[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /lit/'s opinion on Dickens?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Charles Dickens.jpg (70 KB, 619x503) Image search: [Google]
Charles Dickens.jpg
70 KB, 619x503
What's /lit/'s opinion on Dickens?
>>
he's not american enough to be respected
>>
>>7479804
Insecure little girl who liked to get his fudge packed in
>>
>>7479804

Alright but a wannabe poor man's Victor Hugo.
>>
>>7479804
fun. not brilliant, but fun. something to read between difficult novels, takes the place of genre fiction after you have reached a certain point of reading in life.
>>
>>7479804
Fucking despise the man
>>
"dick"

lmao
>>
>>7479804

I can't read Great Expectations anymore without imagining that South Park episode which parodied it.
>>
>>7479894
>watches South Park

Reported for being underage
>>
>>7479910
South Park is rated M for mature, i.e. for people aged 18 years or older, so I, a watcher of the mature show, could not be underage
>>
>>7479912
>boasts and defends watching a children's show
>>
>>7479912
ur literally that autistickind of person that tries explaining a "funny" family guy episode to someone they saw on tv the night before
>>
>>7479919
>>7479915

wew lads, not very bright are you?
>>
>>7479804
he got paid based off of how long his books were, not based off of how good they were/how well they sold, so he writes with tons of fluff and filler
>>
>>7479920
No you're just a fucking immature faggot who likes of watching fucking shit like southpark you dumbass pleb faggot
>>
>>7479923
hello reddit
>>
>>7479910
>Watching a particular episode 15 years ago
>Underage
>>
>>7479804
Great Expectations is one of the very few books I chose not to finish in my youth
>>
A master of caricature who wrote several of the most entertaining books in all of English literature. Endlessly talented and rightfully Canon.
>>
>>7479804
This thread is a miserable surprise. I assumed lit with love the D. Pure prose monster, even when he was writing for serials. And of course there's Dickens stuff which doesn't fit that category. Christmas Carol, Tale of Two Cities are tight. Bleak House was serialised but is way more cohesive than most.
>>
At his best, his works are highly subversive and filled with wonderful prose. At his worst, it's sentimental dreck and often hilariously so.
>>
Start With Pickwick Papers.
Stop With Pickwick Papers.
>>
File: 3423432432432.gif (3 MB, 218x168) Image search: [Google]
3423432432432.gif
3 MB, 218x168
>this thread
>>
He's a huge hack, but he's a talented and entertaining hack.
>>
>>7480150
>>7481901

I always mention him when I see a comfy thread, with little response. Maybe his writing is too earnest and not cynical enough to be popular here.
>>
>>7479922
My college seminar was on Dickens, and the professor, who was a Dickens expert, said that was not at all true. I don't remember his explanation though.
>>
>>7481901
tolstoy's favourite book was david copperfield
>>
>>7482684
it's the same problem with dostoevsky. they're such popular authors that it has become unfashionable to adore them. though, i will say, david copperfield was a bit grueling near the end. i think one of the first times i laughed while reading was the funeral procession in a tale of two cities. it was just so absurd to see a group of people go from sorrow to a raving mob so quickly.
>>
nowhere near as good as tolstoy, dostoyevsky, turgenev, balzac, hugo, flaubert.

mediocre.
>>
>>7479923
you're so mature anon teach me
>>
File: MEDIOCRE.jpg (20 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
MEDIOCRE.jpg
20 KB, 480x270
>>7483816
>>
>>7479912

half the audience is like 13 or 14

I think the first 2 seasons were pretty funny but most after that is fucking garbage
>>
>>7479804
To me, he's the go-to for any wannabe liberal kids. Not necessarily great, but definitely not bad. Same with Freud.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.