs, but at the end of the day, you're reading because you want to enjoy yourself (probably). Find something on a topic that really interests you, and it should just happen by itself.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 640x360
That book literally takes an hour and a half to read. Just turn your fucking phone on airplane mode and sit down.
>>
>>7508726

Turn off anything connected to the internet
>>
>>7508726
Do you actually want to read the book?
Do you care about the story and characters?
Do you like the prose?
If you answer no to any of these, then don't read the book. Unless it's for a class or it contains information you need, then don't force a connection that isn't there.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.