[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books with great premises
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Day of the Triffids: Everyone's going blind and killer plants are on the loose.

There are some books with great concepts which can be boiled down to one sentence and drag you in. It doesn't have to be just sci-fi; The Great Gatsby, in my opinion, has a great premise.

The execution may not always be perfect, but they have something unique. I've been reading books with very similar concepts for a while, and I'd like to read other books with more interesting ideas behind the conception. Is there any suggestions?
>>
A dude dies and one of his sons might have killed him
>>
Gravity's rainbow: a man's erections precipitate V2 bombings, also bananas

Infinite Jest: a movie so good you die, also legless quebecanuck assassins, failed tennis prodigies, and square-headed halfway-housers

The Tunnel: a historian frets over being unable to write an introduction and muses about cucking his wife and being a charlatan for 650 pages
>>
Blindness - Everyone's going blind
>>
A guy walks around in a specific place and time, is cheated on, and doesn't gain a young protégé.

>>7480861
Бpaтья Икaндeнзы
>>
Doctor Faustus (Thomas Mann) - a musical genius amplifies his talent a hundredfold by deliberately contracting syphilis to incur madness.
A Frolic of His Own - a man becomes so enwound in the bureaucratic labyrinth of the modern legal system he ends up suing himself
The Waves - six children (and a silent seventh) alternate stream-of-consciousness poetic soliloquies as they pass from childhood to adulthood
Zeno's Conscience - a man records his diary at the insistence of his psychiatrist, lies uncontrollably and won't shut the fuck up about his addiction to smoking
>>
Dust - Insects die out and it throws the entire ecosystem into chaos.
>>
>>7481392
not op, but that sounds a neat enough premise for me to want to read it
>>
>>7480923
Well, you sold me on at least two of those.
>>
MY DIARY 2BH
>>
>>7480882
What, no walking killer plants? Garbage.
>>
>>7483878

It is pretty garbage.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.