[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some bits of writing advice/knowledge/etc. you've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
What are some bits of writing advice/knowledge/etc. you've heard or read that changed the way you look at writing?

This bit from Ray Bradbury's "Zen In the Art of Writing" changed the way I look at paragraphs:

>I've been lecturing at the University of Southern California cinema department for twenty-two years—I go down there a couple of times a year—and various students have come up to me and said, "Can we make films of your short stories?" I say, "Sure, take them. Do it. But there's one restriction I put on you. Shoot the whole story. Just read what I've done and line up the shots by the paragraphs. All the paragraphs are shots. By the way the paragraph reads, you know whether it's a close-up or a long shot."
>>
My question is whether that was actually a joke about adapting books into film. Whereas one reader may picture a scene as a close up, another will picture a long shot. Essentially, there is an interactive element to reading that would be lost in a film.
>>
George Orwell said something along the lines of 'If you can cut a word, do it.' I think this is generally true. Makes the writing flow better and feel less bloated.
>>
>>7502365
>George Orwell said 'If you can cut a word, do it.' The writing flows concisely.

Did I do it right
>>
Write what you want to read.
>>
>>7502397
Yes, actually
>>
>>7502402
Don't tell me what to do, you fucking Hassid.
>>
>>7502397
>Orwell said "If you can cut, do it."
>>
>>7502415
>
>>
>>7502415
>Orwell said "Cut cuttable words."
>>
>>7502446
>>7502415
>>7502397
He really said, word for word, "If you cut it, you'll last longer." At least that's what he said to my dad.
>>
>>7502445
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.