[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of the Star Wars books good? What's canon? Are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 324x500
Are any of the Star Wars books good? What's canon? Are they all books for babies or are any actually well-written? The only genre books I've read are ASoIaF (fun reading, imo) and I know nothing about the SW universe or whatever, so any opinions are appreciated.
>>
>>7502000
He's a big guy.
>>
they're written by C-grade sci-fi authors who's only intent is money.
avoid at all costs.
also they've all been retconned.
>>
Nothing is canon and George Lucas is a fucking child in the flesh of a hairy testicle
>>
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7497946
>>
Thrawn Trilogy is good and the New Jedi Order series is in my opinion good. (INB4 edgy). I read a lot of Stars Wars book when I was in elementary school and middle school, they were a good introduction to the science fiction genre even if a large amount of the books were utter trash.
>>
File: I can't.png (347 KB, 808x721) Image search: [Google]
I can't.png
347 KB, 808x721
>>7502034
>Thrawn Trilogy is good
You sure about that?
>>
>>7502010
This, I think the only official canon is the movies
>>
>>7502000
not literature
>>
>>7502680
>it's not a film, it's a flick!
ok champ
>>
>>7502581
Not him, but yes I'm sure. The Thrawn Trilogy has a far superior story arc to even the original trilogy. Disney fucked up bad considering the true VII VIII and IV were already written in the early 90s
>>
>>7502685
God, I fucking hate the word "flick" and anyone who uses it.
>>
File: Screenshot (8).png (169 KB, 913x384) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (8).png
169 KB, 913x384
>>7502685
>especially... having excellence of form or expression and expressing ideas of permanent or universal interest

Sorry, yer shit ain't literature.

>>7502723
Anon, I picked up book one and stopped just about at that pic related. It's like it's written by a high schooler. I had to stop just about every paragraph to roll my eyes. Who gives a shit about the story if the writing itself is shit?
>>
>>7502000

I read many of them when I was 11-12.

No, they're very bad on average. If you didn't read them before entering high school (possibly middle school) you completely missed out. Sorry.
>>
I'm bringing this info over from the comic board, but if you're interested in Star Wars content or books check these out.

>Star Wars Rebels MEGA (Season 1):
https://mega.co.nz/#F!UYQCwTwa!s-n8--buJPbauv6ylUo-DA

>Star Wars Rebels links (Season 2):
http://pastebin.com/eddBUt6x

>Star Wars Films(1080p BluRay rips):
https://mega.nz/#F!skUE2RoR!mhSpW4MsF3QXhSioKNo5RA

>All Canon Novels and Comics:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

>Star Wars Legends Novels & Comics (Incomplete):
https://mega.nz/#F!j99HEbrC!GP5TSEEbrBYZIZ73xod4fg

>Star Wars Audiobooks (Canon and Legends) and Motion Comics:
https://mega.nz/#F!w9tFCZxK!7zthk3nLz-0ATC9zxxEPuw

>Star Wars Soundtracks MEGA (Work-in-Progress):
https://mega.nz/#F!xocwwSiT!M8RpDwmmI37P24_TRzBKug
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-25-16-36-44.png (172 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-25-16-36-44.png
172 KB, 720x1280
>>7502734
This is not the elitism you're looking for
>>
>>7502000
I'd like to read the one by Sean Stewart. I'm a fan of his other work
>>
>>7502000
I loved Darth Bane's trilogy. I listened to the audiobooks while lying on my bed, good times

Darth Plagueis was great as well
>>
They aren't even good genre fiction.
>>
>>7502885
I cringed reading this.
>>
>>7503481
I cringed reading this.
>>
I've only read Matt Stover's RotS novel. Anakin and Obi-Wan are pretty gay for each other there and you've got to wonder how he got that past the editor. It was much better than the movie though, so his books might be decent.
>>
>>7503481
Me too. "THE ONLY THING THAT IS CERTAIN IS THAT NOTHING IS CERTAIN". Go eat a fucking dick.
>>
File: aftermath_new.6.red_.jpg (1 MB, 625x951) Image search: [Google]
aftermath_new.6.red_.jpg
1 MB, 625x951
I just wanna say to stay away from this piece of shit. The subject matter is interesting, but it never goes anywhere and it reads like a goddamn fanfic.
>>
>>7504964
>Anakin and Obi-Wan are pretty gay for each other there and you've got to wonder how he got that past the editor.
Please elaborate
>>
File: 012.jpg (66 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
66 KB, 600x347
>>7502000
best
>>
File: rots.jpg (55 KB, 540x237) Image search: [Google]
rots.jpg
55 KB, 540x237
>>7505004
There's also Padme asking Obi-Wan if he doesn't love Anakin, "too", or like half a page of Obi-Wan thinking about Anakin's butt.
>>
>>7502000
None are good, most are canon because Lucas likes money, not for babies or well written but are for the worst kind of star wars fan
>>
>>7505027
>Han Solo's Revenge
>he's shooting Chewbacca in the back
Intriguing.
>>
>>7502000
pleb general?
>>
>>7505082
Chewie shot first
>>
They're all good. They're all worth reading, and they're all fan-fucking-tastic. Pick 'em up at your local book shoppe. That's the Star Wars Novels, OK? You're going to want to ask the clerk where they are because you want to find those bad boys as soon as possible. That's ASAP, you heard? Star Wars books, buy 'em. They're what's good.
>>
>>7502000
>What's canon?
None of them. Disney obliterated the Expanded Universe so that even those fanboys who kept up with it would have to buy every product Disney's putting out.
>>
File: 1441990409975.jpg (31 KB, 479x433) Image search: [Google]
1441990409975.jpg
31 KB, 479x433
>>7502685
>watching films
>EVER
Stick to flicks
>>
plageuis is supposed to be good
>>
>>7505161
lmao
>>
>>7505167
Plagueis is a bad guy, retard.
>>
File: 1416255720053.png (760 KB, 1280x715) Image search: [Google]
1416255720053.png
760 KB, 1280x715
>>7502000
>>
>>7505001
"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."
>>
>>7505214
It's like he tried to imitate Joyce in the worst way possible
>>
does anybody know how I can find the order of books for all the star wars books written? I want to read from the oldest to the furthest in the future
>>
is it me or the best thing that came out of star wars was kotor 2 in terms of writing? i mean this is good for a video game

Know that there was once a Darth Traya. And that she cast aside that role, was exiled, and found a new purpose. But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
―Kreia

Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."
―Darth Traya, to the Jedi Exile

Kreia: "Yes, and what are they without the Force? Take the greatest Jedi Knight, strip away the Force, and what remains? They rely on it, depend on it, more than they know. Watch as one tries to hold a blaster, as they try to hold a lightsaber, and you will see nothing more than a woman – or a man. A child."
>>
>>7505068
Okay yeah that's pretty gay
>>
>>7505068
>any sign of compassion towards the same sex
>gay
I bet you're one of those people who gets freaked out when his friend's hand accidentally touches his own for a second
>>
File: 340.jpg (32 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
340.jpg
32 KB, 340x340
Best book is Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and that's more a collection of short stories.

Best short story is "Of Possible Futures".

Best trilogy (in my opinion) is the Bounty Hunter Wars.

This is coming from someone who's read almost every Star Wars book.

None are canon anymore, although Disney has confirmed Boba Fett being alive in their new canon, so why not?

also
>Dengar best bounty hunter
>>
>>7505613
It's written like a romance novel. The prose makes it gay.
>>
>>7505615
to add to this:
these books will get you into the Boba Fett fandom, and it's a good fandom, but don't go too far down that path. It is a dark one filled with many terrible novels and comics.

General rule of thumb is if it's got Boba wielding a lightsaber on the cover, stay away.

That shit was ruled noncanon before Disney even acquired Star Wars.

And, no, they're not literary masterpieces, but the ones I mentioned are written well.
>>
>>7505452
Go back to /v/, this written is mediocre.
>>
>>7505639
thanks anon, will take your word for it
>>
>>7505001
Fucking Chuck Wendig, really?
>used to read his writing blog
>stopped because every entry started to sound the same, and not in a good way.
>>
>>7505001
They all read like fanfic.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.