[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, foreignfag here. I'm looking for a word/phrase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1414550023126.jpg (14 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
1414550023126.jpg
14 KB, 300x100
Hey /lit/, foreignfag here. I'm looking for a word/phrase to describe this:

What does one call the state of being immersed in one's inner "world"? For example, autistic people are often immersed in their inner "world", not responding to their name and ignoring social solicitations.
Basically, something like daydreaming but where one is more detached from the outside world.

What would be a good word/phrase to describe this?
>>
autism
>>
>>7497143
rainman of hoffman
>>
"brown study" but that often has melancholy connotations

or you could say someone is "miles away" or variations thereof: "sorry, i was a hundred miles away, could you repeat that?"
>>
>>7497143
The clinical definition of what you're describing is "Catatonia".
>>
>>7497166
No, not necessarily. What I described is seen in a big range of conditions, from adjustment disorder and ADHD to autism to psychotic depression to catatonic schizophrenia. It can also be normal if it doesn't pose a problem in functioning.
>>
>>7497143

"Wool-gathering" is one colloquial description, but it may be too benign (and too temporary) for what you're looking for.

"Introverted" is probably closer, but I can't imagine you're not familiar with it, so presumably that's not what you want.

"Inner-directed" could work, but is a bit clinical.
>>
>>7497143

Lost in thought.
>>
>>7497182
No, that is what you asked for.

It's not a condition in and of itself, but a state that can manifest in several conditions. Like the ones you described and in autism, with varying degrees of severity.

t. used to work with special needs people
>>
>>7497143
Entranced or in a trance.
>>
>>7497185
>It's not a condition in and of itself, but a state that can manifest in several conditions
I'd think of "solipsism" as much more generalised than what you're talking about, but it may still apply.
>>
Introspection.
>>
Derealisation/Depersonalisation
>>
>>7497185
I know what catatonia is, and it isn't what I'm describing. Catatonia also includes waxy flexibility (cereas flexibilitas) or negativism and resistance to being displaced, as well as catatonic stupor. There are other symptoms as well. And this is if we're talking about catatonic stupor.
There's a whole set of other symptoms in catatonic excitement.

If what I described was catatonia, then a huge portion of autistic people could be said to be catatonic, which is not the case (catatonia is rare in autism, even though it does occur).

If my definition contains a small portion of symptoms which are present in catatonia, it doesn't mean that my definition is that of catatonia.

>>7497930
No, just no.

Why is there so much psychobabble on /lit/? People who have no clue about psychology or psychiatry seem to answer like they're experts with higher education on the topic.
>>
the correct term would be "vegetable", in case of a nigger "eggplant"
>>
Deep in thought

Consumed in x

Engrossed in x

Immersed in x

Contemplative

I'd say

Withdrawn
>>
Millennial.
>>
>>7497143
a never-ending and real dope state of constant reverie, or Jr. High
>>
>>7497143

Pensive meditation?

Introspection?

World-building?
>>
>>7497906
This desu, they're called solipsistic states
>>
>>7497143
"Deep in thought" or "self/inner monologue"
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.