[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best translation of Crime and Punishment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
What's the best translation of Crime and Punishment?
>>
P&V, and I don't even normally like their translations. But they did a very good job with Crime and Punishment.
>>
>>7480110
What does P&V stand for?
>>
>>7480137
Pevear and Volkhonsky; I think they're shite. McDuff is my recommendation.
>>
I highly enjoyed C&P for its characters and the internal struggle, would the translations really change a lot?
Read McDuff btw.
>>
anyone tried new penguins translation by Oliver Ready? thinking of rereading this one
would like to read in original, but I'm super slow with cyrillic
>>
What's the difference between the McDuff and the P&V version?
>>
>>7480188
I actually have a copy of it right now. Just reading the first few pages it seems all right. I think Mcduff is probably better though.
>>
>>7480233
Why dd you delete your original post?
>>
>>7480236
Because muh autism/syntax typo
>>
File: P&V.png (72 KB, 839x565) Image search: [Google]
P&V.png
72 KB, 839x565
>>7480156
>I think they're shite
Looks like you're right. Stopped reading at closet.
>>
>>7480244
http://www.amazon.com/Punishment-Vintage-Classics-Fyodor-Dostoevsky-ebook/dp/B008QLVMTI
>>
>>7480244
What the fuck is up with the dashes? That's also in my book, is it supposed to be censored or someshit?
>>
>>7480260
When it was first published in the original Russian the street names were censored for some reason. If you have a footnoted version it'll tell you that Fyodor's wife claimed it was Stolyarnyi Lane and Kokushin Bridge.
>>
>>7480274
Shit, looks like mine's not one with footnotes.

Hopefully this won't cause any trouble for me while reading this book. It's the first non-English book I'm about to read (other than religious text).
>>
>>7480109
don't read it, it's a ghastly rigmarole
>>
>>7480109
I read it in polish translation. Our language is much more similiar to russian than english. Dont read Dostoyevsky in english guys
>>
>>7480260
>>7480274
Dashing out names of places and people like that was fairly common at the time.
>>
>>7480244
holy shit this reads like an autistic manchild's diary. Get a fucking job moron. There, I saved everyone a month of tedious reading and re-reading.
>>
>>7480109
Garnett. Fuck any snooty shitbags that disagree.
>>
>>7480260
>>7480274
Huh, the Swedish translation doesn't have the dashes.
>>
>>7480244

Comparing this to McDuff has convinced me to hurry up and learn Russian. They're fairly similar, but they both have some weird fucking turns of phrase that makes me go "wait, what?"
>>
I reread the first few pages of P&V's C&P recently and found the prose a lot more jarring than I remembered. Avsey and Maguire are much better writers than Pevear.
>>
>reading a translation
>a translation
>reading

nice plebbing itt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl59biItfY
>>
>>7480787
That's not the translation mate. Dostoevsky couldn't write himself out of a paper bag.
>>
>>7480109
constance garnett.
>>
>>7480244
CHAPTER ONE
ON AN EXCEPTIONALLY HOT evening early in July a young man came out of the tiny room which he rented from tenants in S. Place1 and walked slowly, as though in hesitation, towards K. Bridge.2
He had successfully avoided meeting his landlady on the stairs. His closet of a room was under the roof of a high, five-floor house and was more like a cupboard than a place in which to live. The landlady who provided him with the room and with dinner and service lived on the floor below, and every time he went out he was obliged to pass her kitchen, the door of which was always open. And each time he passed, the young man had a sick, frightened feeling, which made him grimace and feel ashamed. He was hopelessly in debt to his landlady and was afraid of meeting her.

the constance garnett is better.
>>
>>7480109
the one you posted
>>
>>7480345
I read half way when I was 14 and enjoyed it. Having to reread it would be a chore though.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.