[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/! Any scifi fans here? What'd you all think of this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 313x475
Hi /lit/! Any scifi fans here? What'd you all think of this book?
>>
>>7486501
I fucking loved it! I am a positivist and it provides a wonderful framework to demonstrate everything I have been indoctrinated to believe is true.

by the by is anyone else checking this place out from imgur? it's pretty weird. how do I let other users know if I approve of their posts?
>>
>>7486509
Top kek. The Imgur thing came to mind when I saw this thread too. OP is here to improve our list that had too many classics. More YA shite.
>>
>>7486501

This or 1984 is my favorite book, I can't decide between both. It's a tie I guess
>>
I give it ten pirate-ninjas out of ten!

Only ppl who read the book will get this ;)
>>
File: BDJdI.jpg (110 KB, 623x480) Image search: [Google]
BDJdI.jpg
110 KB, 623x480
Legitimately beautiful. As a holder of a Bachelors in a STEM field, I found it to be really very accurate. Weir is a master storyteller.
>>
Favorite literature of all time after Batman: Year One and Eragon
>>
kind of just stopping by on this site because I seen a list of books from here. I love the martian and if this is the kind of books Ill find here I think ill stick around
>>
>>7486523

As an historian I'd like to add 'A brave new world' to that list
>>
I can't believe how funny it was!

It's amazing how positive the protagonist was during the whole book. It really made me think about the deeper meaning behind it all.
>>
File: cPFqa.jpg (59 KB, 643x700) Image search: [Google]
cPFqa.jpg
59 KB, 643x700
>>7486565
As a bachelor with a Bachelor's of Science in a STEM related field, I think 1984 has more truth in it then The Brave New World, I mean look at Snowden and the NSA, Orwell saw it all coming and tried to warn us all.
>>
>>7486501
As a holder of a Bachelor's in Spaceships, I can tell you that it was a really accurate read, while managing to keep tension with its storytelling style!

5/7, could not recommend enough dear gentlesirs!
>>
Anne frankly, I did nazi that coming. I literally came here to say this but boy, that escalated quickly so to the top with you! Lost it at 'This is why we can't have nice things' and then my faith in humanity was restored, my mind blown, and manly tears were shed. Well said. As a 'murican, I can confirm this gem has just won the internet and is doing it right. Just sayin', I know that feel, bro, and while that was a risky click, this post was a 9/10, 11/10 with rice, would read again. I see what you did there and it feels good man. You're doing God's work, son. I laughed way harder than I should have at your list that seems legit and totally nailed it. You - I like you. You magnificent bastard; you, sir, are so brave, a gentleman and a scholar, and seeing how you are a redditor for 4 years, this checks out, so I'll allow it. I regret that I only have one upvote to give for this cool story, bro. CTRL+F "about tree fiddy" was not disappointed. Wait, why do I have you tagged as "NOPE NOPE NOPE"? Nice try, you monster. You are now banned from /r/pyongyang What did I just read? Dafuq? I read that as "YOU HAD ONE JOB". I can't fap to this. No true scotsman could see that this relevant XKCD was bad, and you should feel bad. You must be new to reddit, so I'll see your cakeday and raise you a karma train. One does not simply rustle my jimmies, not even once. Jet fuel can't melt dank memes, that stahp gave me cancer for science, so that's enough internet for me today. OP is a fuzzy little man-peach, 2/10, would not bang. What is this I don't even know how is this wtf? Fuck Jenny. Circlejerk must be leaking. This will get buried but brace yourselves, some men want to watch the world burn right in the feels. When you see it, they'll KILL IT WITH FIRE! But this has nothing to do with atheism. Lawyer up, delete facebook, hit the gym, and SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, said no one ever, so you wouldn't download a strawman. /r/dadjokes. Damn onions, you scary like a BOSS.
>>
science is kick ass!
>>
This book just reaffirmed my view that STEM people should be in charge of everything. Andy Weir, a STEM major, managed to write a book more touching and powerful than any English major. 10/10. The movie was great too but, as always, not as good as the book. (I'm kind of a book snob haha)
>>
>>7486614
Its kick ass and KICKS ASS (hehe)
>>
>>7486501
what did you guys think about the jab at the humanities he included?

"If I had taken to any other interest (for example the arts or philosophy), I would not be alive today. Being able to use science to MacGyver our ways out of any problem is the defining feature of humans." page 145
>>
File: 14492751963651.jpg (124 KB, 726x1080) Image search: [Google]
14492751963651.jpg
124 KB, 726x1080
>>7486631
We all die, who cares, why fight so hard?
>>
>>7486607
This reads like the Oxen of the Sun chapter of Ulysses if James Joyce was held down and forcefed Reddit.
>>
>>7486631
Truer words have never been spoken! Have all my golds sir!
>>
File: And I like you.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
And I like you.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>7486647
>>
>>7486647
'Tis good to see so many arbiters of TRUE knowledge on this website!
>>
File: 7969.jpg (96 KB, 675x1200) Image search: [Google]
7969.jpg
96 KB, 675x1200
This book gave me a new perspective on the world
>>
>>7486501

It's hard to even begin discussing what this book did to me, it redefined my outlook on life in so many ways
>>
>>7486666
Hm.. something tells me I don't even need to say it haha!
>>
hello reddit
>>
>>7486501
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7486501
Second only to Ready Player One. Funny, smart, written in a way an intelligent person writes and thimks. Humanities majors btfo forever.
>>
>>7486535
W e w l a d
>>
>>7486990
This.

This is the epic posting /lit/ needs.
>>
>>7486990
W e w l a d
>>
File: image.jpg (138 KB, 597x922) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
138 KB, 597x922
My favorite is the autobiography of Amy Acker
>>
>>7486501
We should make a meme with this book just like the DFW memes
>>
>>7487043
Excuse me?
>>
>>7487003
JUST
>>
File: 1450640493678.gif (4 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1450640493678.gif
4 MB, 400x400
Why does /lit/ hate STEM people so much
Is it because you can't find employment with your meme majors
>>
>>7487131
We don't hate STEM. STEM is the only source of knowledge and progress. All other fields are just about people too stupid to work as a programming consultant.
>>
>>7487131
I don't hate STEM majors.
I just wish I wasn't inbred so I could get on an Engineering course instead of Philosophy :(
>>
>>7486607

That was an excellent summation of modern Internet-speak on common websites. Needs a top seventeen list along with "nailed it" and "will amaze you."
>>
>>7487131
People who are dumber than me but work at boring shit make lots of money. That feels wrong.
>>
>>7486990
Not understanding irony. Back to Reddit senpai.
>>
>>7486529
You, sir, win the internet.
>>
>>7487581
This one stung, t b h
>>
>>7487431
5/7
>>
File: zhuangzi.jpg (127 KB, 1024x776) Image search: [Google]
zhuangzi.jpg
127 KB, 1024x776
>>7486631
>study philosophy
>don't go into space like some tryhard faggot
>problems preemptively solved
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.