[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw used to be universally loved socialite >girl I liked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: mfw.gif (3 MB, 419x319) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
3 MB, 419x319
>tfw used to be universally loved socialite
>girl I liked started talking to me about books one day
>revived my childhood love of books
>naturally started flirting with things like philosophy and theology
>tfw now I have become a recluse, spending every non-sleeping/working moment trapped in my room studying old works
>tfw I haven't talked to a non-work colleague or family member in 6 years
who here /literatureruinedmylife/?
>>
Sounds like she saved you from the gf meme. Count your blessings.
>>
>universally loved socialite

you should have killed yourself then
>>
>>7507329
You obviously don't know how to read and aren't reading the right shit because your former life should seem like a complete joke at this point, something you cringe thinking about. You fell for memes instead of seeing the light
>>
"That genuine, profound peace of mind, that perfect tranquillity of soul, which, next to health, is the highest blessing the earth can give, is to be attained only in solitude, and, as a permanent mood, only in complete retirement; and then, if there is anything great and rich in the man’s own self, his way of life is the happiest that may be found in this wretched world."
>>
>>7507329
I was kind of socially stunted until college but was improving drastically. Senior year I found /lit/ and started reading a lot just as my hopes of actually forming a real romantic connection with somebody seemed possible for once.

School ended and now I spend all of my time reading. The handful of people I meet find me charming and intelligent, and expect me to be romantically fulfilled, but this rebirth of my love of reading has led me to pretty much ignore anyone who doesn't talk to me first. At this point it's been about 7 months since I tried to flirt with any girl.

I'm as socially retarded as I was years ago, but am more well-read. Frankly I prefer it that way; people always ended up disappointing me and making me sad.
>>
>>7507329
>trapped in my room studying old works
u mean freed from the transience of the world of becoming. ur welcome anon
>>
>>7507658
Nobody will ever talk to you unless you talk to them, they are all thinking the exact same thing you are in varying degrees of semi contiguous vocabumodulated prose.

You should be the one teasing conversations out of people. Think of it as a cognition test, can you influence a conversation towards an inflamed passion or emotion that is so raw and real it bypasses their filter and chips away at their façade of normalcy. If people really are unhappy and unfulfilled playing the charade of social graces, it is then simply a battle of wits, yours against theirs.

The world today has wholly too much introspection. Trust me, nobody is that deep. But making someone smile or cry or angry, especially if they are a stranger with no investments to you, is part of being human. Being some reactive unengaged robot is basically telling me you gained nothing from your readings except the ability to pretend you're something else.
>>
>>7507740
But most people are frightfully dull when compared with even some of literature's most tedious characters. I literally prefer reading to conversation with most people because they have nothing to say.

Please don't think that I have overlooked the irony in becoming disenchanted with reality as a result of reading--an activity I would argue should enlighten one's understanding of humanity, and so enliven one's life and interactions. I have an ongoing issue of attempting to consolidate that with the fact that most people bore me senseless.

Almost without fail, any attempt I make at socializing leaves me wondering why I even bothered looking up from my book. Obviously socializing requires effort, but is it really worth it? If you could be reading instead, why waste the time?
>>
>>7508474
Different anon than the one you just spoke to. Honestly? I doubt that people really "have nothing to say." Rather, people won't share their more interesting thoughts until they feel they've established powerful bonds with a person. They won't show their ingenuity to you until you learn to tolerate the banality that we all show strangers.
>>
>>7509135
I'm not even OP but ... dude who do you know or what haven't you read that's given you this faith in the depth of the minds of the people around you? Most people are fucking boring - even the most educated among us - and any depth you get from social interaction with them is a result of the emotional bonds that invest their speech with subtext (and the emotional bonds that could turn a normal companion into an interesting one are rare).
>>
I used to be a positivist, which is satisfying and good for an engineering student.

In my third year, I started getting into mysticism.
>>
>>7509156
Good question.

I'm not sure it has to do with what I haven't read, though who I've met might give an explanation for my (most likely naive and starry-eyed) conjectures about other people's minds and their potential interest to my own.

Out of all the people I've met, there isn't a single person that matched the dazzling wonder evoked by so many fictional characters. They usually don't have the same intrigue, the same ever-visible character development. You would probably find most of your favorite fictional characters boring if you were to meet them face-to-face (with no previous knowledge of them) because you would lack the powerful intimacy many books give: to know a character's mind, free of pretension and deceit, all of the time. Even if the character's disposition isn't immediately obvious (i.e. unreliable narrators), their psyche is usually fairly easy to deduce, considering you have a front row seat to their innermost thoughts.
Sadly, you will never have this incredible
connection with real people—but you can come close.
To stop seeing people as boring philistines with nothing to offer to you, a developed interest in the quotidian is essential. Nobody has something groundbreaking to offer all of the time. However, when they actually do, it's spectacular to witness. Even if they never do—does it harm you to wonder what kind of parents someone may have? How their family helped shape them? Their exes? To my knowledge, it doesn't. In fact I'd argue that connections with people have more potential for enlightenment than any book can offer. After all, aren't all messages in literature all synthesized from authors' interactions with other people?

People, no matter how seemingly inconsequential, have unfailingly given the greatest thinkers tremendous insight. They are the perfect examples of varying life styles and how they affect the psyche—feel free to be curious about other people, and even try to enjoy their presence. It won't do you harm.

tl;dr: people have lots to offer but they won't give it unless you listen. additionally: lots of things people say that seem pointless can lead to more noble pursuits. people aren't paragons of intrigue 24/7, but negating to acknowledge their complexity is, simply put, ignorant.
>>
>>7507329
>i just fucking love literature so much omg it's ruining my life
you are an insufferable faggot. get over yourself
>>
>>7508474
People have love go get it mang
>>
>>7509221

So you used to be an idiot, and now you're still an idiot?
>>
lit improved your life anon

this is the fucking dream

just hire a prostitute if you need your carnal needs met but even that won't be as good as the scenarios conjured by ur imagination
>>
>>7507572
Disgusting
>>
>>7510044

Yet completely true
>>
>>7509429
that's asking a lot from a guy who describes himself as universally loved
>>
>>7507329
Do what ever you want anon, just remember you can't have everything, not at the same time anyway.
If you feel lit is wasting your youth, the books are the option that will wait for you.
But if you find you'd prefer to be a recluse don't let anyone tell you've wasted your time, because from your perspective those plebs have wasted theirs.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.