[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best books about the sea, sailing, whaling, or fishing? Preferably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1440258634590.jpg (45 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
1440258634590.jpg
45 KB, 500x485
Best books about the sea, sailing, whaling, or fishing? Preferably nothing too modern
>>
moby dick
>>
File: 714PH4X5FRL.gif (165 KB, 313x474) Image search: [Google]
714PH4X5FRL.gif
165 KB, 313x474
>>
File: FwuEZ7b - Imgur.gif (1 MB, 279x352) Image search: [Google]
FwuEZ7b - Imgur.gif
1 MB, 279x352
>>7490829
Fleet tactics and coastal combat by Wayne Huges

Someone on reddit (inb4 >reddit) made fun of me for liking Military Doctrine and theory books but I don't know, you might like them !
>>
Lord Jim
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
>>
Moby Dick
a bunch of Conrad's
Typhoon
The Shadow Line
Youth
Victory
The Nigger of the Narcissus
The Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian though book 2 in the series is pretty much land locked
Captains Courageous and Treasure Island but they're more kids books
>>
>>7490829
The Sound of Waves and The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea. They aren't so much about actual sailing and the sea, more dealing with some of the weirder romanticism that surrounds them
>>
>>7490848
Any other Military Doctrine and theory books not about naval combat?
>>
Eugene O'Neill had a bunch of one act plays called the SS Glencairn plays they included The Long Voyage Home; In the Zone: The Moon over the Caribees and Bound East for Cardiff
very atmospheric, good dialogue and pretty good story-telling in general
>>
File: Far Tortuga.jpg (21 KB, 317x500) Image search: [Google]
Far Tortuga.jpg
21 KB, 317x500
>>
The Old Man and the Sea
Islands in the Stream
To Have and Have Not
>>
Far Tortuga
island of the blue Dolphins
Lord of the flies
The old man and the sea
>>
File: german.png (144 KB, 601x590) Image search: [Google]
german.png
144 KB, 601x590
>>7490872
This one, "The Changes in German Tactical Doctrine During the First World War"
is not a book as it is an essay but it is really interesting and it is readily available online ( http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/lupfer.pdf ) !
>>
>>7490924
Cool. I just read a book on Napoleonic tactics.
You should make a gdoc list of military theory books.
>>
File: 612.jpg (4 MB, 2500x1816) Image search: [Google]
612.jpg
4 MB, 2500x1816
One of the leading experts on George Berkeley wrote a book called Fishing and Thinking.

>This angling classic belongs in the tackle box or bookshelf of every thinking fly fisherman. An avid angler in the streams, rivers, tarns, and lakes of Ireland, A. A. Luce believed fly fishing offered unique opportunities for reflection. This engrossing study of the most intellectual of outdoor pursuits is his gift to like-minded souls everywhere.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.