[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it good? The movie has some good reviews.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: 9780753827666.jpg (31 KB, 372x400) Image search: [Google]
9780753827666.jpg
31 KB, 372x400
Is it good?
The movie has some good reviews.
>>
nah, just watch the movie. There are better books to give your time to.
>>
>>7494411
No
>>
>>7494411
No
>>
>>7494411

It's a solid page turner thriller.
>>
>>7495888
i.e watch the movie
>>
>>7495888
>>7495916
Thanks, Gillian Flynn
>>
>>7495916

Watch the movie, read the original ending of the book in a book store?
>>
My wife likes the book.

>its shit
>>
/lit/ just hates the book because the winner in the book is a woman.
>>
>>7495940
It's a woman's fantasy written by a women. Just saying, if you like the book... Chances are you are either a faglord or actually a female
>>
>>7495950
>It's a woman's fantasy written by a women

That's pretty funny considering how Gillian Flynn has been accused of being a misogynist due to how she portrays Amy.
>>
>>7495940
Nah, /lit/ dislikes all books that are just for entertainment.

I loved it, even though it got a bit silly towards the end. Definitely going to read more by her.
>>
>>7495940
>all people who dislike this piece of fiction I like, written by an individual who happens to be female must be muh soggy nists
classic female mentality right there.

shoo shoo roast beef
>>
>>7495964
You can write a women's power fantasy and still be a misogynist. Gone Girl features a pretty fucked up protagonist along the lines of American Psycho (dialed back, but bear with me), but she still gets basically what she wants through malicious womanly cunning and all that crap.
>>
>>7494414
>>7494419
>>7494426
>>7495916
>Didn't read the book
>>
>>7494411
As a novel it's a good movie script
>>
>>7495964
>>7496011
This kinda shit right here is what holds literature by and about women (& our perception of it) so much. Take Patrick Bateman. He's a despicable motherfucker, but BEE would never get called a sexist, because everybody understands that a character is a character, and literature is literature, when it comes to men. But as soon as a woman is involved, her femaleness becomes the only focal point of attention. You create a male character as fucked as Amy and he's just called a supervillain or an anti-hero; you do it with a woman and you've suddenly incurred in the "womanly cunning" trope or some shit.
>>
book is shit

no reason it shouldn't make a good movie plot, but havent seen it
>>
>>7495978
>Nah, /lit/ dislikes all books that are just for entertainment.
but we like films called The Entertainment
>>
>>7495916

Never stick your dick in crazy British girls with strong abs.
>>
>>7496011

Except it's very clear at the end that Amy is a pretty sad and hollow person who will never be happy. She's spent her whole life trying on different personas and pretending to be different people, and now she's just trying on a new one (brilliant, brave heroine who saved herself from a monster, married to a loving man who was cruelly martyred by the press!). The shine is going to wear off and she'll get bored, like she gets bored of everything, and ruin their lives again.

She isn't portrayed as being that brilliant either. She IS bright and does a pretty good job of framing her husband and then doing a 180 when a better opportunity arises, but the police say there are holes in the story, they KNOW she's lying at the end, and Amy gets away with it anyway because the world doesn't want to believe that this pretty blonde white lady could ever be the bad guy. They want her to have undergone a harrowing experience and be the victim of some cruel man, whether it's her husband or her stalker, so she just gets away with it all. It's not a happy ending for her or anyone else.
>>
>>7496131
>but BEE would never get called a sexist
wat?
>>
Genuinely enjoyed it. Although at times I found all the characters had the same neurotic template, which took away somewhat. Still, great page-turner.
>>
>>7495920
>asks for opinions
>it's good
>stop shilling hurr
>>
>>7496368
back to reddit
>>
>>7496368
Initials of the author
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.