[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I cried several times during the course of this book. I almost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Lolita_1955.jpg (30 KB, 361x606) Image search: [Google]
Lolita_1955.jpg
30 KB, 361x606
I cried several times during the course of this book. I almost stopped because I knew there could be no way for H.H. to have a happy life with Lo, and I felt so attached to that relationship not because I too am attracted to Nymphets, but it reminded me so much of my first love.

This is the first book that's left me emotionally crippled upon completion. I started digging through old journal entries, photos, and gifts that all relate to my first love. I haven't really eaten well in a few days and I've been eating muscle relaxers and drinking wine. I'm not trying to be an edgelord. This book just genuinely fucked me up and made me realize I had never dealt with that part of my life. I don't even know why I'm telling you all this, you most likely don't care or will call me a faggot. That's fine. I just have no one else to discuss this book with and I don't know where to reach out to.

Fuck you Nabokov. I wasn't ready for these feels.
>>
Don't read Ada; you might kill yourself.
>>
“What I heard was but the melody of children at play, nothing but that, and so limpid was the air that within this vapor of blended voices, majestic and minute, remote and magically near, frank and divinely enigmatic—one could hear now and then, as if released, an almost articulate spurt of vivid laughter, or the crack of a bat, or the clatter of a toy wagon, but it was all really too far for the eye to distinguish any movement in the lightly etched streets. I stood listening to that musical vibration from my lofty slope, to those flashes of separate cries with a kind of demure murmur for background, and then I knew that the hopelessly poignant thing was not Lolita’s absence from my side, but the absence of her voice from that concord.”
>>
>>7471572
She hated him
>>
>>7471572
I highly suggest to you to grow the fuck up and quickly. HH. is a severely retarded imbecile who is severely immature. If you identify with his feelings you clearly missed the absolute lack of an actual human relationship between himself and lola.
>>
>>7471759
i actually cried. not sobbing cried, but tears actually fell. first and only time ever for me for a novel
>>
>>7471572
>I cried several times during the course of this book

stopped reading there, if you didn't cry of laughter then you don't understand this book and i feel sorry for you
>>
>tfw want to buy a physical copy of the book so everyone knows I'm reading but don't want everyone to know what I'm reading
Is this rag even worth buying?
>>
>>7471572
I just cried reading Stoner. Not the only time I've ever cried from reading, but one of only a few. And like you, OP, I cried because certain things in the book reminded me of people I know and love.
>>
Just started this, it's taking me a long time because of the amount of words Nabokov uses that I don't know.
Im a pleb. I really like it so far though.
>>
>>7471790
>
>>7471842

yeah, pretty clear you autsits didn't read my post. I clearly said that I don't identify with Humbert, but the story itself just reminded me of my first love.
>>
>>7472446
did u rape ur first love and hold her hostage then kill her next boyfriend or something
>>
>>7472475

Humbert's first love wasn't Lolita, so this question is invalid and you should read the novel before posting anything else in this thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 750x745) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 750x745
>>7471847
Who cares, no one is going to think you're a pedo, they'll just think you're being #edgy
>>
>>7472475
>not raping your first love because you were raped as a kid and then lose interest like your rapist did after they got what they wanted and then becoming morbidly depressed after they move on and want nothing to do with you

It's like you don't even know how to be a mentally corrupt, abused, depressed, and haunted teenager.

>>>/sci/
>>
>>7472446
Try reading Ada next.
>>
>>7471572
Empathy, it starts growing late teens and finishes mid 30s, enjoy the ride. You just started de-teening.
>>
>>7471572
Yep, I first knew those feels about 30 years ago and they haven't gone away.
Basically Humbert, by having loathesome sexual urges, embodies the loathing that so many feel for their own more normal urges.
Or that's my take on it, anyway
>>
>>7472560
Shut up idiot
>>
>>7472484
i was referring to op's first love, not humbert's, lrn2context before sperging out.
>>
>>7472580
no u
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.