[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should i read this? If not why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
Should i read this? If not why?
>>
Do you understand Kant?
>>
>>7484034

DUDE ABSOLUTE SPIRIT LMAO
>>
also what should i read before this to understand it?
>>
>>7484034
Do you have a PHD in phil? If so you already would have read it. If not, don't even bother.
>>
>>7484039
>>7484035
>>
>>7484061
never read him. what does he go on about?
>>
>>7484039
Just go at it. If you don't have the relevant life experience to understand it no amount of reading will help you.
>>
>>7484066
You will not understand Hegel without reading Kant. Do you really want me to explain it to you right now? Do you really think that is how reading philosophy works?
>>
>>7484075
Do it pussy.
>>7484074
>>
>>7484075
you will never understand Hegel even reading all of Kant
>>
>>7484075
Haha,another internet faggot full of himself
>>
>>7484075
Understand Descartes, Hume, Kant, Schelling, then read Hegel's Encyclopaedia, then maybe you'll understand bits and pieces of his Phenomenology.
>>
File: 1417831214299.png (776 KB, 1321x600) Image search: [Google]
1417831214299.png
776 KB, 1321x600
Hegel thread?
>>
File: 1450620271953.jpg (67 KB, 618x576) Image search: [Google]
1450620271953.jpg
67 KB, 618x576
>>7484102
>bay gurl

It's pronounced bay gull.
>>
>>7484039
The problem with asking this of Hegel is that the correct answer ends up being something like, "almost all of the main works of Western philosophy." Kant's important to understand too, but his ideas really come up at certain points in the work, and I'm not persuaded that you have to have *that* much of a background in Kant to understand the work itself (it *will* help you understand something like the intellectual context that Hegel was contributing and responding to, but you don't *need* to have that much background in Kant to "get it"; if you read Kant's 'Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals', you'll be able to see what Hegel's responding to in the 'Morality' section of the 'Spirit' chapter).
>>
>>7484075
Talking to girls and smoking weed is arguably more important. Being a woman or a minority also helps since you'll know what it's like to be inessential and being forced to adopt a white-male centric perspective. .
>>
>>7484142
you shut your whore mouth
>>
>>7484126
This is wrong.

1) You can't even get your foot in the door without fully understanding the Copernican turn.
2) The Groundwork barely scratches the surface of what Kant means by practical reason.

When you put these two together however you're already halfway there. Got to read Kant. No way around it.
>>
>>7484260
...I'm a Nietzsche man myself but every philosopher has their merits
>>
>>7484284
high school male confirmed
>>
>>7484274
For grasping Hegel? Bullshit. I've read the first two Critiques, and they bear much less on the Phenomenology than most people think (and I suspect that those who make those claims most strongly aren't themselves as well versed in the Phenomenology as they'd like to think).

And what's the point of noting the difference between the Groundwork and the second Critique? All I said was that reading the Groundwork can be informative to what Hegel discusses in the Morality section of the Spirit chapter, which is the section with the most obvious interest in Kant.

Again, my claim above is that reading Kant in order to grasp something of Hegel *is fine*, but that emphasizing Kant to the greatest possible degree gets Hegel's Phenomenology wrong, and just ignores, for example, the greater influence of thinkers like Plato, Aristotle, and Spinoza on his thought. The claim that Kant is where one *must* begin in order to understand Hegel is a claim that's both as textbook and as wrong as the "thesis-antithesis-synthesis" triad always claimed of him.
>>
>>7484316
Bullshit!
>>
im going to intentionally misunderstand this work in order to create a new perception of reality for myself
>>
>>7484433
If your perception of reality isn't more awkward and self-conscious than the one before you aren't misunderstanding it correctly
>>
>>7484433
I think Hegel would actually endorse this attitude to a certain point.
>>
>>7484075
>You will not understand Hegel

FTFY. I had to read it several times and take notes and re-read the notes several times to even get a simple view of what he was talking about.
>>
File: 1448636351870.jpg (203 KB, 964x678) Image search: [Google]
1448636351870.jpg
203 KB, 964x678
>>7484924
ive never read anything of his before i just wanted to know what this book was about and if i should get into it or buy something like 2666 or middle march instead
>>
>>7485024
If you are just look for something to read on your spare time (like a novel), I have some bad news for you.
>>
>>7485038
looking*
>>
>>7485038
give me the low down Hegel's beagles
>>
>>7484034
Just read it m8. Just do it. Stop listening to these cocksuckers! If you don't know what the fuck is going on, then keep reading, because that's how Hegel works. It's not goddamned Euclid.

>>7484316
This anon knows what's up. Sure Hegel was working to answer Kant (everyone was), but Hegel's answer is in no way encapsulated within Kant's work. He does something totally different, which is why he gets so much shit, because unlike everyone post-Kant, he isn't on about sucking Kant's dick all the time.
>>
File: 1450136504652.png (281 KB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
1450136504652.png
281 KB, 638x434
>reading texts written past the middle ages
Literally all you need.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.