[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/, do you know of any books that make a compelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Trinity.jpg (237 KB, 1640x2322) Image search: [Google]
Trinity.jpg
237 KB, 1640x2322
Hello /lit/, do you know of any books that make a compelling case for traditional marriage and the importance of gender roles in modern society? I would prefer something that goes beyond "those dum leftists"
Thanks.
>>
File: excellent.webm (138 KB, 374x362) Image search: [Google]
excellent.webm
138 KB, 374x362
The Holy Bible
>>
book of life 2bh
>>
>>7475551

I am currently writing that book.

I argue that having children is a necessary step towards caring for a society's future.

I don't care about gender roles, though. The only people who defy them are the ones who wouldn't be very good at fulfilling them anyway, so there's absolutely no need to meditate over or enforce the concept.
>>
File: 1418861046060.jpg (60 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
1418861046060.jpg
60 KB, 498x668
>>7475578
>I argue that having children is a necessary step towards caring for a society's future.

How's that plan working out for Africa?
>>
>>7475583
Inane example.
>>
>>7475551
Literally read Kierkegaard's Either/Or mate
>>
>>7475583
Really well, because if they did not have those children, the place would be an empty wasteland.

>>7475551
I haven't read any of these, but perhaps some of those "theology of the body" type books. Those usually explain the importance of children and procreation, at least.
>>
>do you know of any books that make a compelling case for traditional marriage and the importance of gender roles in modern society?

But these values are obviously bunk shit.

Read FoucaultĀ“s stuff on sexuality. He deals with the relationship between medieval family values and 19th century ideas about sexuality.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Sexuality
>>
>>7475583

I said 'step' not 'key'
>>
>>7475630
This is crude and offensive, delete it.
>>
Roger Scruton - Sexual Desire
>>
isnt thats what BNW is about?
>>
>>7475551
Plato's Republic
>want a good nation?
>encourage traditional families
>have a good nation?
>traditional families do better
>have better children
>children become better citizens
>nation becomes better

Most anything by G.K. Chesterton
>>
>>7476608
Have you even read his Republic?
>>
>>7476608
>>7476620
Why do anglos translate the Politeia as "Republic"? That term wasn't coined until much later - it is not even greek.
And then again, how do you translate Cicero's "De Res Publica"?
>>
>>7476676
It is a tradition taken from Latin and older translations. Sometimes it gets called The Statesman, which is, I believe, what the Germans do.
Cicero's De Res Publica is often left untranslated or as variations of 'On the Republic'
>>
>>7476687
Germans leave it untranslated "Politeia", or sometimes translate it to "The State".

De Res Publica is "On public subjects".
>>
>>7476687
It isn't called the Statesman in English, there is a separate dialogue called the Statesman.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.