[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good starting point?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Is this a good starting point?
>>
>>7479147
Starting point to what?
>>
>>7479152
Epikektus/Stoicism
>>
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 196x257) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 196x257
>>7479165
>Stoicism
this is better
>>
>>7479242

I'm trying to do both.
>>
For what?
>>
>>7479147
yes, it's a good starting point to anything
that's also the best translation
i would suggest some plato first but whatever
>>
>>7479165
Yes that and meditations and letters from a stoic and you're on your way.
>>
>>7479251

I'm reading now that the Everyman version is the best.
>>
>>7479281
>Everyman
huh they have a new oxford edition translated by the same guy (as the everyman), go with that
i read this a while back
i like how they don't bother with the repetitive ones, honestly. epictetus didn't write the thing, it was compiled from a student's lecture notes, so it's no problem to go "abridged" in this case.
but anyway, go for it
>>
What are you doing?

Get the Loeb Classical Library 2 volume set of the Discourses and The Enchiridion.

Then grab Letters from a Stoic and Meditations.

Meditations is the easiest intro, to be honest. It's also just a diary though.
>>
>>7480675
>Loeb Classical Library 2 volume set

I have the Penguin Classics edition of Meditations on Kindle, how is their edition of Letters from a Stoic?
>>
>Stoicism
>>
>>7480694
The Loeb Seneca is 6 volumes I think. I didn't get that because I feel like it'd be a slog to go through all of his stuff.

I think the Penguin Seneca is the standard go-to translation.

Aurelius has better translations than the Loeb or the Penguin. The Hays translation is the best.
>>
>>7480696

>Greentext response
>>
>>7480696
Understanding Stoicism is important to understanding the Roman empire, as it was a major philosophy at the time that influenced a great deal of the government.
>>
>>7480696
Fuck off breh. Stoicism is fucking manly.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.