[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quotes thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: wallpaper_van-gogh_animaatjes-36.jpg (698 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper_van-gogh_animaatjes-36.jpg
698 KB, 1920x1200
Fuck it, lets have a favorite quotes thread.

"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity." -- Ecclesiastes 1:2

"The stone that the builders refused has become the cornerstone." -- Psalm 118:22

"Someone, I tell you, will remember us,
even in another time." -- Sappho

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always." -- Rilke

"I am the slave of my baptism. Parents, you have caused my misfortune, and you have caused your own." -- Arthur Rimbaud

“The wolf howled under the leaves.
And spit out the prettiest feathers.
Of his meal of fowl:
Like him I consume myself.”
― Arthur Rimbaud
>>
"I saw my brothers slain. Few understand the pain, few can hear my cry."

~Adolf Hitler
>>
A goodly Tree farr distant to behold
Loaden with fruit of fairest colours mixt,
Ruddie and Gold
>>
File: edhy2.jpg (18 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
edhy2.jpg
18 KB, 300x200
>>7482874
>>
"There was surely nothing to indicate at the time that such evidently small incidents would render whole dreams irredeemable." - Kazuo Ishiguro, The Remains of the Day
>>
"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"
Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
>>
>>7482849
no one quotes like i do.

Sometimes sand gets locked in your head and you make it into a human pearl. - Me
>>
"'I did that', says my memory.
'I could not have done that' says my pride and remains inexorable.
Eventually, the memory yields."

"I listened for the echo and I heard only praise."

"We were once on a time so near one another in the course of our lives, that nothing more seemed to hinder our friendship and fraternity, and there was merely a small plank between us. While you were just about to step on it, I asked you: "Do you want to come across the footbridge to me?" But then you did not want to come any longer; and when I again entreated, you were silent. Since then mountains and torrents, and whatever separates and alienates, have interposed between us, and even if we wanted to come to one another, we could no longer do so!"

―Nietzsche
>>
Never, never, never, never, never
>>
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
>>
“It is the bliss of childhood that we are being warped most when we know it the least.”

-William Gaddis
“So everything lets us down, including curiosity and honesty and what we love best. Yes, said the voice, but cheer up, it's fun in the end.”

-Roberto Bolaño

“You’re not really an adult at all. You’re just a tall child holding a beer, having a conversation you don’t understand.”

-Dylan Moran
>>
to love another person is to see the face of god - victor hugo
>>
"Wenn mir eine schöne Melodie einfällt ist mir das lieber als ein Leopoldsorden"

"Space is literally the most stupid thing there is"
>>
>>7483142
More
>>
>>7484354
"Yo soy de los que creen que el ser humano está condenado de antemano a la derrota, a la derrota sin apelaciones, pero que hay que salir y dar la pelea y darla, además, de la mejor forma posible, de cara y limpiamente, sin pedir cuartel (porque además no te lo darán), e intentar caer como un valiente, y que eso es nuestra victoria."
-Roberto Bolaño
>>
>>7484354
More eggs m'lady? - Me
>>
>>7483181
Ian Paisley?
>>
This thread is gut

"Yes Father, I shall become a Bat" -Batman Year One

"You don't get it boy, this isn't a mudhole, it's an operating table, and I'm the surgeon." -The Dark Knight Returns

Bats2op4u
Bonus Rixote (too lazy to translate)

"Dichosa edad y siglos dichosos aquéllos a quien los antiguos pusieron nombre de dorados, y no porque en ellos el oro, que en esta nuestra edad de hierro tanto se estima, se alcanzase en aquella venturosa sin fatiga alguna, sino porque entonces los que en ella vivían ignoraban estas dos palabras de tuyo y mío."

The Speech with the Goatherders about this "Golden Age" is so fucking Avant-Garde it looks like fucking Rousseau wrote it, when Cervantes is a Century before Rousseau and the vs Hobbes argument. Cheeky Cervantes masks his ideals with Quixote's "Madness".
>>
>>7484501
Forgot this
>>
>>7483142
You ever heard of A A Lewis?
>>
I'm a faggot - OP
>>
"there are moments when even i'm the motion of my limbs and when even i can have the pleasure of owing every liquid second to you and to the spring in your voice and i'd like to call you "honey" just before kissing you so i can feel it when you laugh - i like it when i try and fail to write about you; it means everything that i can't map you out in prose. the less i can say about you, the more there is that needs to be said but never will"
>>
>Vague impressions of something indefinable have no place in the rationalistic system.... Nevertheless, if we look on man's whole mental life as it exists ..., we have to confess that the part of it of which rationalism can give an account of is relatively superficial. It is the part that has the prestige undoubtedly, for it has the loquacity, it can challenge you for proofs, and chop logic, and put you down with words.... Your whole subconscious life, your impulses, your faiths, your needs, your divinations, have prepared the premises, of which your consciousness now feels the weight of the result; and something in you absolutely knows that that result must be truer than any logic-chopping rationalistic talk, however clever, that may contradict it.
>>
I am the voice that calls out through the desert, "Make straight the way of the Lord." - John 1:23

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. - Romans 12:2

[...] and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. - Hebrews 9:22

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. - Confucius

BANQUO It will be rain tonight.
FIRST MURDERER Let it come down. - Macbeth by William Shakespeare

"My dear miss," said Candide, "when one is in love, jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, one becomes a stranger to oneself." - Candide by Voltaire

FAUST You seem to like eavesdropping.
MEPHISTOPHELES I am not
omniscient, but I know a lot.
- Faust by Goethe

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Gautama Buddha

And a church spire sketched on the sky,
of sheet metal and open beams, to resemble
a church spire
- Morning by William Carlos Williams

Another reason Hawthorne set his story in the past (in lies) was 'cause he couldn't say directly all the wild things he wanted to say. He was living in a society to which ideas and writing still mattered. In 'The Custom House', the introduction to [i]The Scarlet Letter[/i], Hawthorne makes sure he tells us the story of The Scarlet Letter occurred long ago and has nothing to do with anyone who's now living. After all, Hawthorne had to protect himself so he could keep writing. Right now I can speak as directly as I want 'cause no one gives a shit about writing and ideas, all anyone cares about is money. Even if one person in Boise, Idaho, gave half-a-shit, the only book Mr Idaho can get his hands on is a book the publishers, or rather the advertisers ('cause all businessmen are now advertisers) have decided will net half-a-million in movie and/or TV rights. A book that can be advertised. Define culture that way. - p. 66 of Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker

Yet why not say what happened? - "Epilogue" by Robert Lowell

For peace of mind I will lie about any thing at any time. - "Church Cancels Cow" by Amy Hempel

I have always associated [Al Que Quiere!] with a figure on a soccer field: to him who wants the ball to be passed to him. ... I was convinced nobody in the world of poetry wanted me but I was there willing to pass the ball if anyone did want it. - William Carlos Williams

Living is no laughing matter:
you must take it seriously,
so much so and to such a degree
that, for example, your hands tied behind your back,
your back to the wall,
or else in a laboratory
in your white coat and safety glasses,
you can die for people--
even for people whose faces you've never seen,
even though you know living
is the most real, the most beautiful thing. - "On Living" by Nazim Hikmet
>>
File: 1449886530724.jpg (211 KB, 969x596) Image search: [Google]
1449886530724.jpg
211 KB, 969x596
The knight's bones are dust
His good sword turned to rust;
His soul is with the saints, I trust
>>
>>7482849
"'Yes, we'll endorse their opinion' he said.
'We have to' I said. 'They are the Muses after all'"
From Plato's Republic

And I also like this from the Spiritual Canticle of St. John of the Cross:
"No one looked at her,
nor did Aminadab appear;
the siege was still;
and the cavalry,
at the sight of the waters, descended."
>>
"I do not understand, Socrates, that which you are saying."
-Euthyphro
>>
File: 1434190833049.jpg (542 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1434190833049.jpg
542 KB, 1920x1200
>>7487828
"Get good Euthy-Bruh ayy lmao" - Socrates
>>
>>7483128
Wow that just sounds good, one shouldnt think about it
>>
>>7485865

the buddha quote is supreme intellectual cringe

this fucking board is full of teenagers
>>
Your hands are captive doves. Your lips are silent doves (that come to coo before my eyes).
All of your gestures are birds. You’re a swallow when you stoop, a condor when you look at me, and an eagle in your disdainful lady’s ecstasies. I look at you and see a pond full of flapping wings
You are nothing but wings
-Pessoa

In my own country I am in a far-off land
I am strong but I have no force or power
I win all yet remain a loser
At break of day I say goodnight
When I lie down I have a great fear
Of falling.
– François Villon

"The truly worthwhile things that humans create are wild things; things that channel, rather than tame, the wildness of nature; generative things that reshape our world in its own image."
-I Forgot
>>
>>7488078
It's just "things fail in more interesting ways than they go right" translated into familyspeak
>>
File: 10.jpg (28 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
28 KB, 432x288
>>7488400
>Your hands are captive doves. Your lips are silent doves (that come to coo before my eyes).
>All of your gestures are birds. You’re a swallow when you stoop, a condor when you look at me, and an eagle in your disdainful lady’s ecstasies. I look at you and see a pond full of flapping wings
>You are nothing but wings

>pessoa quote
>first letter of each line reads "yay"
>mfw
>>
>>7483128
Opening line
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.