[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
R8 the favourite books of my uni's English faculty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (291 KB, 702x1219) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
291 KB, 702x1219
R8 the favourite books of my uni's English faculty
>>
>>7488735
Picked a weak Wodehouse, an edition of Anna Karenina with a cover that needs to be burned and the rest are irrelevant books to gather dust on shelves.

3/10 that's the best I can do
>>
>>7488735
1. Anna Karenina
2. Tolkien
3 - 8. Never heard of
>>
>>7488735
shit
>>
File: 14492761537451.jpg (303 KB, 1275x1024) Image search: [Google]
14492761537451.jpg
303 KB, 1275x1024
Extremely Loud was shiiiiiiiiiit. The zoo part was cool, but the rest of it was half baked garbage.

Who cares what the English faculty thinks? They are retards
>>
>academia
>useful to society

Only one.
>>
>>7488735
top plebs
>>
>>7488735
What school are you at? This is bad.
>>
>>7488985
http://myerenglish.weebly.com/faculty.html

OP lied. This is for a high school, not a university. These are high school teachers, not professors.

It's understandable now.
>>
>>7489001
and you need to fuck off outta this board cunt
>>
>>7489001
I just linked you the website where he got the pic from, it's a poorly performing small high school in Canada.

>http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/secondary/A_N_Myer_Secondary_School/Niagara_Falls/Report_Card.aspx

High school teachers for a mediocre high school aren't going to have excellent taste. You can bet the favorites for faculty in a ranked university will look far different than this.
>>
>>7489041
I know what a favorite book is, anon.

For professors, they pick a field of study to dedicate their entire career to. If their favorite book isn't within that field of study, it's ridiculous that they cared enough to get a doctorate in that field.

Almost any professor I've had is devoted entirely to the works of some author, usually the reason why they even took an interest in what they publish for. For one of my teachers, it's been Emerson. Another is obsessed with Twain. Their favorites reflect their research.

It's not going to be something like Foer or Rachel Joyce, even for professors of contemporary literature.
>>
>>7488994

Mr./Ms. Not Professor.... how pathetic.

Is there a more useless thing to do that study English at any institution in 2015?

>Not getting a PhD in Physics, Mathematics
>Not doing an easy but fun science like Geological Oceanography or Biotechnology
>Not at least doing the low tier grunt work of an Engineer or Programmer
>Not at the most basic tier studying Chinese and International Business or Marketing

Do you even want to have money friend?

Another waitress waiting in the wings. Well until robots do a better job than you do. Then it's an endless stream of failed small businesses and downsizing to smaller and smaller apartments. I see such illustrious positions as Dog Walker, Sanitation Technician, Hot Dog Stand Vendor, Busker, Rentboy, Rentman, Homeless in your future.
>>
>>7489001
University is university you retarded plebeian, get out of my board
>>
>>7489059
Who are you talking about? Those are teachers, obviously employed.
>>
>>7489071
I'm English, the equivalent of University in England is University.
>>
>>7489071
For not believing that high school is exactly the same thing as university? As in, the educators require the same credentials? Because that was the reason for specifying.
>>
>>7489059
not everyones parents are poor and force their children into STEM
>>
>>7489087
My parents were poor. All it meant is that they were beyond ecstatic that I even graduated high school. They don't give a shit about anything after that.
>>
Timothy Findley is p underrated even in Canadian faculties.

sage for dumb thread
>>
Anna Karenina is good
I really don't know what else to say.
>>
>>7489001
>this level of damage control
>>
>>7488735
>Birdsong
Your faculty is shite. That book is fucking wank.
>>
>>7489066
The only way that they could be employed, as teachers
>>
>>7488877
First post is best post.
>>
Not really thread related but since you guys were talking about tolkien and the silmarillion, should you read that one before LOTR and the hobbit or just in what order should you?
>>
>>7488985
> how out of touch the shitposters here are with actual literature.
> actual literature

Not trying to be a dick, but are you < 18 years old? I find it hard to imagine that anyone who's attended a university could honestly believe that university faculty have some sort of privileged position when it comes to "good" literature. They work at the university because they're the rare bread who, out of perversion or character flaw, manage to thrive in an environment of deep-seated resentment and pathological narcissism. It was Foucault who first identified the academy as the modern day analog of the asylum, and in 2015 there can be little doubt that he's wrong.

And in any case, academics themselves will tell you as much. They've long abandoned any claims of certain works being especially merited, choosing instead to examine "texts" as mere signifies of social structures and power relations.

This romantic view of your's is not just blatantly stupid, it's rejected by the very individuals you romanticize.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.