[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the benefits of being well-read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: 1280.jpg (70 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
70 KB, 640x480
What are the benefits of being well-read?
>>
Culture and historical references, a more versatile vocabulary, and I'm tempted to say a quicker wit and thought process.
>>
>>7481571
a smug sense of superiority pervading your every action
>>
>>7481571
Understanding the more subtle shitposts on this board.
>>
>>7481571

If you find yourself reading for any other purpose but enjoyment than your time could be spent elsewhere with better results.
>>
File: 1360491112058.png (64 KB, 331x286) Image search: [Google]
1360491112058.png
64 KB, 331x286
That human + cat pair is just enormously cute. I'm making all kinds of squeaky noises here.

To answer your question: it may make you wiser on a lot of topics. Reading just one radical feminist book has *literally* reshaped my outlook on life, society, relationships, women, and more. Not kidding, not shilling.

"I've spent ten years writing these books. Had I wanted to call all men rapists and scream, that takes ten seconds." -- Andrea Dworkin (paraphrased)

http://radfem.org/dworkin

When it comes to fiction, I honestly don't fucking know, I guess oftentimes it relays philosophical and political thoughts to you without explicitly asserting them, so it's not as in-your-face as nonfiction.

Fun is also its own reward.
>>
>>7481571
to be better than normalfags
>>
>>7481585
>>7481616

ah yes
>>
>>7481616
>

;)
>>
File: 1450450950360.png (135 KB, 600x696) Image search: [Google]
1450450950360.png
135 KB, 600x696
>>7481616
>>
>>7481616
kek
>>
>>7481616
>Not kidding, not shilling
>implying you're not tryharding to make dworkin a meme

so transparent bro
>>
>>7481627
>meme
I wouldn't recommend her with such serious wording if I tried to make a meme of it.

The woman doesn't deserve to be a fucking 4chan meme, that would be an active insult on her.

Getting so many replies does feel somewhat satisfying though, so maybe I'll keep doing it just for that. Hmm.

>>7481624
Kirino a shit.
>>
broader spheres of thought (and thus life)
>>
>>7481571
To know that, despite how you feel, how bad it is, you arent alone.
>>
File: xFQzVP9.jpg (66 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
xFQzVP9.jpg
66 KB, 640x472
>>7481639
>maybe I'll keep doing it just for that.

riiiiight
>>
there is a quote (from a Philip K Dick book, i think) that muses on the fact that being well-read in an academic sense made her unable to experience anything in real life without trying to relate it to something that she had experienced in surrogate through fictional characters. now that i think of it, must have been Timothy Archer (since I'm pretty sure the narrator was female).
>>
when people ask me what i'm doing with my life, which is nothing, i can pretend that being well read makes me better than them or at least makes up for how pathetic my life is.
>>
>>7481654

Sorry for being too subtle. That was me asking people not to lose their shit over seeing me recommend that multiple times, and instead just accept it, because this is unlikely the last time I'll recommend these books. I feel like I discovered something that should be a fucking world classic, and yet it's incredibly obscure outside of its niche nowadays.
>>
>>7481582

Pfft, you can do that and still be ignorant as fuck. Dunning Kruger effect anyone?
>>
>>7481616
>using the word fucking
Ruined the Post.
>>
>>7481669
Meta post
>>
>>7481699
I you mean using the word "fuck" is bad because it's a word intrinsically conflating sexuality and violence, then I fully agree. I just occasionally indulge in it as a pure cuss-word.

I would absolutely never use it to describe actual sex acts. (Except maybe in some kink context in a "safe space" consisting of very few people, like just me and my partner.)
>>
>>7481616
What the fuck
>>
>>7481720
You're a walking meme my* man*

*not implying possession
*used as a contraction of human
>>
i bet no one itt recalled fragonard when they saw op pic, kill yourselfs you fucking dilettantes
>>
>>7481730

I'm not a meme, merely a bit autistic.

I just non-apologetically talk about my radical feminist ideas, although if I stop and think I know full well how ridiculous and maybe even cringe-worthy they may seem to some.

Your typical fuckhead (Ididitagain) would just laugh at that critique of the f-word, seeing it as nerdy, over-analysing, extremely nitpicking, etc.
Someone looking at the topic from a more cool-headed perspective will hopefully see that it's a rather profound realization. It's a simple 4-letter word that in on itself shows us that there's something deeply fucked up (Ididitagain) about the way our culture views sexuality. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

A similar thing is the case with the phrase "getting fucked in the ass" as meaning something really, really bad happening to someone. Little do the people using this phrase know about the pleasures one can feel from proper anal stimulation, especially men with their prostates.
>>
>>7481571
Reading Epictetus just once helped me deal with shitty stuff in my life. I was wallowing in self-pity after a terrible break-up. He kicked me on my ass; in a good way.
>>
>>7481744
No one cares about ugly hags
>>
>>7481616
you're the best new troll tbf. don't leave no matter how bullied you are.
>>
>>7481819
But that Dworkin shit is getting old, there's no discussion, no nothing, no fun. At least the christposters possessed a speck of imagination.
>>
>>7481616
This is some quality shitposting. Keep it up.

8.5/10.
>>
>>7481678
>That was me admitting I'm forcing a meme because I'm an autist

glad we cleared that up
>>
>>7481571
Absolutely nothing for people like you and me. We're barren soil, and will amount to nothing. All we are are walking usb-sticks. Any decent society should put us to death, out of kindness.
>>
>>7481911
Quite radical, bro.
>>
what's the benefit of being drunk desu senpai sugoi? because i am right now, wine and vodka, rate
i'm reading stoner right now because i couldn't get myself to read anything else even though i have a lot to read
i find stoner really easily digestable, but yeah what are you guys up to today? thnx
>>
>>7481571
On your way, you might catch on to critique of utilitarianism/scientific postivism and figure out that-
>benefits
is not a universal category.
>>
>>7481616

I enjoyed this post. Thank you, based Anon.
>>
>>7481571

You can real well.
>>
You laugh at more jokes.

There are more advantages, but this one is my favorite.
>>
u get hella cunny
>>
>>7481921
remember to stay hydrated!
>>
there are no benefits, either you enjoy reading or you don't. how much you read should depend on the answer to that question and to what extent.
>>
Whatever problem you will ever encounter has more than likely been solved and written about in a book. Reading books will give you answers to problems you have not encountered.
>>
>>7481571
maximum pussy
>>
>>7482876
maximum audience pussy for the writer, maybe.
>>
>>7483108
>audience pussy
DFW IS THAT YOU D:
>>
I read so I can understand Zizek.
>>
>>7481616
In 6 years on 4chan no matter which board I leave and no matter how long a time passes, the board always gets worse. Thanks for keeping that trend alive as I come back to /lit/
>>
>>7481582
You can do that without reading a single book after high school
>>
gives me a vague sense of purpose and direction. i don't know what the fuck else to do with my life so i read.
>>
>>7481669
deep dude
>>
>>7482848
thanks i drank a glass of water before i slept
>>
The Rings of Saturn more or less answers this question. Being well-read and well-educated is what transforms that short, and to the eye mundane, Suffolk walk into novel material. That increase in knowledge and whatever other emotial etc. acuities downright increases the meaning and content of one's life and all its situations. The well-read mind's dreams are worth as much as the barren mind's waking days.

I get that that's a political taboo but it's the internet, so I'll just assert it: of course people's minds are scalable from better to worse.
>>
>>7481616
Saved.
I'll be using this in the future.
>>
>>7481616
>>7483765
Plebs noted. I'll be gassing both of you in the future.
>>
File: 1415723865081.gif (337 KB, 470x654) Image search: [Google]
1415723865081.gif
337 KB, 470x654
>>7481878
A meme is something other people repeat. What part of what I said made it sound like I wish for that to happen?

>>7483230
>6 years
Newfag.

On a more serious note, if you're so triggered by leftist ideologies, I don't see how 4chan is getting "worse" for you. Most boards on 4chan are closer to /pol/ than tumblr. And you could always just stay in /pol/ even if the other boards weren't full of /pol/acks already.

>>7481819
>>7482309
>>7483765
I love /lit/. Here, have cuteness.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 480x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 480x365
>>7483776
I'll be triggering you in the future.
>>
>>7481616
[Shilling intensifies]
Why are you trying to force this on everyone? You have been doing it in threads for the past few days.
>>
File: Community.png (187 KB, 1226x889) Image search: [Google]
Community.png
187 KB, 1226x889
>>7483793

I think radical feminism is one of the most important contemporary humanitarian movements, if not the most important. In fact, it might be one of the most important movements in human history, when taken to its fullest form.

All politics boil down to dominance and submission if there is not an active element against interpersonal dominance. Communism turns into totalitarianism. Free market turns into capitalism. Democracy all too often turns into survival of the most cunning, manipulative, insidious politician. Anarchy amounts to no more than chaos when you cannot trust the goodwill of the people. Religion becomes a tool of control. Ideologies become tools of control. Ultimately, everything is futile.

There is one escape route from the human condition, if you ask me, and that is shaping communities to embrace an honest, sincere commitment to the well being of each other. Nothing short of a total (if gradual) revolution of human communities will do.

"There is a misery of the body and a misery of the mind, and if the stars, whenever we looked at them, poured nectar into our mouths, and the grass became bread, we would still be sad. We live in a system that manufactures sorrow, spilling it out of its mill, the waters of sorrow, ocean, storm, and we drown down, dead, too soon.

. . . uprising is the reversal of the system, and revolution is the turning of tides."

-- Julian Beck, The Life of the Theatre
>>
>>7483866
this dworkinposter is the worst gimmick this board has seen since cockroach guy

no one cares about your fat dyke rape fetishist waifu you cuck
>>
>>7483866
How can violence ever not be the main dynamic of human relationships? Seems literally impossible.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.