[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Write book about how it's OK to lie as long it sounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Yann Martel.jpg (259 KB, 1536x1037) Image search: [Google]
Yann Martel.jpg
259 KB, 1536x1037
>Write book about how it's OK to lie as long it sounds better than the truth
>Win prize
>>
If you don't lie at all you end up like Meursault
>>
>>7480073
KILLING AN ARAB
>>
>>7480073
>>7480075

HOW IS THIS BAD
>>
honestly i think that's an interesting idea and he presented it in an imaginative and well-written manner, even if i don't ultimately agree with it
>>
That's what all fiction tells you. That the narratives we live by are more convenient. Fiction is never about truth, because the truth is boring/dull/uninteresting and wouldn't make for a good story.
>>
>>7481914
fiction is about how you feel when reading it
>>
>>7481914
On the contrary, great art justifies hard truth with aesthetics.
>>
>Trent university alumni

Ayy
>>
He completely copied the whole thing from the movie too
>>
If you wanted truth you wouldn't be reading a novel.
>>
>>7480075
Meursault wanted to make Algeria great again
>>
>>7482166
KANTIAN
MODS! MODS!
>>
>>7480051
I don't think Pi definitively said either way what the truth was.
I think it's more of a commentary towards "pure" agnostics.
as in not only those who claim to not be able to prove if or if not there is a god, but also don't believe either way.
Because at the end of the day not choosing one of the stories to believe is avoiding the question.

Then the secondary proposal is whether or not you choose to believe what is easier to believe or what is more fantastical but also more beautiful to believe.

Not that I really think it should affect my interpretation, but I myself am an agnostic theist.
>(Believe in a god but don't claim to know for a fact there is one, it's simply what I prefer to believe)
>>
>>7480051
>my favorite book
>>
It's a good book. The story about the tiger isn't a lie. He simply says that science is boring and believes a believable fiction over an unbelievable reality. That said the book is really more about parental abandonment and the character has a really noble outlook on dealing with adversity - he's a typical hero. I really enjoyed it and no shitpost's going to change that
>>
>>7481914
>being this pleb
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.