[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading words that you don't know. >ignore then and try
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Reading words that you don't know.
>ignore then and try to grasp the context
>stop and look up each and every one
>only look up the ones that interest you
Which is it, /lit/?
>>
>>7499732
Depends on how much I care about the book.
>>
I'm currently looking up every single one as well as writing them down in a notebook to improve my English vocabulary. It really helps but stops any kind of progress with my reading list.

fucking clover app
>>
>try to guess from context/etymology, sometimes it's surprisingly simple
>if can't, look it up on wiktionary with etymology
>understand constituent/root words (e.g. latin)
>helps to memorise the word by adding more detail about it in your mind ("adumbrate --> ad umbra --> fore-shadow --> imply, portend," instead of just "adumbrate means portend!!")
>>
My kobo comes built in with a dictionary so if I everytime I don't understand a word I just tap it and get the definition
>>
I enjoyed looking everything up in Book of the New Sun.
>>
It's rarely impossible to guess what a word means based on the context. In fact that's usually how I learn new words. I've actually gone and used words in school essays that I only knew because I heard them in a book and I didn't know what they meant except for context. Then I look up the definition and it turns out I'm using them correctly.
>>
>>7500147
Same as me. I got a near A in Spanish despite having almost no grasp of the language when I was young, just from a bit of Hemingway and the odd phrases I pieced together.

Were you ever mad dyslexic? I used to have no natural ability to spell, and learnt it all totally contextually - I'm really good at filling in gaps no homo, probably what got me into literature.
>>
>not knowing every word in a book

hows it feel to be LITERALLY retarded?
>>
I always read a book through once, even if I can't understand a lot of the words, ploughing through nonetheless. I try to read it in one sitting.

Then I reread it, taking it slowly and looking up any words I don't know.
>>
I write down every word I don't know and look them up later. I feel like if I stopped and looked them up as I read it would cut into the process of reading a little too much.
>>
Top priority is immersion in the flow and essence of the text I think, so I'm less inclined to stop and look up words because of that. As has been mentioned, context is generally sufficient to give the meaning of a word and how it's working in the text.
>>
Look it up quickly if i remember
>tfw twice in recent book used the word trismegercal or something and unable to find definition
>>
On my Paperwhite 3 I can just press on the word and I get a definition, easy peazy. I can even note down whole interesting sentences in it to revisit them after finishing the book.
>>
>>7499732
is OP talking primarily about fiction or philosophy books? I am asking because in humanities finding meaning of each word that has after all plenty of meanings by different theorists, schools etc. is (in my oppinion) impossible. On the other hand, reading e. g. FoucaultĀ“s texts without stopping by seems pretty pointless aswell. Maybe I am wrong tho. Just oppinion of pleb.
>>
>>7499732
>>7499732
is OP talking primarily about fiction or philosophy books? I am asking because in humanities finding meaning of each word that has after all plenty of meanings by different theorists, schools etc. is (in my oppinion) impossible. On the other hand, reading e. g. FoucaultĀ“s texts without stopping by seems pretty pointless aswell. Maybe I am wrong tho. Just oppinion of pleb.
>>
>>7501307
>>7501311
We get it you read foucault
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.