[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this novel. Does Charly Gordon die like Algernon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: flowers-for-algernon_qapkzc.jpg (29 KB, 284x325) Image search: [Google]
flowers-for-algernon_qapkzc.jpg
29 KB, 284x325
Just finished this novel.

Does Charly Gordon die like Algernon?
>>
>>7475254
Wondering the same thing.
My impression was no.
>>
this book was trash 2bhwy
>>
>>7475254
No as far as I know.
He became retarded again.

It's a nice little book.
>>
>>7475647
Ive read the book, i mean based on evidence in the novel, does he eventually deteriorate into death like the mouse? I like to think yes
>>
I only read the short story but my impression is that it follows that the "Algernon-Gordon Effect" was the cause of Algernon's death and it must follow that it would cause Gordon's death too. The story merely ended on the note that Gordon's death would be implied and assumed.
>>
>>7475254
I never got this impression all the times I've read it. To me algernon just died of old age. But it's been a long time since I've read it.
>>
long time since i read it, but i am pretty sure his death is implied. but that's the magic of books - you can decide whatever you want!
>>
I think he just leaves because his mind is returning to its previous state.
>>
>>7475254
Basically yes.

He degenerates (like algernon) and -knowing his end is near- writes a final letter to whatsherface and relegates himself to an asylum I think, he can't hold a job or really effectively communicate since he loses what little intelligence he had originally
>>
I decide that he miraculously regains enough iq points to become 20 points above average, hunts down his lady love, and they rekindle their relationship. They decide to get married. The first three years goes great, but then the lady's sex drive starts to decline and she starts gaining weight, and Charlie is none to kind to her about that. The lady doesn't have the balls to bring up Charlie's thinning hair or routine erectile distinction as a negative, but they both know its a problem. So they decide to have a baby, each one secretly hoping that it will rekindle their relationship. It doesn't. She quits her job to stay home win the kid and so Charlie has to do double time at his unfulfilling job to support them (the life of a midling academic doesn't being home nearly as much money as Charlie needs to support a household of three, so he has to lower his standards and find another manual labor job). He starts to resent her and the kid even harder. The lady routinely locks herself in the bathroom and cries when Charlie comes home from work in a bad mood (this is most days). He then stands outside the bathroom door, screaming at her that everyday that he prays to God to make him retarded again, or to kill him like he did algenon. The baby, three years old, hides under the blankets and covers his ears because he hates it so when mommy and daddy fight.

The twist? Algenon never actually die. There is no getting off this ride, Charlie.
>>
>>7476994
Everyone eventually deteriorates into death, senpai.
>>
>>7475254
It's hard to know. Mice aren't especially long-lived and stress (like getting tested constantly) can shorten their lives substantially.
>>
Would you recommend this book?
>>
>>7480453
Made me cry like a little bitch. I don't usually care for sci-fi but it's a lovely written novella
>>
>>7478232
Hahahahaha
>>
>>7480453
Absolutely recommended. It's somewhat entry - tier, but it's well written and explores some great themes.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.