[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tolstoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: cronos.jpg (16 KB, 400x373) Image search: [Google]
cronos.jpg
16 KB, 400x373
Any appreciators of Tolstoy? I've inherited a copy of his portable by Penguin classics, I'm curious as to what the significance of his work is? I enjoy it though; could you make a recommendation for something similar in nature?
>>
What're you doing reading garbage op? I suggest you pick up twilight by Stephenie Meyer; it is very good and I think everyone should read it
>>
>>7505786
His work is remarkable for dozens of things that are all demonstrated better than I could ever describe them.

He had a masterful grasp of human psychology, was incredibly knowledgeable about contemporary society and politics, was plugged in to the scientific and philosophical currents of his day, managed to encapsulate an entire culture (from the Emperor to the poorest serf) into his writings and this is just off the top of my head.

Personally he also converted me to Christianity

Do yourself a favour and just dive in to one of the comfiest, smartest and most enjoyable reads you'll ever have. The man is a joy to read and his longest works are more palatable than 99% of other books.
>>
>>7505825
I like the part where they get shitfaced and fight each other.
>>
>>7505825
What specifically made you become a Christian?
>>
>>7505825
Sick of this board's late obsession with Christianity
saged
>>
Tolstoy changed the way I view the novel and helped a lot with writing my own. I don't think I'll ever read something as good.
>>
>>7506007
*tipa fedora*
>>
>tfw English major
>wanted to take a Tolstoy class at my uni
>applied for it but it doesn't count towards my major
>wtf.png
>had to take some Victorian lit class instead for credit

I always thought "English" was synonymous with 'Literature" but apparently not
>>
Tolstoy is the king.
>>
>>7505786
He was a hack - utter shit. Don't fall for the memes.
>>
>>7506210
Modern /lit/, everyone.
>>
Do you think he's able to write about religion and Christianity better than Dostoyevsky? I do love Dostoyevsky but I find him a little preachy whereas I don't really get any of that from Tolstoy.
>>
>>7506007
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7505786
>I'm curious as to what the significance of his work is?

He's generally regarded as the greatest novelist ever. Ivan Bunin (iirc) once said that if the world could write, it would write like Tolstoy.

The thing I love about Tolstoy most is his clear, calm love of life in all its infinite variety that seeps through every pore of his writings.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.